BACTERIA BLOOM???

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been experiencing a wild bacteria bloom in my 3.4 nano. I’ve done 25% water changes and all. Even did a 75% the other day and it just gets worse.. phosphate is 0.1 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate:5 I’ve cut down extremely on food to almost starving my CUC and fish. I’ve kept my pump pointed at surface for oxygen exchange so fish don’t suffocate. Someone got ideas for a fix? I’ve black out the tank for over a week, no food, wtfff

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMB_UEj7O8.gif

WalkerLoves_TheOcean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Unfortunately, with bacteria blooms, the best thing to do is let it run its course. Don't to water changes, as that makes things worse. A UV sterilizer will definitely help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have been experiencing a wild bacteria bloom in my 3.4 nano. I’ve done 25% water changes and all. Even did a 75% the other day and it just gets worse.. phosphate is 0.1 ammonia: 0 nitrite: 0 nitrate:5 I’ve cut down extremely on food to almost starving my CUC and fish. I’ve kept my pump pointed at surface for oxygen exchange so fish don’t suffocate. Someone got ideas for a fix? I’ve black out the tank for over a week, no food, wtfff
What some dont know, in a newer tank, use of NoPox can triggers blooms but mainly . . . . . When there is a sudden increase in the number of bacterial colonies that builds and becomes suspended in the water and grows at a fast rate, it becomes more visible causing the water to become milky and hazy in appearance due to an increase in nutrients especially with nitrates and phosphates, so check those two. Can also be poor filtration, not movement, overfeeding and even your water source especially if RODI filters are nearing end of useful life.
If the bacteria does not get enough oxygen, this issue begins

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to reef2reef!

Unfortunately, with bacteria blooms, the best thing to do is let it run its course. Don't to water changes, as that makes things worse. A UV sterilizer will definitely help.
I’ve let the tank sit with no light for more than a week. It’s been running its course for sure… gets worse and worse. I’ve considered the uv sterilizer but black outs have worked for me in the past. This nano is really giving me issues.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
A few months, since at least January 30th. I’m dosing:
This is an algae bloom and that window is your main culprit. The UV rays will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains. The film algae itself is likely caused by Bright white intensity and a few suspects listed below. This will take a few days to defeat as the filter being a box is insufficient to entrap the spores and bloom itself.
Water: Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Phosphate: How are you testing phosphate? Normally with this level of algae, you will have a level of phosphate that is elevated- Not zero
Adding a hang-on power filter will help entrap some of the suspended matter and placing Black construction against the window for a few days to filter the UV rays will help tremendously

OP
OP
Z

zach_jb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an algae bloom and that window is your main culprit. The UV rays will penetrate shades-blinds-curtains. The film algae itself is likely caused by Bright white intensity and a few suspects listed below. This will take a few days to defeat as the filter being a box is insufficient to entrap the spores and bloom itself.
Water: Are you using RODI water or tap water from the faucet ?
Phosphate: How are you testing phosphate? Normally with this level of algae, you will have a level of phosphate that is elevated- Not zero
Adding a hang-on power filter will help entrap some of the suspended matter and placing Black construction against the window for a few days to filter the UV rays will help tremendously
usually I use premixed water for water changes, top offs with distilled. I used API phosphate kit. I’m also a high school student and keep my light off and shades closed. My school has a marine lab and the window shades aren’t usually closed, yet the nano tanks there are crystal clear. I did do a large cleaning in the tank after I lost a few sexy shrimp and shook up the sand quite a bit. I think that may have been the original source because this never happened until last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 42

reeftankdude

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what i used when starting in the hobby. Worked like a charm. Walmart's website has it.

uv.PNG

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
usually I use premixed water for water changes, top offs with distilled. I used API phosphate kit. I’m also a high school student and keep my light off and shades closed. My school has a marine lab and the window shades aren’t usually closed, yet the nano tanks there are crystal clear. I did do a large cleaning in the tank after I lost a few sexy shrimp and shook up the sand quite a bit. I think that may have been the original source because this never happened until last week.
Next time test the premixed water and I suggest taking a water sample to a store that does NOT use API kits and see what readings they come up with. If you used tap water for that water change, that would do it as well as LFS water having some content. Distilled is low in ph as the water is steamed. Believe me, as the sun is higher and bright longer, UV rays will cause algae problems

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back