Best UV Sterilizer

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello

I have a 120 with a 40 gallon sump and I am looking to adding the best UV Sterilizer for my system.

I appreciate everyone's input

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the best UV is NO UV.
Ask yourself where you need a UV for?
But what do I know :)

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO the best UV is NO UV.
Ask yourself where you need a UV for?
But what do I know :)

Hi Diesel

I have read the tons of threads with the debate on pro's and con's

What's your reason or reasons?

I have a recirculating bp reactor so I would think that it wouldn't really affect my bacteria in the water column. I am interested on the work it does in zapping algae spores, improved water clarity and sterilizing any other nasties in the water column.

I read more upside to it or is it all a scam?

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can be efficient in removing certain types of film algae. not so efficient at removing parasites and such. not enough contact with the water.

Hi Diesel

I have read the tons of threads with the debate on pro's and con's

What's your reason or reasons?

I have a recirculating bp reactor so I would think that it wouldn't really affect my bacteria in the water column. I am interested on the work it does in zapping algae spores, improved water clarity and sterilizing any other nasties in the water column.

I read more upside to it or is it all a scam?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The UV is only effective as parasites, bacteria or algae spores and algae passing the light in a slow enough flow.
It will kill all that but it won't kill bacteria, algae or anything that is stuck to rock, pipes, sand and glass and what not more.
Some ppl believe in it, I have ran almost every UV you can imagine on salt water but with no or little effect.
Now fresh water is a different story.
I would say just try it and get back on this topic in a few months with your results.

OP
OP
Orly20

Orly20

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking into it now, i appreciate the feedback and I'll post back results if I choose to get one.

Any brand other then Aqua UV you'd recommend for an approximate water volume of 140? 25watt or higher?

Thank you

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Aqua UV is a good brand but bad customer service in order to replace parts.
Go with a swipe if you have to possibility.

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to like emperor until they got bought out by pentax, now I recommend aqua uv. the wiper is a gimmick and just one more point of failure to deal with.

I'm looking into it now, i appreciate the feedback and I'll post back results if I choose to get one.

Any brand other then Aqua UV you'd recommend for an approximate water volume of 140? 25watt or higher?

Thank you

cromag27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
25w would be min, but larger if you can afford it. keep in mind you may find its not benefiting your tank and end up selling it. this is one piece of equipment I'd recommend buying used.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only two I would consider is Emperor Aquatics or AquaUV.
AquaUV is what I chose for better parts availability since they are here in the USA.
Emperor has since been bought by Pentair so parts availability may be better now.
As far as wattage, you need to go by the manufacturer recommendation. AquaUV is very good at spelling this out for you and distinguishing between fish only and reef tanks.

Mr. Brooks

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I installed an aqua uv on my system to be used mainly as a clarifier and I couldn't be happier. I was a skeptic and now I'm a believer. I'll never run a tank without one for as long as I live. Crystal clear water for the win!

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first set up my current system I was battling algae blooms (green water). Put a Danner pondmaster 20w UV on my manifold. Cleared my water in two days. It's been sitting in a box since.

They work, but I just don't need it.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is great for algae containment and bacterial infection fish get not so good with ick but you can go online and get a 55 watt model for about 80 . I have one I have had for 2 years works great and replacement bulbs are cheap aroun 15 . It is a Chinese model I think jebo

NautilusQ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bivisen
Submersible T5 UV Sterilizer Lamp For Filter Tank Filter Groove of Fish Aquarium,IP68 Waterproof Quartz Glass+Rubber Underwater Pond Aquarium Fish Tank UVC Light

Amazon. I bought 2. One for overflow one for sump.

Robert Vacchiano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was a total wast of money also until a frientold me to try it for a green algae problem in a 300 gallon reef tank .Nitrate and phosphate were at 0 yet algae keep on coming back after I removed it went on for months until I set up a 55 watt uv and it is now gone it was into corals and rock. After a week the algae was gone from all the corals it was on

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 44 47.3%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 22 23.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.5%
Back