best paint for aquarium glass?

Righteous

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Benjamin Moore Natura which is a latex paint. I was painting the back of a full tank with livestock and wanted something that wouldn't kill everything. The Natura had no fumes. You could stick your nose in the paint can and not smell a thing. Went on easy and no splatters as well. Took maybe 3 coats. Also as a plus, each coat fully dried in only 20 minutes.

Bowser

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the best paint to use on the outside, back of a glass aquarium???? Going with Black for color just wondering what paint brand and type works good for this. Thanks in advance for the help.
I used the roll on matte latex from lowes. Heard good things about krylon too.

Rjramos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS sells the blue or black non translucent film by the foot from about a 36" wide roll . A lot of people are afraid of installing this material, so was I. But truly easy! Cut top to bottom precise, leave 1" on the sides. Spray a mild soap solution onto the film and back of tank. Place it, slide it into position, squeegee out the bubbles. Trim the edges. A really clean look and durable! If a tint tech does this to the concave irregular surfaces of your cars windows inside to perfection, imagine how easy a flat rectangular glass can be.

Tooch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the best paint to use on the outside, back of a glass aquarium???? Going with Black for color just wondering what paint brand and type works good for this. Thanks in advance for the help.

I went to Lowes and bought cheap black semi gloss, and used a small foam roller. One, or two to fully cover and touch up, and good to go. Good luck

WilRams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cheapest black paint I can find. Tape off. Spray a couple coats. Spot check with a flashlight incase you missed anything and done.

cameronh

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost any will work but I have had good luck with Krylon Fusion. For an extra heavy duty and scratch resistant finish. Cover the paint (afer a couple of drying days) with a shelf paper. Now it wont scratch or rub off. One up side is when/if you ever decide to remove the paint most of it will come off when you peel the shelf paper away. Reduces the scraping of the rest to a bare minimum.
I agree with fusion. Your name....masterbuilder.....Lego movie?....

TaylorPilot

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always used Krylon Fusion, so I can't recommend anything else. I will say that if you tape it off and lay it with the rear panel laying horizontal to the ground, you don't have to worry about drips and can lay it on really thick (can't see them from the front). I always wait till it dries a little, then shine a flash light from inside the tank. You will think it is completely covered, but you will be able to see light shine through. I lay it on thick in those places, and it lasts till you tear the tank down. I recently scraped some off of an old tank, and it came off pretty quick (2 minutes) with a razor blade.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 63 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back