Bacteria in a bottle: snake oil worth trusting ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a video on youtube hosted by "Mr. Saltwater Tank", talking with Dr. Tim. He and other company's have bottled bacteria.
I would like to chat with people that have actually used this method to cycle a new tank.

Live rock has it's pro's & con's, as we know, but is this bottled bacteria great or snake oil ?

jackson6745

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely not snake oil. Most of the bottled bacterias will help a cycle along, or just aid in improving water quality.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr. Tim's items are pretty well touted in the SW community.

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Kevin, definitely a plus on the speed of cycling and have witnessed it several times now with positive results. Personally I haven't used from scratch but did use the Brightwell product when upgrading to the 125g from the 75g. Because of using all new sand/substrate in DT and having to place LR with most having encrusted corals attached, thought it might need the extra boost. Perfect transfer with no casualties or water chemistry spikes.

Cheers, Todd

general0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used Dr. Tim's and just recently tried Microbe-Lift Special Blend because I couldn't find Dr. Tim's locally and it did appear to help move the cycle along faster than normal. I did a complete reset of my tank with new sand and acid washed the rocks and it took about 3 weeks to get everything cycled and ready for reading my live stock. When I setup my 165g previously I used Dr. Tim's and it took all of 1 1/2 weeks to get it ready!

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used Dr. Tims and had fish in my new tank within 3 days as well as some mushrooms. Had an anemone and picasso clowns in the tank at day 6. This tank was completely new from water, sand, rock, and all.

I do NOT recommend anyone inexperienced in reefing to try this.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A note, if your rock is not cured (not a problem with clean dry rock) you WILL end up with excess nitrates, assuming you don't have a super skimmer. The bacteria will turn the excess ammonia from the die-off into nitrate but the second step (nitrate into nitrogen gas) will not yet be ready to take this on.

kv2wr1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it can help shorten a cycle, but your tank will still cycle. I had a sterile tank and it took about 2 weeks to completely cycle, but it took longer for that bacteria to colonize on my dry rock and sand. You can cycle a tank fast with it, but the downside is it can take a long time for that bacteria to grow in the rock and sand to support additional life. Hence you have to stock really slow if using dry rock and sand.

OP
OP
427HISS

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree it's not an instant, solve your long time cycle and add a load fast system, just to shorten it a bit. It's better to let mother nature take it's course and add fish slowly. Being dry, dead rock, I will add one of the bottled bacteria's. It might be Dr. Tim's and follow the instructions exactly.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used BioAid before with great success. It's the only thing I added to my tanks to get my cycle started. I eventually started ghost feeding the tank, but the bacteria in a bottle worked for me. And even if you get a dud bottle where all the bacteria died out somehow, you atleast have a bottle of ammonia to cycle with :p

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 25 22.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 80 72.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.6%
Back