"Best Overflow"?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this, but obviously not out of clear acrylic!

Overflow.jpg

That's perfect ghost with bean animal setup. Here is a pic of my bean animal. I wish I had the overflow box on the outside. Then there would be no need for a ghost box on the inside.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425068641.807398.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup!

I wish I had the overflow box on the outside. Then there would be no need for a ghost box on the inside.
Interesting, if you only had a drain box on the outside how would you skim the surface of the water inside the tank?

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By cutting a notch out of the glass so it would flow into the box on the outside of the tank. Kinda like these picks but with bean animal setup for drains.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425070110.169148.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425070116.449020.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1425070124.549025.jpg

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ahh ok, I love that type, ReefSavvy calls it a "Hybrid External"...
Hybrid External.JPG

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. First time I've seen the internal box.
I checked on getting the hybrid external but it was crazy expensive. I think 4-5K shipped. Can't remember exact size but large tank.

Av8Bluewater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. First time I've seen the internal box.&nbsp;<br>I checked on getting the hybrid external but it was crazy expensive. I think 4-5K shipped. Can't remember exact size but large tank.&nbsp;

Scratch that it was $2900 for a 155 front panel low iron with ghost overflow. (the built in type. )

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ghost style is all about aesthetics because it takes up less space inside the aquarium.

But no matter what you do, the best functioning overflow is a coast-to-coast toothless overflow with BeanAnimal style drains.
And for one reason... this combo provides an UNBEATABLE amount of surface skimming. Hands down. All those proteins/organics that float to the top of the water surface need to get to your sump where they can be skimmed and this is the setup that will do it.

On the other end of the spectrum, those little corner overflows are the absolute worst.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ghost style is all about aesthetics because it takes up less space inside the aquarium.

But no matter what you do, the best functioning overflow is a coast-to-coast toothless overflow with BeanAnimal style drains.
And for one reason... this combo provides an UNBEATABLE amount of surface skimming. Hands down. All those proteins/organics that float to the top of the water surface need to get to your sump where they can be skimmed and this is the setup that will do it.

On the other end of the spectrum, those little corner overflows are the absolute worst.

While I agree that it does create the best functioning overflow, it shouldn't be the only criteria. Function and form are both important. I personally don't like having my overflow continue to the edge of the tank. In my opinion, the dual chamber, or "ghost" style overflow give a good balance of both form and function. I feel the performance would be pretty close to a true C2C if the internal box is close to the overall length of the tank and uses a smooth weir. However, if I was going to have an in-wall tank where I couldn't see the sides, I would definitely use a C2C with an external box.

Last edited:

143MPCo

ASSIST PROTECT DEFEND
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would not the function and the form be dictated by the orientation of the tank?
Additionally, while I like the general concept of a C2C I'm no fan of a deed hanging internal skimming box as I feel it's too much of an obstruction.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I agree that it does create the best functioning overflow, it shouldn't be the only criteria. Function and form are both important. I personally don't like having my overflow continue to the edge of the tank. In my opinion, the dual chamber, or "ghost" style overflow give a good balance of both form and function. I feel the performance would be pretty close to a true C2C if the internal box is close to the overall length of the tank and uses a smooth weir. However, if I was going to have an in-wall tank where I couldn't see the sides, I would definitely use a C2C with an external box.

Ghost style and coast to coast are two different things. You can have one or the other or both.
Mine is ghost style and almost coast to coast. Was going to do a full length c2c again but wanted a little bit of room on the ends for my return lines this time with the option of using sea swirls.
Either way, it was going to be ghost style and either way I have a massive toothless overflow that surface skims like nobody's business.

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ghost style and coast to coast are two different things. You can have one or the other or both.
Mine is ghost style and almost coast to coast. Was going to do a full length c2c again but wanted a little bit of room on the ends for my return lines this time with the option of using sea swirls.
Either way, it was going to be ghost style and either way I have a massive toothless overflow that surface skims like nobody's business.

I think your design if I understand it right is the best of both worlds, and the way I was trying to describe the one I want to build. I do think the terminology is a bit convoluted at this point.

To me the way I understand it is:

A "ghost" style is anything with a two chamber system. A slim box on the inside connecting a larger outside box with bulkheads where your 3 drain system is.

A C2C comes in two flavors:

The first is the "internal C3C" like the original bean style with two pieces of glass glued inside the tank with your plumbing coming though the back of the tank.

The second is probably the least obtrusive inside the tank. The back glass is slotted so the water can flow into a box glued to the back of the tank. The last one usually requires a custom build tank, because the back glass needs to be slotted on a CNC at the factory before the tank is assembled.

Again, I prefer the one like you have. A dual chambered overflow with a 3 drain system and an internal smooth overflow that runs almost the entire length of the tank.

Kwstudz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can either of you two tell me where you got these awesome c2c ghost overflows made? I would definitely want one for my upcoming tank.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really liked my coast to coast with external Bean Animal drain on my old 75 gallon tank. That would be my choice for future builds [painted black, covered in vinyl or something, etc.]

Kwstudz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my garage! LOL I ended up starting to make them. Do you have a specific sized tank you are going to be using. We offer them in standard sizes of 24" and 35".

https://www.exoticmarinesystems.com/collections/overflows-systems
Do you make anything bigger than 35"?
I would really like a more of a coast to coast. Everything I hear about them is just great. Im getting a standard 180, so I'd like to get one closer to 60" than just 35. And do you provide a drill template?

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do. I have made them up to 60" before. They use the same rear box as the 35", so the holes are the same. It flows massive amounts of water absolutely silent. It really is awesome. the only problem is that it is so large, that the shipping goes through the roof. The price over the standard 35" is $75. Almost all of that goes into the shipping.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back