Best bang for the buck.

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've seen a lot of questions about what equipment to buy. I know when I first started out I bought all the wrong stuff which ended up costing me twice as much when I had to replace it with the right stuff. So since most people start off with a tank that is around 55gal, post what equipment you think is the best bang for the buck for that sized tank.

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say the new odessya fixtures work great they must be trying to competenow the fixtures look nice and theyve included LED's on all the fixtures

KyleP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what not to buy! Don't get talked into a seaclone skimmer. And for starting fish, go with the green chromis over the damsels.

dougers31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to say the new odessya fixtures work great they must be trying to competenow the fixtures look nice and theyve included LED's on all the fixtures

Are they starting to use better ballasts now? Before there were issues with a few of them only lasting for a short while. For a skimmer a good less expensive one would be either a bubble magus or vertex.

justinm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From my experience, get a sump. So either a) get it reef ready or b) get it drilled professionally for much cheaper or c) a nice HOB overflow works well too

just realized it doesn't describe any certain product, just a thought instead

Last edited:

akabryanhall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as MH bulbs go, the Phoenix seems like the best bang for the buck. 14K, but blue like 20K, and I believe most bulbs will be at 75% efficiency when they quit, so no die off as the bulb gets older.

re-fin-away

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for equipment for that size tank I would recommend watching the for sale threads. There are people upgrading tobigger tanks all the time and you can find a good deal on some good used equipment. For fish make a list of the top ten you want to get and then find out which ones get along. dont skim on a skimmer I like the octo xp1000sss.

OP
OP
gar732

gar732

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you what not to buy! Don't get talked into a seaclone skimmer. And for starting fish, go with the green chromis over the damsels.

I made both those mistakes along with overpriced pc lighting from one of my lfs. Another large mistake was using the meds they suggested for ich, yeah copper. They know I had a reef too.

Patrick2DX

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A h.o.t over flow box to a 20gal long sump with a Refugium, Skimmer, h.o.t magnum Canister Filter(in Sump)Heater, Return pump that's plumbed into the tank with a spry bar and i have a 304 fluval canister filter. This is my current 55gal reef tank setup.

jordan3548

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they starting to use better ballasts now? Before there were issues with a few of them only lasting for a short while. For a skimmer a good less expensive one would be either a bubble magus or vertex.

Theyve completely redesigned everything including the ballasts. I must say i am pretty impressed so far

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 28 14.9%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 43 22.9%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 109 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.3%
Back