Beware of Vinegar - The Pump Killer

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask???? Has anyone tried these powerheads??? My local fish store owner recommends them and they are much cheaper than MP40. We have 2 MP40s in 300 gal reef and then two of these large H20 pros in the same tank. Not cordless but work very well. We also have 4 of them in our 300g, 8’ fish only tank. So far work well! Any other users??? We have had very bad luck with gyres and icecaps. Also have an Mp40 that stopped working last night and we soaked in vinegar over night last night and my husband just cleaned it while I was reading this! We will order citric acid. Thanks for sharing!

RtomKinMad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask???? Has anyone tried these powerheads??? My local fish store owner recommends them and they are much cheaper than MP40. We have 2 MP40s in 300 gal reef and then two of these large H20 pros in the same tank. Not cordless but work very well. We also have 4 of them in our 300g, 8’ fish only tank. So far work well! Any other users??? We have had very bad luck with gyres and icecaps. Also have an Mp40 that stopped working last night and we soaked in vinegar over night last night and my husband just cleaned it while I was reading this! We will order citric acid. Thanks for sharing!
Here is the picture I forgot to add of the pumps I was talking about...

6D4F9F36-B3B5-4ADC-B6B1-EDF517340F55.jpeg B16F1CB5-A1C8-442E-8ADC-7E34381163E7.jpeg

gobeach

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up, I had an MP40 wetside ‘stall’ on my. I never saw the swelled magnet but it did stop turning. I do soak the wet sides in vinegar - sometimes the entire wetside so I can pull it apart. My coralline will grow over it sometimes so much that I have to soak them before pulling apart.

The customer service on the failed pump was great - clearly out of warranty range but they sent me a new pump no question asked. Can’t beat that type of service.

PeterG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted bits and piece of my vinegar story over the past three years, and I thought it would be beneficial if one post contained all that I've learn. You'll be surprised! This story will contain three parts; my history with vinegar, the cause and simplified chemistry what's happening; and the solution to cleaning your pumps without fear of swelling magnets.

MY STORY

I've been using MP's for many years, and as a good boy, cleaned the wetsides in vinegar (aka, acetic acid) to make them look good and function correctly. I had a very simple way of doing this by immersing the entire wetside in straight vinegar over night and then rinsing and putting back into service.

Cleaning MP40 in Container.jpg

If anyone is interested, this small plastic container that perfectly fits an MP40 wetside is a one pint talenti ice cream (gelato) container....an overpriced ice cream my wife enjoys....too many times!
Talenti.jpg

About three and a half years ago I found one of my MP40 wetsides slowly spinning. To be crystal clear, the entire wetside...cage and all, was spinning. When I pulled it out I found the magnet had swelled and was binding to the body of the powerhead, causing the entire thing to spin.

1567041664548.png

I wasn't a happy camper, but over the next couple months, two more were found with swollen magnets (plastic case either swollen and/or cracked), and now also not functioning.

1567041726890.png

1567041764829.png

Now this isn't just an MP thing. In retrospect, I had four Koralia Evolution powerheads before switching over to MP's. All four were dead in the water within a year of purchasing new. Two with obvious swollen magnetic portions of the impeller shaft, and two that I couldn't even get the impellers out of the body of the powerhead because they were swollen and stuck within the body. Note that these powerheads were also regularly cleaned in vinegar.

So I have a confession...."Bless me Father for I have sinned"....my wife didn't know what I paid for all the MP's I have...and now I need to go out and drop another $225 for three wetsides. I wasn't happy!!! Note, if I die, my wife will be selling MP40's for about $20 - $25, half of what I supposedly paid.

To finish this story, I later had three MP10's do the same thing. My wife will be selling these for $15 - $20 a piece. Now I know, with six MP's with new wetsides, you're all waiting for me to die!

WHY IMPLICATE VINEGAR

So I was puzzled why my overpriced MP's crapped out, and about six months after loosing my first MP, I came across a post by @Randy Holmes-Farley in which he posted:

"I think the effect on plastic may be worse with vinegar than muriatic acid but it may depend on the plastic.

Vinegar can be in the form of acetic acid and that neutral molecule can enter plastic. Diluted muriatic acid won't have any neutral acidic molecules in it to enter plastic, so just exposes the outermost leading edge of plastic. So while the muriatic acid after dilution is a much stronger acid, i would not assume it is worse on plastics."

