Backup battery for DC pump

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a maxspect turbine 9k duo, the pump comes with a connection for backup batteries which arent sold here in Oz and from what im told they wouldnt last as long as other alternatives. Ive msged support and they told me any battery with 12V 2a will do the job. Ive read around a bit on batteries and electronics is one area my knowledge is lacking. Since it is a DC pump im guessing i dont need an inverter but just need to find a battery and a way to connect it. Has anyone got any experience with this and would a battery like this be compatible with the pump? This is one i found on ebay

Any help appreciated
aa58effc52564375e90f348bfd1a0fd3.jpg
2927f3330eeeb129542f769129964b8a.jpg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good question. I've only given very limited thought to doing a battery back up. I'm retired and home a lot. I have an 8500 watt generator that hooks directly into the whole house if we lose power and I'm around to hock it up and turn it on (like when a hurricane takes down the local grid). But it would be nice to have at the least, the main return pump on a battery back up just in case.

So I'll follow along. Thanks for asking the question.

OP
OP
Kristophf

Kristophf

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a petrol generator. Ill be moving to a rural area soon so i guess im trying to prepare myself. Ive had a bad experience in the past with a power outage while going away. So the simplest fix i could find was a computer UPS. It gives the pump about 3 hours run time and sounds an alarm. But if i had the knowlegde id like to setup a battery that would give me more time at least until i can get around to turning the generator on. Will keep looking into it

laverda

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes that battery should work. Will the connector charge the battery? I do not think it it will. So you need a charger of some sort. You should be able to use any sealed 12 volt battery if you want a larger one for more run time.
I just modified an old UPS battery back up I had sitting around to run 12 volt DC components directly, there by extending run time. It wastes a lot of run time by converting 12 volts to 120 or 240 volts AC and back to DC again. You can typically pick up old battery backups for dirt cheap or free that just need a new battery.
E8443422-E133-4EE5-A339-D3330AED41E6.jpeg

You can do the same for 24 volt DC pumps if you use a larger UPSs that run have the batteries inside wired at 24 volts. I plan to modify my APC 1500 the same to run my 24 volt return pump. I really like the APC Pro 1500 as it has an auxiliary battery pack you can add to triple the time they will last on a given application. The battery pack is also hot swapable if you want even more capacity. Mine will run my Tunze approximately 700 minutes at my normal settings. The less expensive UPS battery back ups do not run a full sign wave so many AC pumps and equipment will not run properly and possibly over heat using them.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 21.1%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 164 72.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 4.8%
Back