Berghia nudibranch

RichWise73

Hi, I'm Rish!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking of getting some berghia ro help eradicate some aiptasia before they explode in numbers. What methods can be used to recapture the nudibranchs once the aiptasia are gone? I was looking to rehome them rather than letting them starve to death.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you have a plastic pipette, cut the tip off, about 1-2", so it's a wide opening and suck them up gently. They release pretty easily.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to the spot-on comment from @OrchidMiss, if they are hungry they will be white and IME they will often come out looking for food making them easier to access.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 14 since January and they are starving out. When they can’t find aiptasia they will let go of rocks and float around in hope of being brought to a new area to hunt more. I keep finding them in the return chamber of my sump or floating around. They are alive. You will also see them out in day time more because they are hungry and exploring. I am convinced I have no aiptasia left.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have 14 since January and they are starving out. When they can’t find aiptasia they will let go of rocks and float around in hope of being brought to a new area to hunt more. I keep finding them in the return chamber of my sump or floating around. They are alive. You will also see them out in day time more because they are hungry and exploring. I am convinced I have no aiptasia left.
Want some? I'll send you a rock
Kung Fu Wtf GIF by A24

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
How long did it take for you to notice a difference? Battling a horrible infestation. I've added about 18 total over last few months.
There are lots of variables, but it is a months thing, not a days or weeks solution.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Il…take them off your hands… or return chamber if you’d like hahaha

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long did it take for you to notice a difference? Battling a horrible infestation. I've added about 18 total over last few months.

I added 14 to my 75g tank in January. Berghia are pack hunters until they are fully grown. To truly outcompete the aiptasia which are constantly reproducing, your berghia need to reproduce also. They need to lay eggs and start the process of multiplying beyond the amount we originally buy

I have defeated massive infestations twice with berghia. What I learned is

1) a tank is very large for them. Aiptasia is everywhere. I divide the tank in thirds and make 3 berghia starting colonies. I turn off flow completely and using a wide pipette tool, I place them in groups of 5 on the left, center, and right side of the tank. Let them grab on rock and hide. And then then on flow and lights.

2 months went by. 2 months. And I didn’t see a single berghia. And I was checking at night with a flashlight. Didn’t see one for 2 months.

Then one day at almost exactly the two month mark, I found one at night. And then I saw it again the next night. And a few days later I saw 2. And from then on I could find a few out at night at any random time I chose to look. Then I started seeing big huge ones in the day time. I saw groups of smaller ones working together to eat aiptasia.

This all started around mid to late march. We are now at the end of April and I haven’t been able to find an aiptasia for a week and the berghia are randomly found in my sump or floating / drifting looking for new spots. I am convinced if I had any aiptasia they would be on top of it.

These came from reef town btw

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell and ship them but I can not guarantee their survival. I don’t know how long before they starve and I don’t know when they ate last. I don’t fully feel comfortable unless someone was willing to accept risk and pay the shipping.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would sell and ship them but I can not guarantee their survival. I don’t know how long before they starve and I don’t know when they ate last. I don’t fully feel comfortable unless someone was willing to accept risk and pay the shipping.
I’ll pay for shipping no problem
I’ll send you a dm

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captured 6 easily.
1 small
4 medium
1 medium - large with reddish tones
1 large with reddish tones

I would sell the group for 40$ + sh
Keep in mind the large sell for 27$ a piece and I haven’t seen them available in months.

issue is we need fast shipping and there’s no movement on sundays.

Anyone interested I have a water tight jar and insulated boxes. Send me a pm

7B30C967-A2BD-45A1-A965-F5060A5A05FB.jpeg F48DBFAD-0F0E-4F16-BB3F-42D14B7A4856.jpeg 6BC66531-20E0-40E9-8518-BFB8FC495C1C.jpeg

Last edited:

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captured 6 easily.
1 small
4 medium
1 medium - large with reddish tones
1 large with reddish tones

I would sell the group for 40$ + sh
Keep in mind the large sell for 27$ a piece and I haven’t seen them available in months.

issue is we need fast shipping and there’s no movement on sundays.

Anyone interested I have a water tight jar and insulated boxes. Send me a pm

7B30C967-A2BD-45A1-A965-F5060A5A05FB.jpeg F48DBFAD-0F0E-4F16-BB3F-42D14B7A4856.jpeg 6BC66531-20E0-40E9-8518-BFB8FC495C1C.jpeg

If you have no food and are trying to hold them for a couple days, keep them around 65 degrees. It will not hurt them, and it will significantly slow their metabolism so that they do not starve as quickly.

LFGJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no food and are trying to hold them for a couple days, keep them around 65 degrees. It will not hurt them, and it will significantly slow their metabolism so that they do not starve as quickly.
Whoa first time hearing that
Makes sense
And might help folks keep Berghia for longer

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 19 22.1%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 12 14.0%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back