bacterial bloom, use UV or let it run its course?

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a light bacterial bloom for the last week. I'm debating if I should let it run its course or put in the GKM UV I have in storage. I have good agitation at the surface and coral seem fine. I have no fish. Snails are fine.

• Daily dosing same amount of AFR for around 2 weeks. I have been testing daily for the last 2 weeks and dose NeoNitro & NeoPhos as needed.
  • Added two bottles of the ARC Coraline algae one week ago.
  • Disturbed one of the three chambers in the AIO last week and cleaned the glass/heater, etc.

NO3 3.80, PO4 0.01, dkH 8.50, Ca 420, Mg 1425, Sal 1.026, Temp 77-78

I've tried dosing small amounts to large amounts of NeoPhos and it's all consumed overnight.

Thank you :)

CO2TLEY

Saltaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Inevitable in a newer tank. A uv may help a little but it’ll have to run its course. I agree with the above ^

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are using a hang on back filter, the filter sponge often becomes a bacterial breeding ground. I would suggest pulling the sponge, rinse it in fresh RODI and replace. UV lighting will also help.

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man that green killing machine works well. I woke up to milky water one morning, went to petco and bought the green killing machine, and the next morning my tank was crystal clear!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Man that green killing machine works well. I woke up to milky water one morning, went to petco and bought the green killing machine, and the next morning my tank was crystal clear!
any issues with rusting overtime? are you still using it? i'm thinking of getting one to help with potential dino's, but i'm unsure if its worth it for my 40B. i've read some internal rusting reviews that are off-putting.

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any issues with rusting overtime? are you still using it? i'm thinking of getting one to help with potential dino's, but i'm unsure if its worth it for my 40B. i've read some internal rusting reviews that are off-putting.
I had kept mine in the system 24/7 in the past [last year], the main thing I noticed was the sponge on it collected a lot of detritus so it needs regular cleaning. I inspect the propeller often and never noticed any rust. I'm using the 3 watt nano version. I took it out since it's made in China and read similar threads; only using for emergencies now...

Sump Crab

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I only used it that one time for about 24hrs

OP
OP
dr_vinnie_boombatz

dr_vinnie_boombatz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It continued for a while, I added a 100 polishing pad last night and this morning it was gone.

Then it came back again today...

I think it's actually the Brightwell Aminoacid, that I'm dosing too much. I used the recommended dosage amount, 5 drops daily, but will try switching to 1 drop daily instead.

Also still dosing AFR, 1mL NeoNitro and 1mL NeoPhos.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 75 35.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 58 27.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 66 30.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 3.7%
Back