• Thank you for visiting the R2R Marketplace! Please consider becoming a Supporting Member today! In addition to all the perks of becoming a supporting member, this notice will also be automatically removed! Click here for more details and Happy Reefing!

Beware of Fraud -

Item Price
Selling Terms Of Service
  1. YES I have read the terms and agree to them
Shipping
YES shipping is available

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Folks , who rely on backup or otherwise some equipment purchases on this forum.

My intent here is not to provide this as an opinion but certain things that I do to avoid fraud. Please do contribute to expand and help save our marketplace and forum for a better experience.

Secondly I have never had a bad experience(where i lost money or had to go through a fraud report on venmo or paypal) and vast majority of the people here are honest and prompt. However i did have approaches from few times where I had to call off the deal (may be hyper paranoia) but better be safe than sorry and it was also a matter of whether i want to risk that amount of $ or not.

Thirdly - if you posted and i spoke to you but decided to not buy - its not because i suspected fraud but mostly because the design was changed and i made it work with what i have.

Here are the few tips

1) Most importantly - MOST REEFERS are honest and helpful -
2) If you are buying something from the forum - It most likely is legitimate - but just to be sure to check their profiles - You require at least 25 posts (if i remember correctly) and replies before you can post in market place
3) All the time when i suspected fraud - adjacent (based on replies that didnt give me comfort) - Was in response to my WTB ads , here is the characteristics what i saw
--> The response was a PM
--> the response and details were obscured in the name of privacy
--> THe pictures quick search on Google lens allowed me to refer to some different website
--> In one instance the model pictured was european plug
--> Price was too good to be true
--> Length of account was barely few weeks
--> Mostly was shipping only

Now one of these could be a pass - but when all of these are present - well it compounds.

All i am saying here is just a few bad apples can make us cringe on so far free flowing market place that I love.

Few tips for legit reefers -

-- Please do participate in the forum and not just market place - this gives all of us (who personally may not know you ) a good understanding of your reef as well as builds a personal report where we all feel safe.

_AV

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound advice, nice post!

Several times on another forum when I post a WTB I'll get a reply from a user that signed up like minutes ago, and then they say that their friend has what I'm looking for, here's their email, send them money.

I would second this point: be on the lookout for how long someone has been a member of the forum, and only deal with those people that are obviously here for their aquariums, and not someone who just joined just to sell you something.

I've never personally had a problem here or elsewhere dealing with genuine forum members, and I've purchased a fair amount of used gear now. But be aware that scammers definitely exist!

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sound advice, nice post!

Several times on another forum when I post a WTB I'll get a reply from a user that signed up like minutes ago, and then they say that their friend has what I'm looking for, here's their email, send them money.

I would second this point: be on the lookout for how long someone has been a member of the forum, and only deal with those people that are obviously here for their aquariums, and not someone who just joined just to sell you something.

I've never personally had a problem here or elsewhere dealing with genuine forum members, and I've purchased a fair amount of used gear now. But be aware that scammers definitely exist!
Oh Yeah that happened to me once when i was trying to replace the feet of my vortex. They PM;d me to message a phone number which i did - and literally it became a harassment at some point where i was recieving messages at 11:00 PM in the night asking why i am not buying the stuff which was left behind by her now dead husband. As a human i have full sympathy if that is true, but I just wasnt comfortable in sending money / or do business with someone so stressed that i do not know or no way to verify.

QQ - Is there a way to report such users so atleast there is a way to keep an eye without calling them out ? Not sure i have a thought in mind but just curious.

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Happen to me, had someone thoroughly insisting that I paid through venmo ensuring me that it be protected. Wanted me to pay to multiple accounts. Finally convince them to accept through PayPal (I don't even think it was their account or they didn't have access to it) ended up paying double the agreed price and it took two weeks of disputes to get the money back. All of the above is good advice.

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Also does anyone get emails that seem like they came from Reef to Reef from someone suggesting another member who has the item you're looking for on a WTB and provides you with a phone number or email address, but when you click the link to the p.m. they sent you get a page that doesn't exist? This happens to me fairly often.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also does anyone get emails that seem like they came from Reef to Reef from someone suggesting another member who has the item you're looking for on a WTB and provides you with a phone number or email address, but when you click the link to the p.m. they sent you get a page that doesn't exist? This happens to me fairly often.

Well please be careful - One problem which is very real is - Malwares and what may seem like an empty page may end up doing something nasty to your computer.

EVen worse than bad payment.

Overboard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So sad, but very true. I fortunately dodged one of these attempts recently (not on this board). Went down pretty much as you guys have described.

I have purchased many items off boards over the years, both livestock and equipment, with no problems. I will still buy via the boards but will be much more careful about the person on the other side.

Keep reefing!!!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I have and report these to @revhtree

jose hernandez

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
most of us do know the difference but some don’t I’ve posted in the wanted to buy forums I’ve been contacted suggesting to buy from some person a email never responded back just like in Mahattan reefs this happens here as we’ll anyone trying to buy should never pay with anything but PayPal using goods and services only

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 47 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 57 32.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.6%
Back