This made perfect sense! To clarify, charged molecules won't penetrate plastic, but neutral small molecules will. I will repeat that saying it differently....ionic molecules will react at the surface while small neutral molecules will potentially penetrate that material.

If we look at acids in aqueous solution, they dissociate into ions, which is commonly shown as:

HA(aq) + H2O(l) ⇌ H3O+(aq) + A−(aq)

where HA is the acid. Note that the left side is "neutral" while the right side of the reaction contains "charged" molecules (ions). Specifically, for acetic acid (vinegar), this dissocation looks like this:

CH3COOH + H20 ⇌ H3O+ + CH3COO-

Now here's the kicker....some acids dissociate easily and readily while others dissociate very poorly. In the case of acetic acid, it dissociates very poorly, with the majority still in the neutral CH3COOH configuration. To repeat what I said above, charged ions do not penetrate, while small neutral molecules can.

So what is happening when you clean your parts in vinegar, is that it being neutral, has the abililty to penetrate the plastic and, if within the plastic is metal, cause it to oxidize (rust), and swell. Now this doesn't happen over night, or by one cleaning, but happens over time....months, maybe years, but it will happen. In addition, the type of plastic could impact how quickly (or slowly) the acid penetrates.

Don't get me wrong, vinegar is still great for cleaning tanks and pure plastic parts, but I'd avoid it with metal parts encased in plastic (impellers and pumps.) If the cages alone need to be cleaned of coraline, I'd still consider cages only to be soaked in vinegar. But plastic encased magnets...NO, NO, NO!

IF I CAN'T USE VINEGAR, WHAT AM I TO DO

So what can you use to clean your powerheads and pumps that won't potentially cause the magnets to rust and swell and ruin your pumps? We need to find acids that dissociate completely and/or are too large to penetrate the plastic.

Well there just happens to be two readily available acids available that are reasonably price, and in my opinion, with one, clean better (faster) than vinegar. These two acids are Muriatic Acid and Citric Acid.

Muriatic acid (dilute hydrochloric acid) is available at HD and pool stores (and I'm sure other places as well.) One note with muriatic acid, it is hydrochloric acid and needs to be handled with care. It will burn you, cause for holes in your cloths, and is dangerous. So wear rubber gloves, eye protection and be careful.

For cleaning tank parts, I'd recommend dilution 1 to 10. Even at this dilution, it will clean pumps and whatever, much faster than vinegar. You'll actually see the calcification fizz off the equipment.

The other acid that is pump safe is citric acid. You can find five pounds on ebay for a reasonable amount of money....a life time supply. Here you want to dilute about 1 cup to a gallon of water. Throw your pumps into this solution and allow to sit over night and you should find a cleaned pump

CONCLUSION

Vinegar, being a neutral acid, will penetrate plastics. If metal is encased in this plastic, it will find it's way and cause that metal to rust and swell. To avoid this, use other acids, such as muriatic acid or citratic acid to clean your pumps...and have them last forever!
Thanks for the tips. Great Write up.
I’ve been soaking my Tunze pumps in 50/50 vinegar + RO water overnight with no issues (so far). But will be switching to citric acid to be on the safe side.
More importantly, thanks for validating my obsession to save all those Talenti pints jars sitting in my garage.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have posted bits and piece of my vinegar story over the past three years, and I thought it would be beneficial if one post contained all that I've learn. You'll be surprised! This story will contain three parts; my history with vinegar, the cause and simplified chemistry what's happening; and the solution to cleaning your pumps without fear of swelling magnets.

MY STORY

I've been using MP's for many years, and as a good boy, cleaned the wetsides in vinegar (aka, acetic acid) to make them look good and function correctly. I had a very simple way of doing this by immersing the entire wetside in straight vinegar over night and then rinsing and putting back into service.

If anyone is interested, this small plastic container that perfectly fits an MP40 wetside is a one pint talenti ice cream (gelato) container....an overpriced ice cream my wife enjoys....too many times!
Talenti.jpg

About three and a half years ago I found one of my MP40 wetsides slowly spinning. To be crystal clear, the entire wetside...cage and all, was spinning. When I pulled it out I found the magnet had swelled and was binding to the body of the powerhead, causing the entire thing to spin.

1567041664548.png

I wasn't a happy camper, but over the next couple months, two more were found with swollen magnets (plastic case either swollen and/or cracked), and now also not functioning.

