Benthic sharks with urchins?

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah this is the conclusion I came to as well. That's what the whole barrel discussion was about, I was thinking of a cheap setup to turn a bunch of concrete/porous rock into liverock in an outside barrel, though I'd probably be better off getting something like a bead filter.

I'm gonna invest in building an algae turf scrubber of some sort, just don't know what it will be like. Would be cool if I could make a pressurized box that allowed water to flow up and down several layers of algae suroounded by lots and lots of light and lots and lots of reflective surfaces. I'll be maily relying on it, and (if that's not enough) a bead filter and a protein skimmer as back up. And a good well armored cuc will help as well.

With what I am planning I might actually be going way overkill.
I honestly wanna see that build!!!!!

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using algae is fine but I would look more towards a passive denitrification filter as there is no need to over complicate the process. I am going to use a 150gallon tank for my refuge filled with macro algae. If that's not enough the denitrification filter will be added.
If that's the only filtration you're going to be adding, it might become tough, and a tank crash would porbably be inbound. Of course that depends on the inhabitants of the aquarium. What were you going to fill your tank with again?
I was planning a 200 gallon refugium myself, but I felt it overcomplicated things a bit, though I might still go ahead and get one. I've heard many experienced hobbyists saying that algae scrubbers have made all their other filtration become almost obsolete, with the remaining filtration either used as a backup or used just to make the water look nice (though algae filters can accomplish this).

150 gallon refugium sounds tiny compared to a 1600 gallon tank. I'm thinking that you could perhaps make use of cleaner clams. They're relatively cheap critters that filter feed on particulates, and, though not suited to reef temperatures, can live for upwards of a year in such environments. Just make sure, however, that you (a) have a cleaner crew that will scavenge them out from the sand if they die, or (b) put them on a tack/off the sand so that they don't die in your sand if you can't do (a). From what I've read, they act like living protein skimmers and have never bombed someone's tank like giant clams do when they die.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or u don't have to spend that much money and get a 100 gal plastic bin[emoji2]
Really my solution is not that expensive. If you are planning to setup a system over 1000gallons then buying hdpe containers is a good investment. My displays are going to be plywood construction which is an enormous savings over glass or acrylic. My sumps will be hdpe tanks and a used 150 gallon tank as the refuge. If a plastic container has been proven reef safe I am all for using it. It also depends on the system layout. For me 3 sumps are needed to build the system I want. I wanted lots of extra water volume for stability.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If that's the only filtration you're going to be adding, it might become tough, and a tank crash would porbably be inbound. Of course that depends on the inhabitants of the aquarium. What were you going to fill your tank with again?
I was planning a 200 gallon refugium myself, but I felt it overcomplicated things a bit, though I might still go ahead and get one. I've heard many experienced hobbyists saying that algae scrubbers have made all their other filtration become almost obsolete, with the remaining filtration either used as a backup or used just to make the water look nice (though algae filters can accomplish this).

150 gallon refugium sounds tiny compared to a 1600 gallon tank. I'm thinking that you could perhaps make use of cleaner clams. They're relatively cheap critters that filter feed on particulates, and, though not suited to reef temperatures, can live for upwards of a year in such environments. Just make sure, however, that you (a) have a cleaner crew that will scavenge them out from the sand if they die, or (b) put them on a tack/off the sand so that they don't die in your sand if you can't do (a). From what I've read, they act like living protein skimmers and have never bombed someone's tank like giant clams do when they die.
For me the total system is about 1600 gallons the displays are a 480 & 720 the rest of the water volume is sump or refuge. Plus the giant skimmer I am building. Slowly building up live stock and monitoring water quality will dictate the additional filtration needed.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me the total system is about 1600 gallons the displays are a 480 & 720 the rest of the water volume is sump or refuge. Plus the giant skimmer I am building. Slowly building up live stock and monitoring water quality will dictate the additional filtration needed.
Do tell me how that skimmer works out. I would love to build my own as well!
Derailing a bit: have you considered using natural gas to heat your tank? It will cost a LOT less than electricity would. Of course, that's in the case you actually care how much it would cost.
Back to topic, slowly watching for need of more filtration is a good idea, and I wish you good luck.

