Bag water for dip?

AFHokie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there harm in using frag bag water when dipping frags?

Sometimes when I get new frags if I don’t have saltwater mixed up and ready I’ll use bag water to dip frags in rather than pull tank water that I don’t have replacement water for. I always rinse in fresh tank water, though.

Since frags don’t poop like fish and they came from the bag water originally, I assumed there was no harm in this. Is that a safe assumption?

radreef02

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sometimes when I get new frags if I don’t have saltwater mixed up and ready I’ll use bag water to dip frags in rather than pull tank water that I don’t have replacement water for. I always rinse in fresh tank water, though.

Since frags don’t poop like fish and they came from the bag water originally, I assumed there was no harm in this. Is that a safe assumption?

The only harm in my eyes is not matching salinity/using tank water to balance it out after the dip .

If you’re going straight from your LFS water to tank water after a dip and they’re different parameters. Could affect the coral

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That’s what I do. My LFS usually gives a bunch of water in the bag. I take some out into a cup for rinsing afterward and leave my frags in the bag. After temp acclimation I put dip in the bag and let it sit for the dip to do it’s thang. After, I rinse them in the water I dumped in the cup and then into the tank they go.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only harm in my eyes is not matching salinity/using tank water to balance it out after the dip .

If you’re going straight from your LFS water to tank water after a dip and they’re different parameters. Could affect the coral
If I’m not mistaken……corals don’t require the salinity match. Inverts and fish are the ones who need to be acclimated to temperature and tank chemistry.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.0%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 82 47.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back