Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my first reef tank after quite a long break. I think it's been 6 or 7 yrs since I had a tank. I always used old school equipment in the past, and never had much automation other than my own DIY auto topoff and some timers for pumps & lights.

I decided to put a little faith in technology this time around. Energy efficiency is a concern, so I'm trying to embrace technology. That being said, new technology isn't cheap, even the budget or entry level stuff like I bought. Boxes are slowly filtering in. A few pieces are still in transit, but I'm pretty sure it's all going to be here before Christmas.

The tank is a standard 40g breeder that I bought at a Petco $1 per gallon sale. My local store cuts that sale off at their 29g tanks, but they still sell other tanks in stock at 50% off. That made my 40g breeder under $55.

My refugium is a 20 extra tall. It's the same footprint as a standard 10g tank, but twice as high. Basically a couple 10g stacked on top of each other. The refugium is to sit direcrly beside the DT, and because it is taller, it will drain back to the main DT via an overflow and bulkhead fitting with a short piece of PVC. I plan to feed the refugium with a power head in the DT, or a tee in the return line. Still planning the plumbing.

Lighting is Current USA Orbit Marine IC PRO LED - 36-48 Inch with LOOP controller (CU04226). It's got 2 LED strips @ 36w each.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...quariums-Current_USA-CU04226-FILTFILD-vi.html

The wave makers are Current USA eFlux 660 gph. I have 2 of those.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...mp_Powerhead-Current_USA-CU06004-FIPH-vi.html

Return pump is a Current USA eFlux DC 1050 gph. (CU06009)
https://www.marinedepot.com/Current...-Current_USA-CU06009-FIWPEPZT-CU06009-vi.html

Sump is an Icecap 24
https://www.marinedepot.com/IceCap_...um_Sump_Units-IceCap-CV40836-FIFRBSCU-vi.html

Skimmer is an SCA-301
SC Aquariums SCA-301 Protein Skimmer, 65 gal https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CML49CK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_WBDeCb5P7K8H0

Auto topoff is a Tunze Osmolator Nano 3152.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Tunze_O...uto_Top_Off_Units-Tunze-TZ4114-FIDPAT-vi.html

RO/DI is Vertex Technologies Puratek Deluxe 100 GPD
https://www.marinedepot.com/Vertex_...-Vertex_Technologies-VX11501-FIRORDNH-vi.html

I bought 2 of the Eheim Jager TruTemp 75 Watt heaters.
https://www.marinedepot.com/Eheim_J...um_Heaters-Jager-EJ1111-FIHTGH-EJ1113-vi.html

American Marine Pinpoint Dual Stage heater controller.
https://www.marinedepot.com/America...arine_Pinpoint_Monitors-AM1713-FITETC-vi.html

I bought 40lbs of dry base rock (sawn flat on one side) and 40lbs of regular dry rock. Also ordered 120 lbs of dry reef sand. I'll want some nicer rocks later, but 80 lbs of dry rock is a good place to start. The tank and refugium will gobble up all that rock and sand, I'm almost sure of it.

I still have powerheads and return pumps from the past. Those will hopefully work in a new saltwater mixing station.

Pics will be posted this coming weekend.

Last edited:

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back and great write up

Just remember we need lots of pictures!

Hemmdog

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up, are you planning on coral? Because the light you picked will not grow coral.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice write up, are you planning on coral? Because the light you picked will not grow coral.

Yes, I'm planning for LPS corals.

What do you mean "It won't grow corals" ? Have you tried this light before? Please explain that statement, and offer a recommendation for a different light. I will return the light if it's not powerful enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else think this light is under powered for growing corals?
I have ZERO interest in SPS.
I DO want to have LPS and zoas.
Need a light that will work for those corals.

NOT a Kessil or some other ridiculously priced unit.

Suggestions ... if the Current USA light above won't work??

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome back to the hobby !

Like hemmdog said that light is trash . Its not going to work out for you . Ive seen how crappy it is in person . My best friend had two of those on a 29g and couldnt keep a kenyan tree alive . He now has a reef breedes photon .

