Best fish food?

4n2xtacy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, my personal schedule have been quite off lately. I leave the house quite early before anyone wakes up and get back late when most are sleeping in my tank. I've been feeding frozen foods but now I wanna start with some flakes using the automatic feeder. My question is what's the best flakes and pallet food out there for the guys? The tankmates are as follows
1. Leopard wrasse
1. Goby
1. Marine betta
1. Cardinal
1. Anthias
1. Blue chromis
2. Fire fish
Shrimps and hermit crabs.
Starfishes
1. Snowflake eel
And
Corals.

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some of these from BRS! How do you like it? I've heard so much good about it but it's barely mentioned. Is it very niche or just new?

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ordered some of these from BRS! How do you like it? I've heard so much good about it but it's barely mentioned. Is it very niche or just new?
It’s base is Otohime, a Japanese feed that’s been around for a long time and has an amazing track record. It’s used worldwide to wean tiny larval fish from live foods to inert feeds. The Reed folks just started marketing smaller packaging and some value added top coating to get more heavily into the ornamental market recently. So it’s neither niche nor new, but sort of newly reintroduced to the consumer aquarium industry :)

Icylder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. That's a really interesting back story. Does this mean it's not ideal as a staple food for say, clownfish? Thank you!

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a mix of hikari marine s and seaweed extreme pellets in my auto feeder.

Greybeard

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't use much for dry foods... just prefer frozen. Hikari Marine S is about the only pellet I use. Sushi grade sheet Nori, and I keep a jar of PE Mysis flake, but hardly ever use it.

I understand why people want to do auto feeders... but since I work from home, it's no big deal for me to do several feedings in a day. After breakfast, I put a couple cubes in a cup of saltwater to thaw, and just dump a little in when I walk past the tank.

rushbattle

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh wow. That's a really interesting back story. Does this mean it's not ideal as a staple food for say, clownfish? Thank you!
Not only is it suitable, they have done scientific studies on clownfish coloration with that feed to optimize coloration of ornamentals. No other feed manufacturer in the ornamental industry has done that to my knowledge. It is really good stuff.

I also use Brine Shrimp Direct Golden Pearls, which is fantastic as well.

Reef Nutrition

We Feed Your Reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TDO is one of the most popular weaning, growout and broodstock feeds in clownfish aquaculture. TDO is ideal for nearly every fish, whether it's freshwater, brackish or marine. People are even feeding it to corals. Here is an example of a weaning structure we designed for clownfish breeders. This chart was put together based on their recommendations.
upload_2019-2-1_11-22-57.png

Mical

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Hikari Marine S & Hikari Seaweed Extreme daily, cube frozen or littleneck clams on weekends and reef roids for the corals.

Thingsibuild

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I almost always feed my fish diy frozen food. But I was having phosphate issues from a dead skimmer. So for the last two weeks I've been feeding the TDO pellets. My fish look a little brighter I was surprised. I will definitely keep it in the feeding rotation.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back