Beginner combo light question

Edroeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched numerous websites and read a lot of threads on here regarding lighting and to say my head is spinning with all of the options is an understatement. I currently have my first saltwater reef tank and have a basic LED reef light over it. I've been reading about LED T5 combos and it sounds like the way to go but I'm struggling with figuring out what route to go. It seems like so many lights are sold in sections and you have to buy this mount with that light and this controller and so on. I'm really just trying to find a good beginner light that just comes as a package that will provide suitable growth and show off colors. My tank is 48" long by 18" wide by 18" deep. Can anyone point me in the direction of a light or light system that's programable that I should look at? I'd prefer not to jump right into a $1500 setup. I've been down tons of paths but always seem to end up going in circles.

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lighting can be a challenge to say the least.
First decide on what you will keep, Softies, LPS or SPS.
That will determine just how much light you actually need.
If it's fish only you need even less "PUNCH".
BRS did a series on led lighting, it's on YouTube.
Watch it.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I gave up on T5’s hybrids a few yrs back, esp since diffuser and spread specs for LED’s has improved….
I know this setup has a lot of fans but I don’t see any T5 tech trending up but sorta more like “hanging on” similar to MH … I think it’s time has passed…

Edit, a array of less expensive lights could be a option: a.i blades, photons, noopsyches, nicrew et et

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've searched numerous websites and read a lot of threads on here regarding lighting and to say my head is spinning with all of the options is an understatement. I currently have my first saltwater reef tank and have a basic LED reef light over it. I've been reading about LED T5 combos and it sounds like the way to go but I'm struggling with figuring out what route to go. It seems like so many lights are sold in sections and you have to buy this mount with that light and this controller and so on. I'm really just trying to find a good beginner light that just comes as a package that will provide suitable growth and show off colors. My tank is 48" long by 18" wide by 18" deep. Can anyone point me in the direction of a light or light system that's programable that I should look at? I'd prefer not to jump right into a $1500 setup. I've been down tons of paths but always seem to end up going in circles.
Is 120 watts of leds good enough at around $1/Watt (guarantee you will not find anything cheaper..oh wait.. less expensive)

Aquamaxx is a rebranded Micmol AFAICT.

To be brutally honest.. "If" the light goes south I will guarantee it is one of the least amount of $$'s you will probably "lose" along the line..
:)

Newly released Aqua Max 900 panel (350 actual watts so they say) is $1000
15pcs - Cold White 12000K CH-A
6pcs - Warm White 3500K CH-A
3pcs - Mint 490nm CH-A
3pcs - Orange 590nm CH-A
3pcs - IR Red 740nm CH-A

60pcs - Blue 470nm CH-B
30pcs - Royal Blue 450nm CH-B

60pcs - Deep Blue 440nm CH-C

30pcs - Royal Blue 450nm CH-D
30pcs - Deep Blue 435nm CH-D
9pcs - Deep Blue 430nm CH-D
9pcs - Deep Blue 420nm CH-D
6pcs - UV 415nm CH-D (note: not UV, common useage though, unfortunately)
6pcs - UV 395nm CH-D

THIS is just for options..no recommendations..
People say they want panels...

OP
OP
Edroeg

Edroeg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm headed out to watch some youtube videos as suggested and research some of these lights. I will primarily be keeping LPS and softies in this setup. I appreciate the feedback on the T5. I was thinking that was what was needed to get the colors to show more. It helps a lot knowing that I can focus more on the LED panels. Thanks!

oreo54

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the feedback, I'm headed out to watch some youtube videos as suggested and research some of these lights. I will primarily be keeping LPS and softies in this setup. I appreciate the feedback on the T5. I was thinking that was what was needed to get the colors to show more. It helps a lot knowing that I can focus more on the LED panels. Thanks!
Make sure you decide what you want and what you need..
Not necessarily related to others needs/ wants As with everything in life it is easy to over complicate things.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 33 26.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 37 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back