Are these Vermetid snails

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got some live rock and was curious if everything on it is mainly Vermetid snails or something else?

LR1.jpg

LR2.jpg

LR3.jpg

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try some bubble bee snail to eat some of the vermetids. For the duster worm tubes, is just best to manually break them off?

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I broke my last tank down because of these. They irritated and killed everything. I would lose my crap if I had a rock that looked like that again.
dang, and I was thinking it was a decent live rock but now I'm starting to think otherwise.

PetitReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
nemetid are the ban of my reef tank, even bubble snail cannot eat them fast enough.
aside from iritating corals, i am wonders also that because there is so many of them that they outcompting my acropora for foods as i cannot seems to feeds them enough.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like feather dusters to me... you'll have to watch to see what pops out of them... if they shoot out nets, they're vermited. If they look like the back end of a badminton birdie then they're dusters.
Awesome description @Sisterlimonpot! Never thought of them that way, but it's a perfect description.

And yes to the OP, they mostly look like duster worms to me, I do not see the typical spiral of a vermetid.

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They look more like feather dusters to me... you'll have to watch to see what pops out of them... if they shoot out nets, they're vermited. If they look like the back end of a badminton birdie then they're dusters.
I believe I have a feather duster infestation. How do I get rid of them without harming my other invertebrates? There are too many to manually remove.The largest piece of live rock with them on it happens to be where my 2 bubble anemones live.

Borat

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid snail tubes are hard and strong, feather dusters are very fragile. It's difficult to judge which ones these are..

slingfox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope for you those are mostly feather dusters. It seems like the opinion here is you mostly have feather dusters which is great! I also got some
Live rock to supplement dry Marko Rock. I added 5 bumblebee snails last month and they all found their way to the various pieces of live rock and have never left. They have shown zero interest in the Marko rock. Perhaps some could be helpful here.

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll try some bubble bee snail to eat some of the vermetids. For the duster worm tubes, is just best to manually break them off?
I am looking for a bumble bee snail. Where did you find one?

jvbear

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Vermitid snail tubes are hard and strong, feather dusters are very fragile. It's difficult to judge which ones these are..
I am not sure if I have feather dusters or barnacles.

chema

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience feather dusters have white tubes while vermetid snails mostly have dark tubes. According to that I would say most if not all you have in those rocks are feather dusters. I also agree that feather dusters tubes are much more fragile than vermetids tubes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Tube works and they emit a fan for feeding and often called dusters. Vermetids have a calcium like housing and use a secretion to capture their food often looking like a fishing pole lol

OP
OP
R

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
after adding a dozen bumble bees, one hermit crab, one turbo snail, one trochus snail, and temporarily borrowed an urchin, things on the rock look a lot cleaner to me. No more hair algae as well. I can’t say if they actual ate everything but to the eye it looks better.

Attachments

• IMG_3530.jpeg
    IMG_3530.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3531.jpeg
    IMG_3531.jpeg
    186.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3533.jpeg
    IMG_3533.jpeg
    199.9 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_3532.jpeg
    IMG_3532.jpeg
    204.5 KB · Views: 13

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back