1567041726890.png

1567041764829.png

Now this isn't just an MP thing. In retrospect, I had four Koralia Evolution powerheads before switching over to MP's. All four were dead in the water within a year of purchasing new. Two with obvious swollen magnetic portions of the impeller shaft, and two that I couldn't even get the impellers out of the body of the powerhead because they were swollen and stuck within the body. Note that these powerheads were also regularly cleaned in vinegar.

So I have a confession...."Bless me Father for I have sinned"....my wife didn't know what I paid for all the MP's I have...and now I need to go out and drop another $225 for three wetsides. I wasn't happy!!! Note, if I die, my wife will be selling MP40's for about $20 - $25, half of what I supposedly paid.

To finish this story, I later had three MP10's do the same thing. My wife will be selling these for $15 - $20 a piece. Now I know, with six MP's with new wetsides, you're all waiting for me to die!

WHY IMPLICATE VINEGAR

So I was puzzled why my overpriced MP's crapped out, and about six months after loosing my first MP, I came across a post by @Randy Holmes-Farley in which he posted:

"I think the effect on plastic may be worse with vinegar than muriatic acid but it may depend on the plastic.

Vinegar can be in the form of acetic acid and that neutral molecule can enter plastic. Diluted muriatic acid won't have any neutral acidic molecules in it to enter plastic, so just exposes the outermost leading edge of plastic. So while the muriatic acid after dilution is a much stronger acid, i would not assume it is worse on plastics."

This made perfect sense! To clarify, charged molecules won't penetrate plastic, but neutral small molecules will. I will repeat that saying it differently....ionic molecules will react at the surface while small neutral molecules will potentially penetrate that material.

If we look at acids in aqueous solution, they dissociate into ions, which is commonly shown as:

where HA is the acid. Note that the left side is "neutral" while the right side of the reaction contains "charged" molecules (ions). Specifically, for acetic acid (vinegar), this dissocation looks like this:

Now here's the kicker....some acids dissociate easily and readily while others dissociate very poorly. In the case of acetic acid, it dissociates very poorly, with the majority still in the neutral CH3COOH configuration. To repeat what I said above, charged ions do not penetrate, while small neutral molecules can.

So what is happening when you clean your parts in vinegar, is that it being neutral, has the abililty to penetrate the plastic and, if within the plastic is metal, cause it to oxidize (rust), and swell. Now this doesn't happen over night, or by one cleaning, but happens over time....months, maybe years, but it will happen. In addition, the type of plastic could impact how quickly (or slowly) the acid penetrates.

Don't get me wrong, vinegar is still great for cleaning tanks and pure plastic parts, but I'd avoid it with metal parts encased in plastic (impellers and pumps.) If the cages alone need to be cleaned of coraline, I'd still consider cages only to be soaked in vinegar. But plastic encased magnets...NO, NO, NO!

So what can you use to clean your powerheads and pumps that won't potentially cause the magnets to rust and swell and ruin your pumps? We need to find acids that dissociate completely and/or are too large to penetrate the plastic.

Well there just happens to be two readily available acids available that are reasonably price, and in my opinion, with one, clean better (faster) than vinegar. These two acids are Muriatic Acid and Citric Acid.

Muriatic acid (dilute hydrochloric acid) is available at HD and pool stores (and I'm sure other places as well.) One note with muriatic acid, it is hydrochloric acid and needs to be handled with care. It will burn you, cause for holes in your cloths, and is dangerous. So wear rubber gloves, eye protection and be careful.

For cleaning tank parts, I'd recommend dilution 1 to 10. Even at this dilution, it will clean pumps and whatever, much faster than vinegar. You'll actually see the calcification fizz off the equipment.

The other acid that is pump safe is citric acid. You can find five pounds on ebay for a reasonable amount of money....a life time supply. Here you want to dilute about 1 cup to a gallon of water. Throw your pumps into this solution and allow to sit over night and you should find a cleaned pump

CONCLUSION

Vinegar, being a neutral acid, will penetrate plastics. If metal is encased in this plastic, it will find it's way and cause that metal to rust and swell. To avoid this, use other acids, such as muriatic acid or citratic acid to clean your pumps...and have them last forever!

Citric acid is also a weak organic acid like acetic acid. It is a larger molecule so I would expect it to take longer to “dissolve” its way into plastic.

sghera64

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used Lime-Away. It’s safer on skin and clothes than HCl.

