Automating dinner: Do you use an auto feeder?

Do you use an auto feeder?

• I regularly use an auto feeder.

Votes: 178 39.1%
  • I occasionally use an auto feeder.

Votes: 65 14.3%
  • I have used an auto feeder in the past.

Votes: 49 10.8%
  • I have not used an auto feeder.

Votes: 156 34.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 1.5%

• Total voters

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

The idea of using an auto feeder seems amazing if you could set it up and move on to other things. However, it isn’t always too simple. Food gets clogged in the auto feeder and somehow Murphy’s Law seems to find it’s way into the feeding process. Additionally, feeding time is a great time to observe the fish so it you aren’t feeding manually, then you may be missing out. Please share your experience with auto feeders. Whether you use one all the time, only when you are on vacation or unavailable, or you never use an auto feeder, tell us if you use an auto feeder.

Olys_Tank_AutoFeeder.jpeg

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.

gbru316

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Avast's The Plank is god-tier auto feeding -- everything from coral foods (reef roids, benepets, etc) up to flakes/pellets and freeze-dried mysis. Feed your fish AND your corals with the same device.

Next up for my tank is an auto (live) phyto feeder using home cultured phyto. But that's a long ways off, need to get the "forever" tank built first. I'll have much more leeway for science projects when the tank is in my office instead of the living room.

Last edited:

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Running two auto feeders on the bigger of my tanks (one for pellets, one for flakes). Feeding three times during the day and the fishies love it. On top of that, frozen in the morning and evening - and a wee bit of nori here and there.

Something to keep the refugium going :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gotta get one. Well, four, but I like the idea. I like to turn off all flow to minimize wasted food. That can be automated with my Apex and an auto feeder. Just haven't done it yet.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use an autofeeder with pellets twice a day and then feed frozen once a day by hand. The good thing is even if I forget to feed the frozen, the fish are fine.

jerses

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second The Plank. A bit cumbersome to initially set up on timers but great at mixing foods and silent operation.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The idea of using an auto feeder seems amazing if you could set it up and move on to other things. However, it isn’t always too simple. Food gets clogged in the auto feeder and somehow Murphy’s Law seems to find it’s way into the feeding process. Additionally, feeding time is a great time to observe the fish so it you aren’t feeding manually, then you may be missing out. Please share your experience with auto feeders. Whether you use one all the time, only when you are on vacation or unavailable, or you never use an auto feeder, tell us if you use an auto feeder.

Olys_Tank_AutoFeeder.jpeg

Photo by @Oly’s_Tank

This QOTD is sponsored by Nutramar: https://www.qualitymarine.com/nutramar/

NutramarBanner.png

“Nutramar’s 100% natural food products are used by public aquaria and breeders around the world. They offer superior nutrition to your most finicky and delicate fish and invertebrates.
Speaking of auto feeders, have any of you seen the InD creations frozen food auto feeder? It's set to launch this year!

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup… I have a pair of Plank Auto Feeders connected to my Apex

As well as 4 bottles of Reef Nutrition refrigerated food that I store in a mini-fridge and auto dose using a pair of Apex Dos Pumps

I still hand feed frozen cubes when home, but increase automated feedings when away

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two eheim feeders for redundancy, modified and connected to the Profilux which switches the tank to feed mode, feeds the fish and restarts everything - 4 times a day.

I regularly travel overseas for 4-6 weeks at a time, only way to keep a tank.

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the Apex feeder that sounds like an electric can opener. I only bought it when I was working out of town during the week. Now it seldom if ever gets used unless something like vacation. Pretty useless for much of anything other than small (I use 1mm new life spectrum) sinking pellets that don't sink too well unless you physically place them under water.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some of my fish only eat frozen.... otherwise I'd love to use an autofeeder! Maybe they're just spoilt as they did eat pellets before lol

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a great thread on here abiut a diy frozen food autofeeder... i was contemplating making one but cba atm, too busy

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have run the same AFS for over 3-4 years and cant do without it. Many say I dont stay put and it has kept my fish happy this whole time including vacation and absence during the week.
I have it set to feed at 10a-noon- 1p - 3p - 5p and I add frozen around 8p each evening

jimfish98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only run one when I am on vacation, otherwise its hand feedings all day, every day. Helps I work from home at a desk between two tanks.

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have run the same AFS for over 3-4 years and cant do without it. Many say I dont stay put and it has kept my fish happy this whole time including vacation and absence during the week.
I have it set to feed at 10a-noon- 1p - 3p - 5p and I add frozen around 8p each evening
What do you use? I'm going to try get these fish eating pellets again as I'm having to go away for work trips more often these days

DJF

know less, learn more
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to use eheim; but after admittedly knocking more than my fair share into the tank…. I glue them and use a cheaper knockoff (not married to a brand- they all feel the same)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 33.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.4%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back