Back in after 10 years and new tank is 5 months old

Scupra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 10 years ago I had a 90g reef tank, life happened and we got rid of the tank to travel etc. Had a kid, stopped moving around so much and decided it was time for another tank - in came the waterbox infinia 190.5 The tank started 08/2023 with live sand, life rock, turbo start and clown fish while the lights stayed off for 3 months.

I would really like to start adding coral and have been watching levels and waiting for things to become a bit more "normal". FWIW tank has never seen anything other than Red Sea Coral pro salt and gets a 35 gal water change every 2 weeks. Only RODI is used for salt water and top off water as well. Tank has nothing but fish currently and a 1" piece of gsp. Tank has cycled and most of the water parameters make sense to me, other than alkalinity, which seems to stay low and drop.

Alkalinity has always hovered around 6.0-7.0, is this just because its a new tank getting established? Magnesium and Calcium always seem to be the same, hovering around 1300 and 400 but alkalinity has tested as low as 5.9 once. Using Hannah testers and tests confirmed from third party as well.. pH is usually about 8, 1.026 salinity, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, phosphate .02 and ammonia 0.

Plan is to add a dosing system, I just didn't think I was going to need it before adding corals. Is this normal for a new tank? 10 years ago I never had water parameter issues, and this time I feel like I am more educated and using much nicer equipment. Please help me get to a point where I can start adding some beauty to this tank :) TIA!

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk at 6 to 7 is fine. You can raise it with baking soda.

With the lights off, I am not sure what processes in the tank could be using that much alk. RSCP is usually about 12, IIRC.

I have no reason to doubt a Hannah, but my general advice is to always have a Salifert Alk test kit around - accurate and cheap, IME.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a 30% ish water change bi-monthly using coral pro which mixes to 11.5dkh, and no load of Stoney corals, the low DKH seems wrong to me.

Suspect testing error, get a second opinion.

OP
OP
Scupra

Scupra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chatting with company that does my water changes and they mix their RSCP salt to dkh of about 9. Water change water tested at 8.9 dkh before going into my tank.

Is it best to dose to a more acceptable level and watch for a couple days?

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 115 58.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.1%
Back