Bacterial bloom few weeks into cycling

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, new to marine aquariums.
Just after a bit of advice if I may. The water was crystal clear for quite a while, while tank is cycling. All of a sudden it’s become cloudy. Bacterial bloom?? Normal and clear on its own?

Also, I’ve had contradictions on which way to face the wavemaker. I’ve got it facing towards the pump inlet ?

I’ve got a fluval evo 52ltr
D40BDD30-3ECC-485E-8623-BD1A108C72A6.jpeg
524A105D-3036-47ED-BDD0-371BE3337887.jpeg
D40BDD30-3ECC-485E-8623-BD1A108C72A6.jpeg
524A105D-3036-47ED-BDD0-371BE3337887.jpeg

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that it is likely a bacteria bloom which can be part of the cycling process. Have you done anything to stir up your sand? Another unlikely possibility is micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Have you tested your water parameters to understand where you are in the cycling process?

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that it is likely a bacteria bloom which can be part of the cycling process. Have you done anything to stir up your sand? Another unlikely possibility is micro bubbles from the skimmer.

Have you tested your water parameters to understand where you are in the cycling process?

Hi,

Nothing to stir up the sand at all, everything is as it was when I set it up.

Ph a touch low 7.4
Ammonia 0.25mmp
Nitrite 0.25mmp
Nitrate 5.0mmp

Currently turned skimmer off to see if that helps, but I’m not sure that’s the issue anyways

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Great, you don't need the skimmer running while cycling . The wavemaker is good where it is but you can move it to the center. Just be patience with the cycling process. As soon ammonia and nitrite reads 0 you can do a 10% WC and do another test. Also, what test kit are you using for those parameters?

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
!!! Welcome to R2R !!! Great, you don't need the skimmer running while cycling . The wavemaker is good where it is but you can move it to the center. Just be patience with the cycling process. As soon ammonia and nitrite reads 0 you can do a 10% WC and do another test. Also, what test kit are you using for those parameters?

Thanks, I’m testing with the salt master test kit. Big box with loads of bottles and tubes .

With the wave maker, I only had it there as didn’t really want the cable running across the middle of the tank. I’ve got it pointing towards the opposite corner.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I’m testing with the salt master test kit. Big box with loads of bottles and tubes .

With the wave maker, I only had it there as didn’t really want the cable running across the middle of the tank. I’ve got it pointing towards the opposite corner.

I used API Saltwater kit at the beginning but was having problems with the Nitrite and Nitrates readings so I went with the salifert and my headache was solved. In other words, the ammonia is good on API but the Nitrite and Nitrates can give your false readings.

OP
OP
C

Chefnate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used API Saltwater kit at the beginning but was having problems with the Nitrite and Nitrates readings so I went with the salifert and my headache was solved. In other words, the ammonia is good on API but the Nitrite and Nitrates can give your false readings.
Ah ok that’s good to know, thanks. What’s the issue with the api ones?

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah ok that’s good to know, thanks. What’s the issue with the api ones?

On my case and in other members the Nitrites and Nitrates was reading high while the Ammonia was 0 for over two weeks. Then, someone here recommended me Salifert and he was right. The Nitrites was 0 and Nitrates just a little that with a WC was ready for fish.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I’ll get it ordered and try it. 3 weeks, almost 4.

Even if the test with new kit shows all fine, I’ll need to wait for tank to clear the cloudiness first?

What are you using to cycle? Bacteria in a bottle, shrimp etc? My took 3 weeks with the Dr. tim bacteria and ammonia kit.

Ruben's Reef

Ruben's Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the media and carbon that came with the tank inside the sponge

ok. Then, Just let the tank work on that bacteria bloom. It should cleared in 24h. Keep us inform of the results.

Thanks
Ruben

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back