Best AEFW predators

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly I found out that I had AEFW which was causing one of my Millies to lose color. I’ve since dipped all frags and removed eggs. However I do have two acros (another Millie and Green Slimer) that are encrusted to the rock, so dipping is not an option.

Going to try KZ flatworm stop and introduce a predator. I currently have a red Solon and a lubbocks wrasse that are established. Tank is 65G. What are some good AEFW recommendations?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most things will eat them, they just won't hunt on them. Most fish will eat them if you blow them into the watercolumn.

Shrimp are good - peppermints are the best. Arrow crabs. Acro crabs are wonderful. Probably emerald and pitho crabs too.

Some of the hunter/pecker fish like copperbands can eat them, but they struggle to get deep into colonies.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the colonies encrusted on the rock? If not too big it may be worthwhile to remove them to dip weekly until no signs of FW, 6-8 weeks. Set up a proper QT if more acro are planned for future

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large are the colonies encrusted on the rock? If not too big it may be worthwhile to remove them to dip weekly until no signs of FW, 6-8 weeks. Set up a proper QT if more acro are planned for future
Not that large I guess, maybe 3x3 inch encrusted? Wondering if I cut it off and just use kalkpaste to kill the encrusted portions …..

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not that large I guess, maybe 3x3 inch encrusted? Wondering if I cut it off and just use kalkpaste to kill the encrusted portions …..
That’s a good option! It’s easy to cure now then later when you wanna add more acros and have regrets..

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most things will eat them, they just won't hunt on them. Most fish will eat them if you blow them into the watercolumn.

Shrimp are good - peppermints are the best. Arrow crabs. Acro crabs are wonderful. Probably emerald and pitho crabs too.

Some of the hunter/pecker fish like copperbands can eat them, but they struggle to get deep into colonies.
Are Acro crabs effective? The idea of them sounds cool but I don’t have colonies. More like grown out frags if that makes sense.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acro crabs job is to keep their host clean. They are good at it. They don't live long (year or two) and will not likely wander off of the acro, so they will not get rid of AEFW. They should keep their single acro clean.

PeterErc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kalk paste will kill it can also scrub the base with a tooth brush, scratch the base off with a utensil, cover with epoxy.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The things can swim away when they sense danger is coming. They can swim back too. They are good at surviving.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the help guys. I’m going to start the management route with weekly dips and yellow coris wrasse and if it doesn’t improve, then go with removal and fallow route.
Peppermint shrimp are good. SPECULATION: I think they do best on eggs. I don't think they climb (unless they have to) on live acro flesh. Good luck proving me wrong. Eating eggs is enough to justify and solve.

Springeri damsels are -- I think -- underrated AEFW assassins. Mean fish though.

Lastly, as long as you have sand, Melanurus Wrasse and/or 6/12 lines wrasses.

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you end up with I would recommend buying the animal, fish or shrimp, because you like it with utility possibilities second or a distant third. Nothing like buying an animal expecting it to do A and it decides it likes the more readily available food(s).

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whatever you end up with I would recommend buying the animal, fish or shrimp, because you like it with utility possibilities second or a distant third. Nothing like buying an animal expecting it to do A and it decides it likes the more readily available food(s).
Is the yellow Coris wrasse not a good option for AEFW?

Dorsetsteve

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can glue what you cut off onto a tile it will make the process of dipping it easier going forward. Once you are clean you can always cut down or off the tile to remount.

AlexandraDreadlocksPanda

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best predator of AEFW by far is you, armed with a garden sprayer filled with tank water with Potassium Chloride added. Drain down tank, spray Acro’s & rockwork, wait 30 mins and refill. Repeat 3 more times at 2 week intervals. Worked for me in my 5’ & frag tank .

OP
OP
kartrsu

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best predator of AEFW by far is you, armed with a garden sprayer filled with tank water with Potassium Chloride added. Drain down tank, spray Acro’s & rockwork, wait 30 mins and refill. Repeat 3 more times at 2 week intervals. Worked for me in my 5’ & frag tank .
Does this create unhealthy levels of potassium build up or affect the livestock in anyway?

Kactai

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also like to know more about this.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back