Asterinea Starfish—pest or helper?

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As most of us know we have seen a lot of these little, cute starfish in our tanks. We wonder if they are a good thing or bad thing in our self contained aquatic biospheres. Some say they are good, some say they are a nuisance and try to eradicate them using Harlequin Shrimp, tweezers, or any other way they can get them out of the tank.

"They feed on microscopically small invertebrates, carrion, detritus, microalgae and possibly bacterial films. Their enormous advantage lies in their small size - they only need small amounts of food to survive."[1]

The school is out on whether or not Asterina are good or bad. What is known is that they do eat algae. Hobbyists have found them, doing what they believe is eating corals, but are they? When I had my 125 set up, I did see one leaving a white trail as he moved across one of my monti caps. I immediately went out and got a Harley to take care of them.

" This starfish is capable of destroying large colonies of Acropora. If you notice that your Acropora colonies start to turn bright white at the base in a sharp edged pattern you may have an infestation of the starfish. It is important that you remove the coral and search under the base for these starfish. This damage looks different from bleaching because the damage is very localized and it increases each day. This damage can cause bacteria to infect the damaged areas and this can cause the lose of the entire head. Many of the starfish varieties prefer Stylophora and Pocillopora. It is important to watch for white patches at the base of these corals."[2]

What is believed is that if Asterina go after corals it is because the amount of algae in the tank is not enough to sustain them so they move on to the corals as a food source. Those that see them on zoas “eating them” it is usually a zoa that is unhealthy and the Asterina is “culling” the colony. I, myself have seen Asterina in the middle of a Zoa colony with no ill effects to the colony, or that particular Zoa.

"One, or perhaps more, species of small sea stars in the family Asterina is the only sea star that can be said to thrive in some reef aquaria at the present time. The species is indeterminate; its geographical origin is uncertain, and there are numerous similar described species. These are small brown, tan or grey animals, generally not more than about half an inch (13 mm) in diameter. Flattened from top to bottom, their three to seven rays and central disk merge into one another. They reproduce asexually by fission and if there is sufficient food almost all the stars in a population will be regenerating rays or other body parts. They are substrate feeders and move around with their stomachs extruded over the substrate digesting who knows what. It is a pity that these animals are so drab. In some systems, they are quite prolific and even if they don't thrive, they appear to be able to survive in most others. Occasionally, some populations of these asterina have been reported by aquarists to eat either soft corals or stony corals. These coral-eating forms, perhaps different species, seem to be quite uncommon, constituting less than five percent of the various populations."[3]

With this being presented, my suggestion is to remove any of the starfish IF you see them presenting as a problem to your corals. Should populations get out of control, Harlequin Shrimp will cut down on the populations, however, the shrimp will only eat the feed of starfish and thus run out of food, unless fed or removed to another source of its food supply.

"With progress in natural marine aquarium keeping, increasing numbers of so-called "starfish" successfully reproduce. Applications like deep sand beds and refugium habitats seem to support such success. Some species may become a nuisance by their sheer numbers and prolific nature like Asterina, while others are clearly harmless or helpful by stirring detritus or consuming algae, for example."[4]

[1] Daniel Knop , Steinkorralen im Aquarium, Band 2. (Stony Corals in the Aquarium, Volume 2) Natur und Tierverlag, Munster, Germany. 2002
[2] Garf, GARF predatory starfish 11/25/01 2001
[3] Dr Ron Schmek, reefkeeping.com, Echinoderms in Aquaria... by Ronald L. Shimek, Ph.D. - Reefkeeping.com 2004
[4] Anthony Calfo, reefkeeping.com, http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-0...ture/index.php 2004

Last edited by a moderator:

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen them on my Zoa's plug. They got a little ****** off but didn't get eaten.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pest IMO. Some may be harmless but I've seen certain varieties decimate healthy zoanthid colonies.

steamer51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I suspect there are good and bad ones. I must have the good ones because they came with the live rock in 2006 and I have maintained a healthy colony that has never harmed anything. They eat algae off the glass and I assume detritus in the sand and rocks. I have never seen them on any living thing and consider them an interesting and valuable part of my CUC.

neuwave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for me, they have just started to overrun my tank. While some are eating algae off the glass, others are starting to destroy my zoas. I'm on the hunt for a harlequin shrimp to get them out.

Devonjevon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them when I first started my tank. The overran everything and where everywhere. Unfortunately I wasn't very good at keeping my reef stable at the time and I wiped them out with the rest of my corals. Just newbie mistakes.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pest, i had a whole colony of zoa get destroyed. Lucky i caught them in time

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
defiantly a pest! even if they arent eating your corals they irritating them.
and why does everyone say harlequin shrimp? they dont eat starfish. if they run out of food they will eat the feet of them but not the starfish. in the wild they live on sponges eating particles out of the water, therefore it is a filter feeder

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There are many different Asterinea's and to say they are all bad is completely wrong. That is like saying all bristle worms are bad.
Some are bad and others are not. Usually the Darker ones are bad.

Dave Polzin

spscrazy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't had any problems out of mine but I don't have any zoos I have some larger white ones & some that stay really small and are dark green, almost can't see them when they are one the rock.
I have seen them on my sps especially if my birdnest is getting algae on the tips but have not seen any damage

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few different ones I have seen white,white with orange specks larger dark green ones probably a few more I havent noticed

I have never seen any of them eating corals just crawling around on them
IMO-anything that irritates corals is bad!!

OP
OP
Murfman

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen them crawling over my Zoas to no ill effect. I have also seen them on the stalks and the zoa closed up. I don't think they are feeding on the zoa but "cleaning" the micro algae that might be forming on them due to lack of flow.

Wy Renegade

Zs and Ps/PE collector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had them for years and never had any actual cases of them eating zoas. I've even gotten before and after pictures of them on the zoas, showing no ill effects. However, I've also read enough accounts by others describing their destructive behaviors to be cautious, and keep an eye on things. I believe that in all likelyhood there are different species, some each types of corals, others eat only algae, etc.

maharsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, Harlequin shrimp do eat them, my tank is living proof. They ate every last one of them, I was over run.

defiantly a pest! even if they arent eating your corals they irritating them.
and why does everyone say harlequin shrimp? they dont eat starfish. if they run out of food they will eat the feet of them but not the starfish. in the wild they live on sponges eating particles out of the water, therefore it is a filter feeder

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO there are good and bad astrea's. Unfortunately I have both in my tank. Everyone always says "the only reason it was eating your zoa's is because it was dying"....this is not true. I have personally pulled them off zoa's and the zoa's were defending themselves and were perfectly healthy. Nothing like looking at your one $100+ zoa and seeing an astrea sucking its guts out : )

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the shrimp was starving so it ate the feet off the starfish, not the starfish itself. the starfish body just rots in the tank

harliquin shrimp live on top sponges eating the larger particles in the water the sponge eats the smaller particles

dknuckles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dark backed star are the bad ones.
I have personally witnessed them in a V-formation clear cutting an acro.
Have been warned by Skyhigh for years, never listened until I saw that!!!

Back