Best Vitamins

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,

Picked up Sera Fishtamin last year from my LFS and running low. Before I restock, just curious what everyone else uses and their reasoning. I have no complaints about the Sera, but always looking to learn from others.

Ed

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m inclined to think vitamins = boondoggle. I used to use them religiously, now I don’t. Guess what, no difference. Feed quality and variety and the fish will get what they need.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, Ed

Never used vitamins:
For fish food, Staying put with LRS Reef Frenzy and nori.

Thank you, GoVols! I actually use LRS Herbivore Frenzy and their nori. I know LRS uses probiotics, but I usually add a few drops when thawing their morning meal. Can't say enough good things about my experience with LRS.

PS - hoping Danny White helps get the football program on track, been way too long!

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m inclined to think vitamins = boondoggle. I used to use them religiously, now I don’t. Guess what, no difference. Feed quality and variety and the fish will get what they need.
Thank you, ca1ore and Jekyl! I was wondering the same, as I feed LRS Herbivore Frenzy (as well as their nori). Maybe I'll run a month or 2 without dosing and observe. I think everyone brings up a good point, if you're spending good $ on quality frozen, it's probably not necessary.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every weekend I'll give my fish some freeze dried mysis shrimp soaked in selcon or vitamin-m (Brightwell.) I think of this a lot like my dog's food. I have no doubt that I buy a good enough premium food I shouldn't have to feed my dog anything extra, Even raised a dog on it completely through his 13-year life with no issues.

But about a year and a half ago I decided to add an additional supplement powder to the food for my 6-year-old dog and my new puppy. The additional enzymes and amino acids absolutely had an effect. it was very easy in the case of my dogs to see that their fur had completely changed over a number of months taking the supplement along with other things I'm sure I couldn't see.

I imagine it's the same situation with the fish, I'm not solely focused on how they look but rather are they operating at their best so I feed them extra vitamins because of this.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every weekend I'll give my fish some freeze dried brine shrimp soaked in selcon or vitamin-m (Brightwell.) I think of this a lot like my dog's food. I have no doubt that I buy a good enough premium food I shouldn't have to feed my dog anything extra, Even raised a dog on it completely through his 13-year life with no issues.

But about a year and a half ago I decided to add an additional supplement powder to the food for my 6-year-old dog and my new puppy. The additional enzymes and amino acids absolutely had an effect. it was very easy in the case of my dogs to see that their fur had completely changed over a number of months taking the supplement along with other things I'm sure I couldn't see.

I imagine it's the same situation with the fish, I'm not solely focused on how they look but rather are they operating at their best so I feed them extra vitamins because of this.
Thank you, josephxsxn! That was the same rationale I was using the "can't hurt" approach, as we also give our dog supplements, as recommended by the breeder. Interestingly enough, my father buys expensive dogs but never supplements for them, seems like cheap insurance to me!

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, dvgyfresh! I was looking at that as well. Seems like a little goes a long way with Selcon and any time you can find something economical-that works-in this hobby, I'm in LOL.
Lol it sure does, I started using it because I had a tang with ich and a fish with flukes , it helped both my fish beat the disease and get fat / brighter so I don’t have any reason to stop supplement

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol it sure does, I started using it because I had a tang with ich and a fish with flukes , it helped both my fish beat the disease and get fat / brighter so I don’t have any reason to stop supplement
Great to know, I think I am going to give Selcon a try next. If nothing else it'll give me a basis for comparison from the Sera.

kenchilada

Palytoxin Abuser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think vitamins are great in quarantine tanks where I feed mostly pellets. I use Selcon and also beta glucan. I don’t use them as much in my display.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think vitamins are great in quarantine tanks where I feed mostly pellets. I use Selcon and also beta glucan. I don’t use them as much in my display.
Thank you, kenchilada! Any reason you don't add to the feedings for the DT? I've read it does temporarily cloud the water.

OP
OP
ehealy13

ehealy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has never clouded the water for me, granted I only use about 6 drops per cube of mysis
Even better! I usually grab some tank water, add the vitamins, then the LRS and let it sit for about 1/2 hour before adding the mix to the tank. Do you use a similar approach?

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even better! I usually grab some tank water, add the vitamins, then the LRS and let it sit for about 1/2 hour before adding the mix to the tank. Do you use a similar approach?
Kinda , I thaw out the mysis cube , use a pipette to take out the excess water and then drop the selcon in and let sit for 5-10 minutes to soak then just throw it in tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 92 80.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back