He also has all the ‘loop’ equipment and IMO its all junk .

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
to hop on the light train,

Yes i agree with the above. Current USA, as a brand, is IMO entry level garbage. I would return all of it. A couple of well reviewed black box LEDs off of amazon would work much better.

I would also swap the current pumps for jebao, I'm a bit of a jebao fan boy though.

While on the subject, I would return the $250 heater controller, use something like the ink bird or https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/smart-security-system-combo-set-autoaqua.html

and put that extra $100 to the skimmer for a reef octopus skimmer (this bad boy $200)

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would agree with others skip the orbit light, my brother in law has one and it’s trash.. IMO 80 lbs of rock is way to much 40 lbs would be more in line and I personally think your skimmer choice is perfect, the SCA 301 is a great skimmer for the price.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is really disappointing to hear.

Everything except the sump and ATO is junk??

All the Current USA products are junk? The LOOP system is junk? The wave pumps are junk? The light is junk?

I researched for months and specifically didn't buy black box LED's because I wanted "decent quality" vs taking a chance on a Chinese light that's not UL listed. I've read threads on the forum where people have used these light with excellent results so that's why I chose them.
@Sarah24!

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/current-orbit-ic-pro.399907/

@samnaz
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/ai-prime-hd-vs-current-usa-ic-loop-pro.377403/

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately current is always been bottom of the barrel and always appealed to the people getting into the hobby for its very cheap pricing .

Literally a few weeks ago the same guy , my best friend was in colorado for his sons wedding and had a power loss at his house . The current return pump never cycled back on for some reason we cant figure out and he lost everything . Power went out at 11pm and I didnt get there until 630 the next morning to restart the tank . The water was 60 degree’s . I can post the txts if you want ...

gilman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a set up similar to yours . Same sump and tank , ehiem heaters , I run Orphek lights , varios return , gyre 3k ,an apex and calcium reactor on mine .

On my 20 cube I have the tunze nano ato .

9A752820-597F-4035-AA9D-9D5B23C0C790.jpeg

CE251E53-099C-4D35-9B7A-DB5256A8F1EE.jpeg

03EB7A70-9D7E-40BD-BEA3-E7D09DC895E8.jpeg

EB4991F8-23F1-4A37-B5F8-B71C0DE2B678.jpeg

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had a few hours to think about the above coments. I do appreciate the responses and words of caution about the selected equipment. It's tough to hear, because I spent so much time researching and shopping (many hours of time over 3 month span). None of my research led me to believe the Current USA brand is essentially junk or "bottom of the barrel" in quality. I researched these forums like crazy and only found a few people actually using the same lights, and they seem more than pleased. So I pulled the trigger.

It's a conundrum for sure. My wife has been softly involved in the whole research and planning process for the new tank. She's very excited to see the tank come together and see the corals growing, but she knows nothing about fish tanks and corals. She's suportive and helps me talk through decisions... like which lights and pumps to buy. For both of us, part of the the appeal was in the energy efficiency of LED lighting and DC pumps. The LOOP capability and the weather affects were a really nice feature that we were both impressed to see because we had no idea the technology even existed.

After talking to her, we've decided to keep the equipment and move forward. If we need more lighting power or PAR, we'll either supplement more/different LED's or T5's or we'll work with it for now and upgrade to a completely different, but more expensive option later. I'm going to keep the heater controller and skimmer as well. I don't know anything about the heater controller. It was a splurge at the last minute. I need some kind of controller and I'm not ready for an Apex. I plan to run dual 75w heaters in the sump and this device has dual outlets, so it won't be a problem to run both heaters. The SCA-301 skimmer gets really good reviews by most people. I think it's a copy of one of the more popular name brands. Bubble Magus maybe?

Wish me luck!! I'll post pics after more of the equipment shows up. So far I only have the lights, a wave pump and the Tunze ATO. I think I'm scheduled to receive some rocks on Saturday and maybe the sump tomorrow.

