Automating and decreasing waterchanges

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I've been looking to automating my tank so I do less water changes.

My parameters are
8-9dkH
1305 mg
420 cal
nitrate 1-5
nitrite 0
ammonia 0

I was wandering what equipments I would need to maintain these parameters without waterchange
I have a refugium and probably going to add more macro and its diversity. (currently only have caulerpa, looking for some chaeto. I may eventually add biopellets if nitrates increase.

I am also gonna get some kalwasser and prob add it to my ato. I'm also gonna add some auto doser to maybe vodka dose and add magnesium also. What else would I need? Also, any tips on vodka dosing? never done it.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case - running a type of Triton method with a chaeto refugium I use the following Equipments
An oversized skimmer - however only used as an gas exchanger - skimmate goes back to the DT
3 Dosing pump for the Core 7 method (I put 3a and 3b together in one container)
1 dosing pump for PO4
1 dosing pump for NO3
1 dosing pump for DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon - also known as organic carbon like Vodka, NoPoX, vinegar, sugar and so on)
1 reactor for phosphate remove media
I do ICP test at least every 3 months

I do not use to dose DOC direct in the water - I use it for dosing below my reversed deep sand bed
I do not use the reactor if I do not need it. Only in the case of high PO3 readings or high metal readings

I only do WC if needed - my ICP test tell me that

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my case - running a type of Triton method with a chaeto refugium I use the following Equipments
An oversized skimmer - however only used as an gas exchanger - skimmate goes back to the DT
3 Dosing pump for the Core 7 method (I put 3a and 3b together in one container)
1 dosing pump for PO4
1 dosing pump for NO3
1 dosing pump for DOC (Dissolved Organic Carbon - also known as organic carbon like Vodka, NoPoX, vinegar, sugar and so on)
1 reactor for phosphate remove media
I do ICP test at least every 3 months

I do not use to dose DOC direct in the water - I use it for dosing below my reversed deep sand bed
I do not use the reactor if I do not need it. Only in the case of high PO3 readings or high metal readings

I only do WC if needed - my ICP test tell me that

Sincerely Lasse
Thanks for the suggestions. However I am limited in items I can get so things found commonly at LFS is my only solution. They do not have Triton so I'm unable to do the method you described

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I use another method of doing "Balling" or a 2 part solution I would do it that way. Your avatar show "The Tricolour" Are you from France - if so - I think that you can find Triton or others that do ICP testa in any webbshop.

Sincerely Lasse

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even if I use another method of doing "Balling" or a 2 part solution I would do it that way. Your avatar show "The Tricolour" Are you from France - if so - I think that you can find Triton or others that do ICP testa in any webbshop.

Sincerely Lasse
Actually I'm from Asia, we have a large diversity of livestock at low price. Though despite our hardware also being much cheaper, we lack different types you would find. My profile pic was just because reef2reef used a very old pic.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Th
Actually I'm from Asia, we have a large diversity of livestock at low price. Though despite our hardware also being much cheaper, we lack different types you would find. My profile pic was just because reef2reef used a very old pic.
Though brands like seachem and redsea are still readily available

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the most important reason for doing water changes is to replenish trace elements. If your tank isn't using Alk and Calc quickly, water changes aren't as necessary. To make sure the tank has enough trace elements you either need to do regular water changes or add them through separate dosing. If going this route, Red Sea does make the products but I would still do ICP testing on a regular basis. Another way to add the important trace elements is to use a calcium reactor for Alk and Calc. Since you are dissolving coral skeletons to add the Alk and Calc it should also restore the trace elements needed by coral.

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the method - just concentrate on the hardware

Oversized skimmer
Dosing pumps
GFO/Al reactor
ICP tests

Sincerely Lasse
I will still of course do my test every other week.
Def getting gfo but wondering what all reactor is.

My last q is if my BB Magnus curve 5 enough for my 80g tank. How oversized do I need?

OP
OP
alexytman

alexytman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion, the most important reason for doing water changes is to replenish trace elements. If your tank isn't using Alk and Calc quickly, water changes aren't as necessary. To make sure the tank has enough trace elements you either need to do regular water changes or add them through separate dosing. If going this route, Red Sea does make the products but I would still do ICP testing on a regular basis. Another way to add the important trace elements is to use a calcium reactor for Alk and Calc. Since you are dissolving coral skeletons to add the Alk and Calc it should also restore the trace elements needed by coral.
I dose aqua forest micro e. Is that ok?

Back