Berghia Nudibranch, Belfast

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey,

New to R2R and to the hobbie. Not sure Where's best to post this.

Acquired 300ltr Aqua one reef tank. Have porcupine puffer, blue chromis, hermit crabs, snails, corals and one star fish. And a lot of Aiptasia -_-

Anyone from Northern Ireland, Belfast who sell Berghia Nudibranch? Afraid to try peppermint shrimp as my puffer might eat them! Desperately need these Aiptasia gone!

Online sellers are very expensive and difficult to come by.

I'd heard there was one guy here that sold them, hopefully still does.

Thanks.

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, sometimes if possible set up a quarantine tank if you get some Nudibranches so the other fish and inverts do not eat them, Once they get established they will absolutely decimate the a-Tisa.
If not look into lye, make sure you follow all safety protocols.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck, sometimes if possible set up a quarantine tank if you get some Nudibranches so the other fish and inverts do not eat them, Once they get established they will absolutely decimate the a-Tisa.
If not look into lye, make sure you follow all safety protocols.
Hey, thanks for the advice! I'm a little nervous to use lye just yet. Although I will look into - thanks! I have a lot of rock, I wonder if I move each rock in turn into a QT with peppermints for a while, will they eat the Aiptasia? Or I might just cut my corals off the rocks, then try and boil them or something Hesitant to sell my puffer, but he might have to go so I can use Peppermint shrimp

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do not boil the rock, it can be deadly to people and animals in a house.
Our club has used Lye and it just kills the stuff and does not change the chemistry to the tank. If you are going to use please go the the chemistry forum and ask them everything you need to do.
I just purchased 3 Berghia's but I am in the states, hopefully these will take, I think the predators were eating mine before. Now they are in a QT.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone heard of brittlestars and bristleworms eating Berghia?

Scrap getting Berghia! Seems everything eats them, and amphipods eat their eggs, so not much hope they'd survive my tank with pods, brittlestars and bristleworms! (Sigh)

Last edited:

Blue Spot Octopus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could try a QT and see if that works, I purchased 3 Berghia and I can only find one of them, so in one month I do not see any eggs and they are in a QT.

OP
OP
KyleC

KyleC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a QT setup but will be adding copper treatment to it soon. Decided I'll give the Berghia a go... apparently if you have enough, and they lay enough eggs, some should survive the amphipods... so we'll see. I've no predators for the amphipods atm so they're ruling the tank! Some big ones too!

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back