Asterina starfish eating zoas!

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can lead a horse to the water but can't make him drink......
Just healthy debating here. So you believe that the single star one his green slimer is eating healthy coral tissue? That star is doing just what I said they do, feasting on the dead tissue necrosis. SPS begin to die from the base like that when there is issue whether it is alk drop or swing, Ca drop, elemental issues, etc. When there are pests, the part where the pest is eating will die first. And if it were eating healthy coral tissue, it would keep moving with the healthy coral tissue.

Ever see acros infested with AEFW? There are marks all over from the AEFW eating away the healthy coral tissue. The guy filming that video, speculation on my part, seems like a newer refer. His LFS probably told him asterinas are eating his coral to sell him a harlequin because thats what they do. But without a doubt there is certainly no evidence on that video of star fish eating any coral.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just healthy debating here. So you believe that the single star one his green slimer is eating healthy coral tissue? That star is doing just what I said they do, feasting on the dead tissue necrosis. SPS begin to die from the base like that when there is issue whether it is alk drop or swing, Ca drop, elemental issues, etc. When there are pests, the part where the pest is eating will die first. And if it were eating healthy coral tissue, it would keep moving with the healthy coral tissue.

Ever see acros infested with AEFW? There are marks all over from the AEFW eating away the healthy coral tissue. The guy filming that video, speculation on my part, seems like a newer refer. His LFS probably told him asterinas are eating his coral to sell him a harlequin because thats what they do. But without a doubt there is certainly no evidence on that video of star fish eating any coral.
Hahahahahah hopeless.....

The funny thing is I already knew posting video evidence would result in it getting ripped apart IE calling 915mang a newer reefer. I've seen starfish shaped holes in my corals the same way you get starfish shaped holes on coralline algae. I'm not going to post evidence of that because my goal in life is not to try to convince you otherwise. That would be an exercise in futility. I will just say I don't like starfish sitting and resting (not eating according to you) on my corals and I remove them just as fast. No loitering on my corals!!!

Last edited:

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you something... So the coralline algae that the starfish feed on...that was "sick and dying " too right???
what is this obsession with people saying starfish or whatever only feeding on dead tissue necrosis..... what the heck is that?

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you something... So the coralline algae that the starfish feed on...that was "sick and dying " too right???
what is this obsession with people saying starfish or whatever only feeding on dead tissue necrosis..... what the heck is that?
Sea stars eat corraline for the nutrients and cal alk an mag in it.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahahahahah hopeless.....

The funny thing is I already knew posting video evidence would result in it getting ripped apart IE calling 915mang a newer reefer. I've seen starfish shaped holes in my corals the same way you get starfish shaped holes on coralline algae. I'm not going to post evidence of that because my goal in life is not to try to convince you otherwise. That would be an exercise in futility. I will just say I don't like starfish sitting and resting (not eating according to you) on my corals and I remove them just as fast. No loitering on my corals!!!
I was just looking at evidence for the claim. Many say they do but we haven’t seen it.
Just video like this with a star on a dead thing.

It’s not ripping. It’s just a question of evidence.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did they eat them?
Ohh yeah, literally had the neon colors in the mouth of the starfish when peeled off. They decimated our colony man. We had over 150 big polyps too, down to about 50. We're winning the battle though. Also, I couldn't pin point a certain color or pattern on the asterina that would be considered bad. With so many species it's impossible. I've pulled off dark ones, white ones, never seemed to matter. They reproduce so fast we just don't risk it anymore and remove them. Another thing I noticed @saltyfilmfolks They seemed to eat from the top down, haven't noticed them eating at the stalk.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ohh yeah, literally had the neon colors in the mouth of the starfish when peeled off. They decimated our colony man. We had over 150 big polyps too, down to about 50. We're winning the battle though. Also, I couldn't pin point a certain color or pattern on the asterina that would be considered bad. With so many species it's impossible. I've pulled off dark ones, white ones, never seemed to matter. They reproduce so fast we just don't risk it anymore and remove them. Another thing I noticed @saltyfilmfolks They seemed to eat from the top down, haven't noticed them eating at the stalk.
I have seen only one video wit concrete proof. And oddly , the star shared the exact same color patterns as stars I have. I’ve never really refuted it happens , but it’s odd that it doesn’t all the time.
I point to the file fish I got for aptasia once. Immediately started killing my shrimps and then started on the fish and the roughe crab that ate a female Mandy. It doesn’t happen to everyone.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen only one video wit concrete proof. And oddly , the star shared the exact same color patterns as stars I have. I’ve never really refuted it happens , but it’s odd that it doesn’t all the time.
I point to the file fish I got for aptasia once. Immediately started killing my shrimps and then started on the fish and the roughe crab that ate a female Mandy. It doesn’t happen to everyone.
I'm with ya. If I didn't see it happen and literally watch the zoa disintegrate I'd be hard pressed to believe. I don't think there all bad by any means. I guess we just got lucky:eek:;Hilarious

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please link the video. Thank you very much.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously can't believe people get this worked up about these things. One or two species might eat a few zoa polyps now and then. Yawn. The rest are harmless or, omg, they eat coralline algae, how horrible! If you're actually short on coralline algae, you need to do a lot more with your tank than just worry about asterinas. These things are slow and not so small, they can be removed manually with ease, it just takes a bit of time and effort if you've let it go so long that you've got a lot of them (your own fault). Of the things we worry about that threaten our aquaria, asterinas are way, way, WAY down the list.

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I seriously can't believe people get this worked up about these things. One or two species might eat a few zoa polyps now and then. Yawn. The rest are harmless or, omg, they eat coralline algae, how horrible! If you're actually short on coralline algae, you need to do a lot more with your tank than just worry about asterinas. These things are slow and not so small, they can be removed manually with ease, it just takes a bit of time and effort if you've let it go so long that you've got a lot of them (your own fault). Of the things we worry about that threaten our aquaria, asterinas are way, way, WAY down the list.
If that "few zoa polyps" that get eaten are $200 dollar polyps "now and then," then you would understand.

In addition, I HATE the look of corralline algae rock with white starfish-shaped spots all over, looks like they have white spot chicken pox. That's my personal taste. and yes, to me, it's HORRIBLE. Again, if you've experienced this as well, then you would understand my sentiment.

Furthermore, my beef is that instead of a "healthy debate", 915mang gets called a new reefer. Disparaging, belittling and putting down another reefer in order to try to discredit them or prove your own point pizzes me off. And I'm standing up for 915mang.

Last edited:

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see both sides to it but getting worked up is not worth it. I disagree with easy removal. They can be very tiny and hide in the smallest of places. When someone is told that there all harmless and then the population explodes and expensive zoas are being eaten then I can see the frustration, I've been there. I always give advice to proceed with caution because it's nearly impossible to tell the bad ones from the good ones.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 87 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.2%
Back