OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did something very similar for my setup. I integrated mine into the back of my stand instead of wall mounting with lengths that go to the floor so I can adjust up if needed. I used 45° sections for strength and it seems to easily do the job, granted mine is a single light on a 20G

I'm thinking about adding a horizontal piece and hard mounting my next light

20230911_194904.jpg
That is very close to what I am trying to achieve. You used heavier material than I, but very close in concept.

I would have mounted to the stand but it became very busy with the uv mounting, overflows and header supports.

Thanks for sharing, I may change my material after seeing your design.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice wood work did you do it yourself, i have a wood shop and did my stand similar white oak with the black accents and did a gray wash. really like the dual uv setup thats going to add some heat has me rethinking my plumbing now lol

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
very nice wood work did you do it yourself, i have a wood shop and did my stand similar white oak with the black accents and did a gray wash. really like the dual uv setup thats going to add some heat has me rethinking my plumbing now lol
I am a horrendous carpenter. I can do mechanic and metal work but woodwork, no.

The stand was built by Chris Benner https://www.bennerswoodworking.com/about/

I sent pictures of my desk and other furniture in the house and he matched it. He also made me a canopy but I am not going to put it on for now.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I made it pretty far, but the tank is not 100% up and running. The RO/DI is not keeping up to its posted production of 150gpd. I did change the filters prior to the start of making water for the tank, but I have made ~ 140 gallons in three days. Oh well, it will be full on Monday with pumps running.

Everything is wired but not plugged into the GHL. Spent time with it today but probably have at least another full day configuring it.
IMG_0191.jpeg

Configuring GHL. Mostly firmware updates and getting it on the network.
IMG_0194.jpeg

Sand bed installed. Mix of 80lbs live and 80 dry
Vortechs running mixing salt. Going to let the the tank clear for a couple hours and then add Dr Tim’s.

I will finish filling and complete startup on Monday.

Overall a pretty productive weekend. image.jpg

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Received live rock to seed into the tank. Did a high salinity dip for a couple minutes to drop the hitchhikers off the rock. Once the rock made it out of the dip I looked through everything that dropped off and moved good hitchhikers to the tank. Mostly found brittle stars to move to the tank. I did have have a couple of gorilla grabs and a couple mantis shrimp fall off the rock.
IMG_0206.jpeg
IMG_0208.jpeg
IMG_0209.jpeg
IMG_0210.jpeg
IMG_0214.jpeg

Going to start adding the shelf rock this weekend. I also plan on getting the sump started.

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, bleep beep…….

Day did not go as planned. My joke pile of rocks almost looks like where I finally stopped out of frustration. Had a nice layout right out of the box but once I started getting it glued in place it went to !#%!!.

So, maybe I start up the sump instead?

I HATE bulkheads! Sump was really loud because the main overflow was sucking air. So my first move was to tune the gate valve once water backed up enough to rise above the top of the union the air suck minimized but water was running pretty freely out of the top of the union cap/nut. Pull the plug, go get paper towels to clean up and I hear the returns are in siphon and I overflow the sump.

So, I fixed the union after I realized my issue was the return pipe support. It was not allowing the cap to seat because the lower part of the union was being held, making the union feel tight even though the connection was not made. After loosening the support I reconnected the union and it sealed.

As for the returns I did adjust them and drilled holes on their underside so they will break siphon next time.

May the shipwreck of my day be a warning and lesson to other reefers who pass by on the way to an operational tank.

Time for a ranch water and a new plan for rock scape in the morning.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Starting Fish:

Sailfin Tang
Purple Tang
Lawnmower Blenny

Melanurus Wrasse
Aiptasia-Eating Filefish

Have been in quarantine tank for 8 weeks
lighting Maroon Clown
Orange Storm

OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had to chase down a leak this week. Water kept showing up in the stand. I shut down the refugium and pulled it out to test it and watch the sump after cleaning the stand. Turned out to be a bulkhead issue on the Refugium. It had been modified and did not have enough thread for the close nipple to seal. New bulkhead installed and Refugium back in the stand. No water found in bottom of the stand for 72 hours.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns moved to he display tank. Added 5 banggai cardinals to quarantine.

Stupid clowns won’t leave the back corner :/
71837863735__F52BDD57-EB7C-4215-BD70-0AA55DE9F3D4.jpeg
IMG_0292.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
bmr

bmr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Spent the weekend cleaning up all the spare parts, tools and the wiring in the rack. I also got 3 leak detectors installed and tweaked the GHL programming.
IMG_0299.jpeg

Next major task is getting the KH director installed.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 68 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 63 27.8%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.6%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back