Bayite Heater Compatability

sheluligans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the Bayite Temp Controller BTC201, and was wondering if anyone knows how it works with a heater with a built in controller. Say I have an Oase heater and I set it to 76 and the controller to 78, does the controller overrule the heater and raise it? what about the reverse? I was planning on setting the controller to be 76/77 and the heater at 78, but wasn't sure how it'd work out.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased the Bayite Temp Controller BTC201, and was wondering if anyone knows how it works with a heater with a built in controller. Say I have an Oase heater and I set it to 76 and the controller to 78, does the controller overrule the heater and raise it? what about the reverse? I was planning on setting the controller to be 76/77 and the heater at 78, but wasn't sure how it'd work out.
You can use a heater with a built in temp controller. I do this with an inkbird and some ranco controllers.

I set my controllers to the number I want and then set the heaters to a degree or 2 above that. I set the heaters a bit higher, just in case the controller messes up and sticks "on". This should allow the heaters to shut off with their controllers at a slightly higher temp, but not fry my tanks.

As for the controller overriding the heaters, it does not work that way. If you set the heater to 76 and the controller to 78, 76 (or whatever 76 on the heater is due to margin of error) will be the max temp reached. In short, the controller will remain on, as the temp it is set to will never be reached.

OP
OP
sheluligans

sheluligans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use a heater with a built in temp controller. I do this with an inkbird and some ranco controllers.

I set my controllers to the number I want and then set the heaters to a degree or 2 above that. I set the heaters a bit higher, just in case the controller messes up and sticks "on". This should allow the heaters to shut off with their controllers at a slightly higher temp, but not fry my tanks.

As for the controller overriding the heaters, it does not work that way. If you set the heater to 76 and the controller to 78, 76 (or whatever 76 on the heater is due to margin of error) will be the max temp reached. In short, the controller will remain on, as the temp it is set to will never be reached.
Gotcha, so the controller doesn't help too much with failing off more failing on? I suppose eventually I could get a 2nd heater and put it at that 2 degrees lower as a backup to mitigate for that... cheers!

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 71 30.0%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 67 28.3%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 50 21.1%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back