OP
stewy14

stewy14

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bad case of turf algae in a 88gal and two pincusion urchins scrubbed it clean in about 4 weeks. Now I'm a bit concerned they'll turn to the good stuff but they did their job.
breed them and sell them :D make a "renting" business out of it, for 3$ a month or something

Dragen Fiend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
wc can defiantly have an affect on them if the swing is large. Sometimes its necessary though.

I have a purple pincushion in my 15 gallon. Its dropped 20+ spines once due to some high nitrates in the system. I did a 50% wc and cutback on feedings. So far its growing back and healthy again. These guys are super sensitive and in my opinion are the first thing in my tank that show signs of a problem.

I'd just ensure its not starving if water chemistry is good. Between my snails, hermits and urchin. They are out munching my algae. I've had to supplement.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This guy just died after 12 years. He was about 6" across and never knocked anything over. I think he tip toed over things. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, I have been looking for another one but for some reason, can't find one yet. :thinking-face:

yellow tang lover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best urchin is texudo urchin I had mine for a year, and he is a algae destroyer, but he doesn’t eat bubble algae.

JoJosReef

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But
Perfect Parameters
WELLL
had a water change last week that lowered everything down cuz most things spiked. As in alk, salinity and that’s all
urchins are quite sensitive to salinity swings. You'll see them start dropping spines after a parameter swing and that's the first sign they're on their way out. I did a water change with LFS water without measuring the salinity first--it was 1.038sg--and that killed it in 2 days even after noticing the problem within a few hours and quickly doing another water change to bring the salinity in the tank back. That was when I started buying my own salt.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 173 72.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.0%
Back