Benchtop AIO Nano Tank - Budget Build/First Reef Tank

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to the reefing scene and excited to get started! I've been a freshwater planted tank aquarist but have always been drawn. to the allure of saltwater. For my first tank, I wanted it to be a budget build nano tank, as I rent, and I wanted the move to be manageable.

The tank I will be using is an Innovative Marine 20G Peninsula AIO that I found on Craigslist for $120, which includes the filter media, heater, and Mightyjet Return Pump. The tank was previously run as a freshwater, so it looks pretty fresh :) In addition, because it was run in freshwater mode, none of the original media that came with the tank was used, so I have a filter sock and ceramic media to use. It also came with a plastic media holder and a really nice mesh screen cover, which I hear is important to keep fish from jumping out.

For another $100, I also bought a Maxspect R420R Razor 120 watt 16K LED light. I'm not sure if this is a good deal, as the light is pretty old now (released 2014?) but it was in great condition, and fit perfectly with the tank. I'm really chuffed by the light - stay really cool to the touch because of the massive heatsink, and really slim.

Using Petco, I managed to snag some deals on substrate and salt - 30% off 2x 20lb Caribsea LifeRock/ 1x 20lb Bag Pink Fiji Sand/ 1x Bucket Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, which was still really expensive, but should last me a good while.

Here are some initial pics of the tank with my aquascape idea:
IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7943.jpeg

The tank will sit on a bench (shown in the picture), underneath which I will be attaching the electrical systems (which should remove them far from danger of water exposure) and enable me to have a single plug solution.

Next step is figuring out a portable saltwater mixing system and leak testing the tank.

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, new to the reefing scene and excited to get started! I've been a freshwater planted tank aquarist but have always been drawn. to the allure of saltwater. For my first tank, I wanted it to be a budget build nano tank, as I rent, and I wanted the move to be manageable.

The tank I will be using is an Innovative Marine 20G Peninsula AIO that I found on Craigslist for $120, which includes the filter media, heater, and Mightyjet Return Pump. The tank was previously run as a freshwater, so it looks pretty fresh :) In addition, because it was run in freshwater mode, none of the original media that came with the tank was used, so I have a filter sock and ceramic media to use. It also came with a plastic media holder and a really nice mesh screen cover, which I hear is important to keep fish from jumping out.

For another $100, I also bought a Maxspect R420R Razor 120 watt 16K LED light. I'm not sure if this is a good deal, as the light is pretty old now (released 2014?) but it was in great condition, and fit perfectly with the tank. I'm really chuffed by the light - stay really cool to the touch because of the massive heatsink, and really slim.

Using Petco, I managed to snag some deals on substrate and salt - 30% off 2x 20lb Caribsea LifeRock/ 1x 20lb Bag Pink Fiji Sand/ 1x Bucket Instant Ocean Reef Crystals, which was still really expensive, but should last me a good while.

Here are some initial pics of the tank with my aquascape idea:
IMG_7942.jpeg

IMG_7943.jpeg

The tank will sit on a bench (shown in the picture), underneath which I will be attaching the electrical systems (which should remove them far from danger of water exposure) and enable me to have a single plug solution.

Next step is figuring out a portable saltwater mixing system and leak testing the tank.
Love the aquascape!

OP
OP
C

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! Took me a couple of hours to figure out the layout from all three viewing angles. I wanted something somewhat airy with a lot of depth from the three viewing panes.

Had a chance to work on getting a method down for water changes and RO water production.

Here is my "Portable" RO water unit with a cheap RO water filtration system from Amazon attached to a Home Depot 27Gal tote container. There's a float switch inside to shut off the water:

IMG_7962.jpeg

Here is my salt mixing station, which is a cheap powerhead with a 100watt heater in another 27Gal tote container:
IMG_7948.jpg

I have the salt mixed to about 1.025 SG and am heating it to 77 degrees Celsius. I made sure to clean out the bins before filling them with water.

Here is my bench bottom-mounted electronic panel and the wiring on the back of the tank:
1713050036717.jpeg
1713050113279.jpeg

I decided to bunch the wires at the back of the tank in order to make removing things from the back chamber more convenient. I will eventually build a wood cover that magnetically attaches to the back of the tank. to cover this up.

Here is the first fill, now on to the cycle:
1713050398328.jpeg

1713050498481.jpeg

OP
OP
C

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some shenanigans with the 3D printer. Designed and printed a bracket to hold some tools, as well as an inset mount for my light. The light bracket allows me to place my light on my mesh tank cover, and to center it, leaving my back chambers completely unobstructed.

1713207810646.jpeg
1713207851849.jpeg

1713207887234.jpeg
1713208295465.jpeg

I also printed this vortex flow nozzle that I found on Thingiverse (link to design: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1784377 Credit for design: Cleven)
1713208075622.jpeg

It's quite nice, it generates a nice randomized flow pattern.

That's all for now :)

Attachments

• 1713207929312.jpeg
    1713207929312.jpeg
    169.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
C

CoralNewb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some new friends for the tank :)

They've been in the tank for a week. The clownfish have already claimed the corner as their den, and methinks I see some growth on the bernardpora!!

I did have to deal with some vermetids that appeared on the Acan...easily crushed with a pair of needle nosed pliers.

Also, getting some brownish algae on the sand, I think they are dinos.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 68 35.1%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 49 25.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 62 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.1%
Back