ATI ICP discrepancy with salinity

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got my ICP test back and it said my salinity was 32 ppm. But I keep my salinity at 35 ish give or take .2 swings with temp swings. But I checked my apex for that morning and it read 34.8, and they day before I did a water change and put 35 back in according to my refractometer. And I always double check my ATC refrac with my old school hydrometer, to make sure the reading are the same. I also zero the refrac with tap on WC day.

There’s always a chance that my apex, refrac and hydrometer are all giving me the wrong reading, but unlikely. Also, the corals are great and the inverts are all doing well too.

Has anyone else had the same issue with ATI and salinity? Is there something in the shipping time/process that could decrease the salinity a full 3ppm????

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember what my salinity was when I did an ATI icp a couple of years ago. I sent in two seperate test from two tanks including rodi samples pulled from the same container at the same time. The rodi result were so different from each other that I had zero confidence in the test and binned the results. I trust my refractometer and hydrometer more than any icp test. JME

KStatefan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with the ATI test but are they measuring salinity or calculating it from the ICP results?

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also trust your hydrometer over the ICP. I'm going to be sending an ATI ICP out next week so will keep an eye out for this.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 43 20.3%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 156 73.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 4.7%
Back