Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Scurvy

Pirate Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The growth and shadowing is why I was thinking of adding a 4 bulb t5 with the kessil 360w tuna blue. I like the radion gen 4 but dont know if it will be enough for the 93cube by itself

what about a kessil ap700?

I think coverage would be similar with the AP700 as it would with a Radion. I'm with you on one light for simplicity sake. Gen 4 might be a little better coverage wise but it's been a bit since I looked at specs.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
and no. the ap700 is not powerful enough

BPiers

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep. 8 Bulb T5. I might add some ReefBrites onto mine, but I run E5 bulbs for a best of both worlds color and growth. Very happy!

BigDog008

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Funny to see this thread since I've gone through many many hoops with my 93 cube and lighting... so here's my take...

Originally I started out with two Kessil 360 WE Tuna Blues and two 24 watt T5's to supplement (Blue + and Coral +)... I had nice polyp extension on my SPS frags and all were happy... the issue with this setup was the aesthetics... I had originally gone with a cube setup for the more modern look which my wife also liked; having T5 bulbs and Kessils forced me to create a small canopy structure which was suspended from the ceiling, taking away from the modern aesthetics.

Next I decided to try out the Kessil AP 700 since both wife and I really liked the shimmer of the Kessil pendants. Initially it met all our criteria, modern look, shimmer, etc. but polyp extension was much less pronounced, and I was not interested in spending another $800 for another Kessil AP 700

Thus leading to the current state of things, Radion XR30w Pro Gen 4. I initially started off with one unit, and was very pleased (so I thought).... great light, fits into my Apex seamlessly, modern look, and very nice polyp extension. The issue I had was there was shadowing from just a single unit... To solve this, I installed another Radion XR30w Pro Gen 4 unit, and needless to say, no more shadowing!

Even if your budget allows for a single Radion XR30w Pro Gen 4, I highly suggest this light. It gives off a very clean light, good shimmer (though not Kessil shimmer), and wonderful polyp extension on SPS... costly unit? Most definitely, but you will be very satisfied :)

For what it's worth, I'm also running two MP60 QD's on my cube so the Radion seemed like the most logical choice to try from the Kessils.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 59 78.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back