Back in the hobby!

lavoisier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome Back.gif

Thanks for the pics and intro. Glad you're here!

Fred2482

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome! I cant tell from the pics, however if the secondary is set a little higher then the primary drain and you utilize the gate valve on the primary to match the exact waterflow of the return, little to no water should go through the secondary. You want this one loud as it means something is wrong with primary.

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reef2Reef members. Getting back into the hobby after almost 30 years. Had a 55 gallon in my teens with a skilter filter (look it up for a laugh) , a custom wet dry and a whisper 3 carbon... all HOB! Life was good except for my hermit crab which I didn't feed enough and would climb coral and pounce onto fish passing by... no joke. Enter my 40's and I finished my basement (mostly for the purpose of having an aquarium) and I am setting up an SC Aquariums 150 Eurobraced with Synergy reef 16" external overflow. Custom made stand, custom sump from a 75 gallon tank and today was my first flow test.

It was a disaster.

My hose creeped out of the Brute 44 gallon and released water on the floor ( thank goodness for vinyl plank flooring ) and my tank and sump would rival a white water rapids course.

Calling up my buddy to super sleuth what I need to do to fix this. I have a fluval sp6 which is likely part of the problem and 1.5" drains which might be the other. My primary has a gate valve but when I dial back the flow to quiet things down my secondary drain sucks just a bit off air and actually has more flow than the primary. Wondering if a gate valve on the secondary would help or if I should try and reduce the secondary to 1" at some point or even put more water in the tank? I'm about 2/3 of the way above the weirs when running.

With the sp6 I divert some of the flow and feed into an aquac ev 180 which recirculates back into the first chamber of the sump. Second chamber was going to be a deep sand bed but the flow is crazy right now it would be all churned up.

Gotta love first timers winging it right?

A few pics attached...

At any rate is all fun until you can't sleep at night thinking about what to do next. I'm leaning toward reducing my secondary drain to 1" and getting a controllable dc pump with a flex pvc section to quiet things down. Fingers crossed! You're advice is sorely needed just no guarantees I'll take it HA! Gotta learn the hard way unfortunately...

NabberNate

20210331_103241.jpg 20210331_103100.jpg 20210331_103048.jpg 20210331_103035.jpg
Welcome!

+1 more vote towards controllable pump OR less powerful pump (but either way... new pump) Not a huge fan of dialing back flow because that leads to pump back pressure (which causes pump failure and sooner replacement pump) ... I have a pump theme going...

Sure pump isn't only way to solve this - there are always so many ideas! Looking forward to hearing about your successes when you have it dialed in!

I manage to get water on my floor DAILY no matter what I do... so yippee for your flooring choice... I'm finally realizing I'm not going to stop doing it, so now a towel lives there in front of my tank attempting to look like a rug <wink>

lelandmarine

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WELCOME!
Here are some resources you may like

If you like to read

If you prefer video’s. This video series is “5 minute guide”, good info. BRS TV has lots of different series.

Here’s a getting the most out of Reef2Reef link

Salty Rambler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby! I'm secretly hoping your new hermit crabs try that again, at which point your mission is to drop everything and take a video clip of it. My brain is cycling between the hermit crab getting the Wile E. Coyote treatment and jumping onto the fish only to slide off, and the hermit crab riding the fish around the tank like a bucking bronco.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R and back to the hobby! I'm secretly hoping your new hermit crabs try that again, at which point your mission is to drop everything and take a video clip of it. My brain is cycling between the hermit crab getting the Wile E. Coyote treatment and jumping onto the fish only to slide off, and the hermit crab riding the fish around the tank like a bucking bronco
I was ignorant and thought the algae and waste would be enough. It clearly wasn't he killed quite a few of my fish. I caught him pinning down a yellow tang. Very sad won't make that mistake again.

OP
OP
NabberNate

NabberNate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So got my new jebao dcp 10000 today and it was the missing link. Being able to adjust the return flow allowed me to dial everything in correctly. The tank and drains are whispering now. I still have more flow through the secondary than I like but it's not sucking air loudly or creating excessive bubbles. When I try to make more flow through the primary it goes too low and throws things off. Perhaps lower in the overflow would help but I still suspect 1.5" drains on a 150 are just excessive. Had I known I would have reduced them to 1.25" and saved myself a bunch of money on schedule 80 fittings but the tank is happy so I'm happy. You guys are awesome! Selling the fluval sp6.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 19 59.4%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 3.1%
Back