Last edited:

Algaewarrior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hipargero 30w on my 5 gallon Pico. All of my lps is thriving. It's even sustaining my Bali green slimer. $60 on Amazon. You will probably need 2 for a 40 gallon. Just my 2¢. It's a great cheap light.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the hipargero 30w on my 5 gallon Pico. All of my lps is thriving. It's even sustaining my Bali green slimer. $60 on Amazon. You will probably need 2 for a 40 gallon. Just my 2¢. It's a great cheap light.
Funny!! That's EXACTLY the light we had looked at, and wondered if we might use it as supplemental in the event the Current Pro wasn't enough. Strap 2 on the back rim and spread the 2 Current Pro strips apart so they don't block the light from above. That would be 140 watts. Sunglasses, anyone? 8^)

Thanks for the response. That helps with the confidence factor if we decide to boost lighting.

https://www.amazon.com/HIPARGERO-LED-Aquarium-Light-Saltwater/dp/B0727V8C5Q

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The folks saying Current Marine Pro fixtures are useless garbage... I'm truly curious if they are speaking from experience (and if so, I'd love to know the details of the setup). I find it strange because in the 2+ years I have been using the Pro fixture, it has yielded great results and at the very LEAST it's adequate. Sure, it's garbage if you're using one on a 30" deep tank, or if your tank is mainly SPS. For a shallower tank with soft corals, LPS and some less demanding SPS (montis for example) it's a good choice. Yes there are obviously better options, but I can say with confidence the Pro is adequate. If your corals are bleaching or aren't growing at all, you're doing something wrong. Just my two cents, again... ;-)

You've clearly done your research already. Keep it up, sounds like a solid build if you ask me.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a few sketches I made up to start with finalizing a design on the refugium.

I'd like to have a display refugium. I don't have a light for it yet, but anything for a 10g tank will fit, because that's the footprint. It's a 20XH (20L x 12W x 24H). It's taller than the display tank. My plan is to fill it with a line off my return or perhaps a separate powerhead. Not sure yet. It's going to depend on how crowded the sump is. It will have an overflow and a bulkhead up high and it will naturally drain back to the DT.
Here's my basic idea.
Side View.jpg

The previous owner used the 20XH as a top off container so it has a baffle that goes nearly full height on one end of the tank. The baffle is 5 inches from the end. It's maybe 1/4" below the plastic lip..... maybe.
Refugium.jpg

I had planned to put a big ball of cheato in the smaller compartment. I'd route the feed water line into this compartment and let the cheato tumble around. I'll need to drill a series of holes in the baffle to let water pass into the larger compartment. I was going to put 10--12 inches of sand over there, and some rock rubble. I need macro algae suggestions for a display that's essentially an open top. Critter sugestions too.
20XH Refugium1.jpg

Open to suggestions. I'd take the baffle out of the 20XH if somebody has a unique and cool idea for a really tall display fuge. Or I could put the sand on the 5" side and leave the other side wide open for .......

Here's a top view of the overall idea. Green lines are return or supply water. Black box is an overflow drain.

Plan View.jpg

I'm using a cheap pine stand for a 75g tank. It's brand new and I'm reinforcing it before we put tanks on it. More glue, more screws, and some gussets here and there. The 40g fits perfectly with a foot left on the end. The 20XH is 12" wide.

count krunk

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would skip the 10-12" of sand and go more 4-6". add mangroves and some branch rock. lots of macro algaes and some gorgonians. Could keep seahorse or pipefish in it, if you were so inclined. like 4 different species of shrimp. you could keep the very small ones without worry.

OP
OP
Rcpilot

Rcpilot

Addicted to LPS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i would skip the 10-12" of sand and go more 4-6". add mangroves and some branch rock. lots of macro algaes and some gorgonians. Could keep seahorse or pipefish in it, if you were so inclined. like 4 different species of shrimp. you could keep the very small ones without worry.
Which shrimp are you talking about?

How about 4--6 inches of sand (what kind?) and a good bit of rock rubble and branch?

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 6 8.5%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 29 40.8%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 35 49.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back