Australian live rock

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got an orange filter for my phone finally. The pod explosion continues and the rock is really starting to color up, I think it might be time to order a small cuc!

PXL_20220326_005445102.jpg

PXL_20220326_005506789.jpg

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could perhaps explain some of the color loss:

!!! Australian Liverock was 24.99/lb now 20.99/lb !!!

IMG_1991.jpg
IMG_1996.jpg

Aussie Live Rock, by the pound. Limited quantities​

This is the remainder of our last Australian liverock received from the Cairns area. At this point we have been curing these pieces for well over a month in a system without lights. As a result the rock has lost some color here and there but is still chalked full of benefifcial microorganisms and diverse bacteria populations, reflective of the lowered price.

This rock is perfect for seeding established systems and has cycled through here in house. Coraline algae is in a state of flux and should continue to color up once received. All pieces vary. Picture of sample rock taken on Mar 18 2022.

Includes Overnight Shipping, rock is packed to last 48 hours in the box

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This could perhaps explain some of the color loss:

This tracks. I was perplexed by all of the smooth Stony white growth all over my rock, and now I can see small spots turning purple, I imagine that's bleached coralline?

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps. I didn’t order any this go around (though I’m sure I’ll regret it later

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got an ulva explosion happening on my live rock but when I look closely I can see some corals that have actually survived the journey. An encrusting species that I thought was fully bleached is now full of wiggly polyps. There is even a polyp of what looks to be a red zoa of sorts. Here are some embarrassingly low quality and poorly filtered pictures.
PXL_20220402_190842904.jpg
PXL_20220402_191246282~2.jpg
PXL_20220402_190804670.jpg
PXL_20220402_191132266.jpg
Is anyone else finding any interesting hitchhikers?

Jason Hieger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was splitting my rock up into smaller pieces and noticed what looked like a closed up zoa head. It started moving so I worked on splitting around it. I found the other end and pulled this out. Not sure what it was but a worm of some type.

IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG

Daftendire

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was splitting my rock up into smaller pieces and noticed what looked like a closed up zoa head. It started moving so I worked on splitting around it. I found the other end and pulled this out. Not sure what it was but a worm of some type.
Absolutely terrifying. I have no idea what i'm looking at.

fulltang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_3722.JPG
IMG_3723.JPG
IMG_3724.JPG
IMG_3725.JPG

Good god

Ulmo

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 ...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haven't seen any evidence of macro/moving life come out of my Aussie rock yet. That is a very large and peculiar hitchhiker you found.

If you never hear from me again, the hiding monsters emerged and ate me...

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man I found out about this stuff way too late! Don’t see it on their site anymore, I’m guessing I’m too late to the party. I’ve been wanting some Aussie live rock for my 310 gallon build to add some more unique stuff in my tank and the biodiversity of it. This stuff looks amazing. I know of a guy in jersey or New York that gets it, but he wants like $10 more a pound than what it looks like unique was selling theirs for. Hope they get more in, otherwise I guess I’ll be sticking with just KP

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Man I found out about this stuff way too late! Don’t see it on their site anymore, I’m guessing I’m too late to the party. I’ve been wanting some Aussie live rock for my 310 gallon build to add some more unique stuff in my tank and the biodiversity of it. This stuff looks amazing. I know of a guy in jersey or New York that gets it, but he wants like $10 more a pound than what it looks like unique was selling theirs for. Hope they get more in, otherwise I guess I’ll be sticking with just KP
I’m sure they’ll get more in soon and probably more Solomon island rock too. I’ll probably stop by Unique some time tomorrow, so I’ll ask them.

CincyReefer07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m sure they’ll get more in soon and probably more Solomon island rock too. I’ll probably stop by Unique some time tomorrow, so I’ll ask them.
I shot them an email asking. But if you’re in there, if you think of it please ask them and let me know what they say if I don’t hear from them. I was hoping to get my aquascape built how I just about like it and get water in it and start cycling by beginning of may. Would love to add 8-10 pounds of this with 10-15 pounds of KP mixed in also along with my ocean direct live sand to get as much biodiversity as possible plus the uniqueness of how this rock looks will add another layer of cool and more natural to my tank

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an update. Received my 10 lbs of liverock about a month or so ago. I basically swished it around in some extra saltwater and placed it in a 10g tank with a small heater, hob filter and powerhead. I do have an old light on the tank. I never really did any water changes and am starting to see some hair algae. I am also seeing an explosion of pods and snails. Don't know enough about snails to positively id, but remind me of trochus. Hopefully, I got lucky and they continue to reproduce. All in all--this is some cool rock. I will likely leave it as is until I move this summer so will be interesting to see what appears in the meantime.

the biggest one is about the size of a pencil eraser
IMG-9558.jpg

Note this rock is marco rock pictured in the next photo that I put into the aquarium to cycle along with the live rock. Was curious to see how it would develop. I am getting good coralline growth on a piece I put into my 20g aquarium cycling KP rock.
IMG-9546.jpg

intentionally dirty glass :)
IMG-9549.jpg

Last edited:

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back