Best sump features to date

gettaReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So is the container that is top left the ATO?
No the top way left is where the fresh, unused filter roll goes, which very slowly rolls into the box area (place to its right with the prong sticking our with the grey end cap) which will roll into a used filter roll (think unrolling a paper towel into another roll). Sorry, I'm having a hard time explaining

jsbull

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the water change chamber and bypass. That'll make water changes a breeze. Did you get that idea from the Vertex Supra sump?

Yes, I did. I've decided to go without it though in an effort to better automate the system. I'm now planning to use a DOS to do near constant water changes instead.

I'm also considering a "meet in the middle" sump. A Rollermat on each side and return pumps in the center. Since the tank will be 9'.

OP
OP
Mebeknob

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I did. I've decided to go without it though in an effort to better automate the system. I'm now planning to use a DOS to do near constant water changes instead.

I'm also considering a "meet in the middle" sump. A Rollermat on each side and return pumps in the center. Since the tank will be 9'.

I like both of those ideas! I'm all about automation. I'd still put that drain in the bottom though. It would be easy and could come in very handy in the future

OP
OP
Mebeknob

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
c005f638deeeb751c71214bd4234b512.jpg

Love the idea of natural filters like mangroves

OP
OP
Mebeknob

Mebeknob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasn't it shown mangroves take up quite a bit less nutrients then a macro algae? Though growing a forest of them may do it. :)

You're probably right. I just think they look better. I'm thinking chaeto in the sump and mangroves in the display!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is at 6 months and now my skimmer and all the chambers have turned into a cryptic zone. I don't want to scrap fan worms and sponges from the sump walls or skimmer. So I plan on relocating my marinepure and adding a Lifetime removable cryptic zone bin with few layers of egg crate and rock rubble. When I do decide to move in 1-2 years at least this area will have all the microfauna and sponges in tact - Not to mention I feel the cryptic zone helps prevent all these unknown problems. - Stay tune!

20170602_023010.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Better shot. The area next to the skimmer I can fit a good size container (perhaps a 5gallon ATO would work) and have the manifold feed water to the bottom and have it pour out from the top. I think my sponges rock will grow out of control in clean and bubble free water...

20170407_215221.jpg

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have a sponge refugium zone designated for only sponges in their Sump?

I was thinking adding 3 layers of egg crate with dry rock rubble epoxied to both sides of the egg crate - clean gentle water flowing upwards and over. I think this configuration will allow me to keep my sump clean and drain it out periodically without effecting the cryptic zone. Isolating the sponge refugium would allow me to add more flow the sump aswell as drain it during cleaning.

psidriven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP, sponges are filter feeders so giving them "clean" water is probably not the best idea. I did something similar but it was just a bunch of plain eggcrate in my overflow pre filter and it grew tube worms and pineapple sponges very well.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AP, sponges are filter feeders so giving them "clean" water is probably not the best idea. I did something similar but it was just a bunch of plain eggcrate in my overflow pre filter and it grew tube worms and pineapple sponges very well.

Nice.. I plan on using eggcrate and glueing rubble on both sides. I have a few fast grow sponge growing on some rock so will just seed it.
and Clean in regards to free of detritus and air bubbles

jcl123

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I was planning to start my own thread, but this is really close so I thought i'd pitch in.

I am planning to have a large basement sump for my 135G setup.

I am thinking of going with something like this:
https://aqualogicinc.com/product/pvc-tanks-and-sumps/

And since they can customize it pretty much any way you want, I am looking around and various sump designs for ideas. So I thought I would ask what people's favorites are, and here the thread already is!

I am going for function over fashion, all these acrylic sumps are great, but I think it adds expense.

This is going to be located in my garage and I live in Boston, so I am going get the option with integrated 1"-2" insulation to help with temp stability, with a cover which should also help with evaporation.

With PVC, I can glue directly to pipe and fittings, no salt creep around bulk heads or similar situations.

I plan to build a stand for it so it will be about 4' off the floor. Shelving above for all manner of equipment.

I don't plan to put much in the way of equipment in the sump, my skimmer is a lifereef that can go in or out. That being said, it will likely be on a shelf above the sump, so it would still spill into it if needed.

Here are some of my current considerations:
- Large - as big or bigger than display tank, 150+ gallons
- Needs weirs for dispersing bubbles, adjustable weirs?
- Needs the smaller chamber for pump so as not to have "too much" available in case of a problem, while allowing plenty of room for water when off
- Auto-top-off considerations
- I don't need filter socks, going to use roller mat, which could go on top of the sump, or in it's own tray and then plumbed to it
- They can put acrylic windows in them for refugium purposes, not sure if I want to do that, or just have a separate aquarium on a shelf above
- Places for probes and heaters, reactors will be external
- Place to attach return pipes, dosing pump output

Attached is my current filter diagram, so you can see a little bit of where I am going with the sump.

-JCL

aquarium filter - version 7_small.jpg

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My experience with trickle filters is that it's difficult to get any decent amount of water flow.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 39 23.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 57 34.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 49 29.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.4%
Back