Awesome deal, or Huge mistake

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time will tell.... I just paid for a 240 gallon FOWLR setup. Now I have to figure out how to move it and all the fish successfully about an hour away. These people bought a house, and the tank came with. They decided to get rid of it, and I paid $400 for it. They are in no real rush for me to get it out of there either. I will have to build a new stand, and the plan is to eventually turn it into a reef tank. Hopefully it turns out to be a great grab.

Current fish in the tank are Purple tang, Sailfin Tang, Yellow tang, Domino Damsel, 2 black and white clowns, 1 orange clown, what appears to be a blue and yellow damsel, and a spiny sea urchin. Likely going to get rid of the single clown, both damsels and the urchin.

Tank B4 pickup (13).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (15).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (14).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (17).jpeg

MamaLovesHerReefTank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only time will tell.... I just paid for a 240 gallon FOWLR setup. Now I have to figure out how to move it and all the fish successfully about an hour away. These people bought a house, and the tank came with. They decided to get rid of it, and I paid $400 for it. They are in no real rush for me to get it out of there either. I will have to build a new stand, and the plan is to eventually turn it into a reef tank. Hopefully it turns out to be a great grab.

Current fish in the tank are Purple tang, Sailfin Tang, Yellow tang, Domino Damsel, 2 black and white clowns, 1 orange clown, what appears to be a blue and yellow damsel, and a spiny sea urchin. Likely going to get rid of the single clown, both damsels and the urchin.

Tank B4 pickup (13).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (15).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (14).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (17).jpeg
Not sure if this would work for you but you could check with your lfs and see if they could hold the fish for a couple days until you get the tank setup at your place. You might have to give them a couple bucks for feeding etc. Either way it's going to be a big job but it can be done. A couple big brute rubber pails for the rock as you want to keep those wet. The water you could either reuse or discard. The bio is in the rock and sand. Good luck.

Velcro

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was much smaller (93 cube) but I have bought a running system from two hours away. This was an SPS tank and it was 40F outside. I rented a uhaul, bought a big power inverter and several air stones/heaters. Used 40 gallon drums filled halfway to move all the livestock (rock/coral/fish). It was a full day of work but I had no losses.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tank B4 pickup (13).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (15).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (14).jpeg

Tank B4 pickup (17).jpeg
Did you get any good filtration gear with the tank, or good lights? Apex?

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get any good filtration gear with the tank, or good lights? Apex?

Nope. The lights they are running appear to be just normal florescent bulbs. There is like zero coralline I could see in the tank. The filtration is currently a bio-ball sump. I am honestly surprised how healthy the fish appear to be.

Salty1962

Wrasse and SPS Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with the stand? Why are you having to build a new one? Nice snag! It will make an awesome reef tank.

Forsaken77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. The lights they are running appear to be just normal florescent bulbs. There is like zero coralline I could see in the tank. The filtration is currently a bio-ball sump. I am honestly surprised how healthy the fish appear to be.
So I'm guessing this is an old system then. Check to see if the tank needs resealing.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's wrong with the stand? Why are you having to build a new one? Nice snag! It will make an awesome reef tank.

Well it's not nearly as nice as it looks in the pics. It looks to be an old MDF/particle board stand. One of the reasons they want to get rid of it is that they have accidentally overflowed it, and it leaked down into the basement and got into their fuse box. Apparently this has happened more than once costing them some serious repair costs. So I assume the stand may have some water damage. I couldn't get to all sides of it to see. I plan to reinforce it before putting the tank back on, and then build a new one eventually.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I'm guessing this is an old system then. Check to see if the tank needs resealing.

Not 100% sure. It looks like it was intended to be a FOWLR all along, so maybe they felt no need for better lighting. I can also say a local LFS still tries to sell those bio ball setups. The people with the tank now have had it for about a year. BUT guessing from the size of the fish I would say a few years for sure.

How would I go about doing that? I intended no to remove the sand from the tank. afraid of releasing some bad stuff if I remove it.

BlueMoods

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice deal. A bit of a hassle to move and, I would remove the sand and, rinse it in water from the tank, wash the gunk out of it but, use the old tank water. I'd also check the parameters before moving it, make sure I get ti right so as not to shock the fish more than I had to in moving them.

OP
OP
LagunaGlide

LagunaGlide

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice deal. A bit of a hassle to move and, I would remove the sand and, rinse it in water from the tank, wash the gunk out of it but, use the old tank water. I'd also check the parameters before moving it, make sure I get ti right so as not to shock the fish more than I had to in moving them.

I am going to try and take as much water as I can. I have changed my plan a good bit in the past 24 hours. I think I am going to empty the tank completely. keep the sand in a bucket with a bit of water. Put all the fish I plan to keep in plastic totes with tank water, some Liverock, and airstones for a few days while I clean the entire system up, check the seals, and remove the chipped blue paint from the back and possibly repaint black, and also reinforce the current stand. It will be a lot of work, and hassle, but I figure best to get certain things handled now. Also if the fish show ich I can remove the rock and treat all while doing other things. I really hope everyone survives this ordeal.

Krzydmnd

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am going to try and take as much water as I can. I have changed my plan a good bit in the past 24 hours. I think I am going to empty the tank completely. keep the sand in a bucket with a bit of water. Put all the fish I plan to keep in plastic totes with tank water, some Liverock, and airstones for a few days while I clean the entire system up, check the seals, and remove the chipped blue paint from the back and possibly repaint black, and also reinforce the current stand. It will be a lot of work, and hassle, but I figure best to get certain things handled now. Also if the fish show ich I can remove the rock and treat all while doing other things. I really hope everyone survives this ordeal.
You got this. [emoji6]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back