Baffle on Custom Display Refugium (multi-sump)

coreytrv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up a series of cascading sumps, and am in the process of making a large "display refugium" out of a 125g long tank.

I plan to use the smaller Trigger CR39 sump above, for protein skimmer, probes, and other equipment, and will be locating the refugium in the 125 long.

How should I set the baffles? RED is the proposed location. Should there be a break in the bottom, or middle from intake to fuge, or will this work?

1715281758683.png

Any recommendations?

Thanks!

mann1139

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always liked to force the water up then down before the return pump. Don't forget that the baffles should only be an inch or two apart.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the fuge you really don't need multiple baffles as long as its dumping back into the sump.

One major change though, I'd switch the refugium to be higher than the sump and have the refugium drain into the sump. Two reasons for this. One, its much easier to dial in the flow and you can simply run a "T" off the main return pump to supply flow for the refugium. Secondly, a return pump for the refugium is very likely to clog with algae which can cause an issue fast. Here is mine, the overflow box prevents any alae from clogging the drain into the sump. Even if it does, it simply gets sucked down into the sump where I can clean it up if need be.

1715549104819.png

1715549167173.png

Formulator

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a somewhat similar setup, except kind of the reverse. My DT drains to both the refugium and main sump. I use ball valves to get about 20% of the flow to the fuge and 80% to main sump. Fuge drains to sump and returns to DT at the end of the sump. I chose this design with my pod population in mind, but the fuge does become a bit of a detritus trap. Regarding the bafles, I have 2 spaced about an inch apart with sponge between them prior to the drain section of fuge. This prevents chaeto or other macroalgae from getting into the return. Here is a photo.
IMG_3817.jpeg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 49.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back