Baby fish? orange line chromis

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The wife and I were looking at this tank and saw these little guys swimming around. Assuming they are fish the only thing possible are these orange line chromis that are probably 3 years old now.

Does this seem likely? Has anyone breed chromis before? Is there anything I can do to try and raise them or is it to late because I wasn't expecting?

IMG_20200904_180951.jpg IMG_20200904_180915.jpg

ichthyogeek

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm fairly certain somebody's bred chromis before....whether they're on the forum is a different story. Try looking up breeding accounts for other damselfish as well, it might lead you

Did you notice anything about the chromis group before today? Like, were they specifically near a certain part of the tank? Or have a change in behavior?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So - interesting question. Most “baby fish” that just show up in marine tanks are just schooling mysid shrimp. However, of all the damselfish, orange lines are the only one that has direct development, with no planktonic larval stage....so they are the only species that could possibly just show up in a tank like that! If you can hatch baby brine, that would help feed them.
Jay

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you notice anything about the chromis group before today? Like, were they specifically near a certain part of the tank? Or have a change in behavior?

They do appear to be hanging around one area of the tank, but due to this tank being more of a hidden away basement frag tank I don't spent alot of time paying attention to the fish. Looking around it does appear they cleared off a spot behind some rockwork of all the sand.

If you can hatch baby brine, that would help feed them.

I do have some brine cysts on hand that I could use. Also have AlgaeBarn's Ocean Magic mix in the fridge.

Just so everyone knows there are only 3 fish in this tank, a snowflake clown (in the photo) and 2 adult orange line chromis.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like they are orange lined chromis then. the Ocean Magic mix is probably too small for them, but you could try a bit. Baby brine shrimp might be too large, but a better choice I think. They may have survived long enough on random things in your tank, so that the brine may be ok size now....

Jay

OP
OP
josephxsxn

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it seems the number of them alive has dropped quickly or I cant find them, by the end of last night I didn't see anymore. Will check out today again though.

Thanks everyone!

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 177 72.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 45 18.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back