AlexG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do tell me how that skimmer works out. I would love to build my own as well!
Derailing a bit: have you considered using natural gas to heat your tank? It will cost a LOT less than electricity would. Of course, that's in the case you actually care how much it would cost.
Back to topic, slowly watching for need of more filtration is a good idea, and I wish you good luck.
I am hoping the skimmer works out well. For heating I am going to see how well the temp regulates in the basement. I am thinking I will need to insulate the basement walls in the winter. I hate to think about needing a gas heater. It will be trial and error with heating. I am going to fill the system with freshwater for a month or two before adding salt to figure out those details and make sure my plywood tanks don't leak. It will be stressful during that time but I want to start with freshwater to vet issues before the salt is addded. 1600 gallons of salt water is not cheap and I do not want to waste salt. Any large build like yours will need time to be tested for leaks or other issues before starting to stock the tank. It's part of the fun in keeping aquariums. [emoji2]

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am hoping the skimmer works out well. For heating I am going to see how well the temp regulates in the basement. I am thinking I will need to insulate the basement walls in the winter. I hate to think about needing a gas heater. It will be trial and error with heating. I am going to fill the system with freshwater for a month or two before adding salt to figure out those details and make sure my plywood tanks don't leak. It will be stressful during that time but I want to start with freshwater to vet issues before the salt is addded. 1600 gallons of salt water is not cheap and I do not want to waste salt. Any large build like yours will need time to be tested for leaks or other issues before starting to stock the tank. It's part of the fun in keeping aquariums. [emoji2]
Yeah starting with freshwater is probably the best idea just to see whether your tank will hold.
I'm planning to save on saltwater by driving to the coast 70 miles away every few months and bringing a half a ton of saltwater. Minimize my need for water changes, and then do that, and then I'll be golden. I don't know if that'll really save me much (or anything at all), but hey, I get an excuse to go to the coast and I get my water cheaper.

I might just try to eliminate my need for water changes, but with sharks that will be truly difficult.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah starting with freshwater is probably the best idea just to see whether your tank will hold.
I'm planning to save on saltwater by driving to the coast 70 miles away every few months and bringing a half a ton of saltwater. Minimize my need for water changes, and then do that, and then I'll be golden. I don't know if that'll really save me much (or anything at all), but hey, I get an excuse to go to the coast and I get my water cheaper.

I might just try to eliminate my need for water changes, but with sharks that will be truly difficult.
Ud better put that through a filter and skimmer u have no idea what parasites cld be in ocean water and Q which ocean

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ud better put that through a filter and skimmer u have no idea what parasites cld be in ocean water and Q which ocean
Yeah I'd obviously put it through a filter and skimmer (and maybe even boil it, but that would make me need RODI water to redilute the lost water).

And the water will be from the pacific ocean. Oregon beaches.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT BOIL IT ull kill all the good stuff but careful most of North America's waters are polluted so u wanna make sure it's crystal clear and even then filter it real well

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DONT BOIL IT ull kill all the good stuff but careful most of North America's waters are polluted so u wanna make sure it's crystal clear and even then filter it real well
Well it wouldn't have less good stuff than the water we normally put in tanks ;P
RO/DI will take all the salt from the water no?
No, what I'm saying is when boiling salt water, some of the water will evaproate, making the water too saline. I'll use RO/DI water to properly dilute it to the level it should be at.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it wouldn't have less good stuff than the water we normally put in tanks ;P

No, what I'm saying is when boiling salt water, some of the water will evaproate, making the water too saline. I'll use RO/DI water to properly dilute it to the level it should be at.
Less it wld have nothing everything wld be dead

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I meant by wont RO/DI take out the salt I meant the unit not the water I never use anything other then RO/DI water

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Less it wld have nothing everything wld be dead
Well yeah. We take water and turn it into RO/DI water and buy buckets of salt to turn it into saltwater, but do you really think that has anything alive in it? Mostly not.

OP
OP
LadAShark

LadAShark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What I meant by wont RO/DI take out the salt I meant the unit not the water I never use anything other then RO/DI water
Yeah, but I won't be passing the salt water through it. I'll be passing tap water through the RO/DI and adding it.

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well yeah. We take water and turn it into RO/DI water and buy buckets of salt to turn it into saltwater, but do you really think that has anything alive in it? Mostly not.
From the ocean? Of course it does every drop of ocean water has billions of microorganisms

meir

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw I'm loving the prof pic[emoji23][emoji23][emoji108][emoji108][emoji1376][emoji1376][emoji1376]

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back