Best phosphate additive?

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
Im looking to dose PO4 into my mixed reef tank because they are 0 and have been for a while, even with increased feeding. A lot of people are telling me this may be what is wrong with my tank, so im going to give it a shot. Ive seen Seachem Flourish Phosphorous recommend, but its for freshwater planets tanks. Any suggestions here?

#reefsquad #dosing

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seachem flourish phosphate. Make sure its phosphate. Be careful the tock will absorb it and than slowly release. You may see a huge increase of algae. Be ready to add a good amount of cuc

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello all,
Im looking to dose PO4 into my mixed reef tank because they are 0 and have been for a while, even with increased feeding. A lot of people are telling me this may be what is wrong with my tank, so im going to give it a shot. Ive seen Seachem Flourish Phosphorous recommend, but its for freshwater planets tanks. Any suggestions here?

#reefsquad #dosing

Yes, that will work fine. Neo Phos is another premix.

Are you using a Hanna Checker to measure PO4? Most other test kits don't have the resolution you need to detect PO4 in lower concentrations. If you are going to begin dosing PO4 (or dosing anything for that matter) you need a quality test kit.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that will work fine. Neo Phos is another premix.

Are you using a Hanna Checker to measure PO4? Most other test kits don't have the resolution you need to detect PO4 in lower concentrations. If you are going to begin dosing PO4 (or dosing anything for that matter) you need a quality test kit.

Thank you! I do have a test kit, but I am ordering a Hanna ULR Phosphate today

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I do have a test kit, but I am ordering a Hanna ULR Phosphate today
Excellent. Grab a couple extra reagent packs as well. It is CRITICAL that both test vials remain spotless clean. Rinse with RODI after use. I wear nitrile gloves when handling the vials because a slight smudge throws the results off.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent. Grab a couple extra reagent packs as well. It is CRITICAL that both test vials remain spotless clean. Rinse with RODI after use. I wear nitrile gloves when handling the vials because a slight smudge throws the results off.
ThanKs for the tips!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ScottB said. I don't use both vials when testing like a lot of folks do though. I always handle them and wipe them down with a lint free cloth. Also I use the 10 on the vial label to align with the latch on the lid. That way the vial is oriented exactly the same each step of the test. By doing that I can obtain repeatability of 1-2 ppb (I use the older Phosphorous ULR).

I keep a bottle of RO/DI in a spray bottle near my testing area and triple rinse them after every use.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What ScottB said. I don't use both vials when testing like a lot of folks do though. I always handle them and wipe them down with a lint free cloth. Also I use the 10 on the vial label to align with the latch on the lid. That way the vial is oriented exactly the same each step of the test. By doing that I can obtain repeatability of 1-2 ppb (I use the older Phosphorous ULR).

I keep a bottle of RO/DI in a spray bottle near my testing area and triple rinse them after every use.

thank you!

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Seachem Flourish Phospherous as needed for Po4 dosing...works great.

I second the use of only 1 vial when using the Hanna Ultra Low Range PO4 checker...standardizes the readings.

Colemansreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Like one for tank water and one for water with reagent? And use a k water for c1 and the one with reagent for c2? Never knew people did that if that’s what you mean. It I agree with you I use one and I have a little squirt bottle type thing like tattoo artist use for soap and I fill it with rodi and once I fill the vial with tank water I rinse it in that rodi then dry with paper towel make sure no lint or smudges and always face the 10ml emblem to the front and always handle the vial with a clean paper towel in between steps.then clean with tap and rinse with rodi at the end.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is an old thread, but I will add to it for new readers: the best material for dosing phosphate (IMO) is food grade sodium phosphate (not sodium tripolyphosphate). It is much less expensive and carries a purity assurance that the hobby brands mentioned above do not.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dibasic is fine.

The choices are:

monosodium phosphate, NaH2PO4 (monobasic)
disodium phosphate, Na2HPO4 (dibasic)
trisodium phosphate, Na3PO4 (tribasic)

All forms are pretty much equally usable. The only difference is very tiny additions (trisodium) or depletions (monosodium) of alkalinity.

e34stx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im using Tropic Marin Phos-Feed with great results so far. although im not disputing other suggestions, i noticed my sps skin looks thick and puffy since using this. i needed to dose as my po4 was undetectable and dinos started to form on my rock work. its been 3 weeks elevating nutrients and the sps look better than ever. 2x scopes each day for around 2 weeks as dispite dosing the po4 bound to the rocks. now im sitting around 0.08-0.1ppm.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back