Best Skimmer and GFO reactor for a 164L 36G

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I’m looking to upgrade and add some equipment to my sump.

Currently running a TMC Reef-skim 200. Reading some reviews supposedly it’s not that great and there’s better, what would you recommend for my 36G with sump? My main complaint with it is the LOUD buzzing. Tired of years of turning it off to be able to sleep.

Also have some GFO stuff in my basket, how is the below image?

2E03A9C3-6DBA-4FD5-806B-467F5120268B.png

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the sump? For a 36 gallon it's iffy whether you'll really see any benefit with a reactor (a bag of ChemiPure Blue or Elite may give you the same effect for a lot less $).

OP
OP
alishasreef

alishasreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How large is the sump? For a 36 gallon it's iffy whether you'll really see any benefit with a reactor (a bag of ChemiPure Blue or Elite may give you the same effect for a lot less $).
Just got this from the web: Sump Pump Chamber: 150mm x 338mm

See I battled a phosphate issue previously, completely reset my tank up again with dry rock, scrubbed the sump clean etc. and have much lower levels but still not where it should be.

I’ve tried just bags of phosphate removers before however it didn’t really help.

Everything i’m reading is saying a reactor is the best next shot? :)

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a GFO reactor but I prefer Nyos Phosi-Ex. The granules are larger and it doesn't dispense a fine coating of rust-colored GFO all over the bottom of my tank.

I use a pair of Nyos Torq reactors - but I'm not sure if you'd have the space for one. I like that they're self-contained (pumps is included and is whisper quiet).

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a GFO reactor but I prefer Nyos Phosi-Ex. The granules are larger and it doesn't dispense a fine coating of rust-colored GFO all over the bottom of my tank.

I use a pair of Nyos Torq reactors - but I'm not sure if you'd have the space for one. I like that they're self-contained (pumps is included and is whisper quiet).
Do you actually pass on rinsing the Phosi-Ex before adding to your torq reactor as the container suggests?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you actually pass on rinsing the Phosi-Ex before adding to your torq reactor as the container suggests?
I do run a small amount of water through just to rinse off most of the reddish particles. Otherwise they just end up getting blown into the tank. There isn't very much, though (unlike Rowaphos).

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run a small amount of water through just to rinse off most of the reddish particles. Otherwise they just end up getting blown into the tank. There isn't very much, though (unlike Rowaphos).
I read the container and saw no rinse required and thought they’re crazy, but as you’ve experienced the dust is minimal. I look forward to trying this stuff, because like you, I don’t like the really fine stuff. Have you found it more or less absorbent than the others? I‘m going to use the rest of what I have, which is some gfo I bought from live aquaria years ago.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the container and saw no rinse required and thought they’re crazy, but as you’ve experienced the dust is minimal. I look forward to trying this stuff, because like you, I don’t like the really fine stuff. Have you found it more or less absorbent than the others? I‘m going to use the rest of what I have, which is some gfo I bought from live aquaria years ago.
It's bar-none the best GFO I've ever used. It doesn't leave a trail of fine, rust-colored particles stretching from the reactor to the bottom of my tank, it doesn't break down easily, water passes through it very well and it does a very decent job of keeping my phosphates around the 0.10-0.15ppm mark (I have close to 50 fish, so that's saying something).

Mjl714

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's bar-none the best GFO I've ever used. It doesn't leave a trail of fine, rust-colored particles stretching from the reactor to the bottom of my tank, it doesn't break down easily, water passes through it very well and it does a very decent job of keeping my phosphates around the 0.10-0.15ppm mark (I have close to 50 fish, so that's saying something).
I generally mix equal rox .08 and gfo into a bag and then into media reactor, are you bagging up the phosi ex before adding to your torq’s reactor? Do you mix with carbon for help maintaining circulation?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally mix equal rox .08 and gfo into a bag and then into media reactor, are you bagging up the phosi ex before adding to your torq’s reactor? Do you mix with carbon for help maintaining circulation?
I run a Nyos Torq 1.0 G2 body, so I have Nyos carbon in the bottom 1/2 (~500ml) and Nyos Phosi-Ex in the top 1/2 (~500 ml as well). I don't use any bags as there's a mesh separator between them and a foam sponge on top. Only the Phosi-Ex has the potential to tumble, but it really doesn't that much (I have the reactor pretty much on full). I went with the calculated amount that Nyos recommends for my size system (200 gallons). I replace it roughly every 2 months.

Lex_510

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a Nyos Torq 1.0 G2 body, so I have Nyos carbon in the bottom 1/2 (~500ml) and Nyos Phosi-Ex in the top 1/2 (~500 ml as well). I don't use any bags as there's a mesh separator between them and a foam sponge on top. Only the Phosi-Ex has the potential to tumble, but it really doesn't that much (I have the reactor pretty much on full). I went with the calculated amount that Nyos recommends for my size system (200 gallons). I replace it roughly every 2 months.
How do you like the nyos torq compare to the reg style reactors. thinking abt getting a reactor soon

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only things in my sump are, skimmer, heater and return pump. I use Chermi blue in a basket and rotate a mesh bag for particulate material.

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 27 20.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back