Has anyone tried seltzer water (carbonic acid) or pop/soda/coke/7-up/Moitain Dew? The pH of these dissolves coral skeletons in our calcium reactors and dentists complain that some of these dissolve human teeth. An oversight soak might be all that is needed in these.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MY STORY

Talenti.jpg

1567041664548.png

1567041726890.png

1567041764829.png

WHY IMPLICATE VINEGAR

CONCLUSION

A good theory but how do you explain the MP40’s that swell up for those of us that don’t soak in vinegar?

OP
OP
redfishbluefish

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A good theory but how do you explain the MP40’s that swell up for those of us that don’t soak in vinegar?

You've raised an excellent point. My story is just that, a story.....a theory....speculation...albeit a plausible theory, but it might not necessarily be the case. The other possibility is that the plastic seams simply fail on their own (poor quality seal) allowing saltwater to rust and swell the magnet. It sure sounds like that's "your story." That is just as likely. Can't argue with you on that. Also realize my wetsides were very old. However, it seems like I've been hearing more and more about newly purchased wetsides with swelling magnets and now wonder if quality of the plastic case is the real problem....and quality has dropped some from the older magnets???

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You've raised an excellent point. My story is just that, a story.....a theory....speculation...albeit a plausible theory, but it might not necessarily be the case. The other possibility is that the plastic seams simply fail on their own (poor quality seal) allowing saltwater to rust and swell the magnet. It sure sounds like that's "your story." That is just as likely. Can't argue with you on that. Also realize my wetsides were very old. However, it seems like I've been hearing more and more about newly purchased wetsides with swelling magnets and now wonder if quality of the plastic case is the real problem....and quality has dropped some from the older magnets???
Eco tech seem to have recognised it somewhat and now exchange “damaged “ wet sides in the UK FOC, but we have different consumer laws so not sure what happens in the US

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!

Complete anecdotal evidence but I’ve had similar experiences in the past.

Several years ago I made the switch to Muriatic acid. I mix it quite strong and the pumps only spend a few minutes in the solution.

It works faster and better than that I’ve had zero swelling . Just make sure to rinse well.

Sisterlimonpot

Effortless Perfection
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great write up!

Complete anecdotal evidence but I’ve had similar experiences in the past.

Several years ago I made the switch to Muriatic acid. I mix it quite strong and the pumps only spend a few minutes in the solution.

It works faster and better than that I’ve had zero swelling . Just make sure to rinse well.
Curious as to what pumps you clean with the acid?

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious as to what pumps you clean with the acid?

I’ve used it on Maxspect Gyre’s, Jebao powerheads, Danner Mag Drives, IceCap 1 and 3k pumps, Maxi Jet pumps, Sedra Pumps, Aqua Bee pumps, Jebao Return Pumps.... I think that’s about it

TinyTinCans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is an awesome write up. I always just cleaned mine religiously with soap and water with a lot of rinsing. But I’m definitely buying som citric acid now thank you. This is why I love Reef2Reef.

This sounds like a great idea for a BRStv investigates. I wish there was someway of suggesting it.

AZMSGT

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lets look at this from a mechanical perspective. Also let me preface by saying I didn't dissect my MP40 wetside. However there are certain assumptions that can be made.
1. The propshaft has to get sealed between the magnet section and the prop side.
2. Those seals would wear do to the shaft spinning non-stop over a year or two.
3. Depending on the material of those seals cleaners and acids can do more harm to them. Any soaking would degrade these seals further.

Before I installed my new MP40s in my tank I looked at the wetside of the pump. The cage is easily removed from the base. The cage part would be an easy item to clean with whatever a person wanted to use.

However when you remove the cage from the wetside there is an O-ring between the cage and base. Also the prop rides on a Stainless steel shaft. I'm pretty certain over a short time the acid would eat these parts. I didn't take them apart any further. But I am certain Muriatic acid is a no go on these due to the metal shaft and O-ring.

I for one would clean the cage separate from the base. The base section I would take greater care with because of shaft seals. I would also inspect it for signs of wear.

I also tend to thing of the wetside as a time replacement item. When something runs all the time 24-7 it's going to wear out. Unfortunatly the seals will fail before anything else and then cause the magnet and everything else to fail afterwards.

Last edited:

ReefPiracy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Noticed this as well when first started to soak equipment in vinegar. Now just soak in hot water and use a tooth brush. May put a splash of vinegar but never soak with strong vinegar any more. What if you used say 10% vinegar to water does this help cut back any possible side effect? Thanks for the info and spreading it in the community.

AltitudeAquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

MY STORY

Talenti.jpg

1567041664548.png

1567041726890.png

1567041764829.png

WHY IMPLICATE VINEGAR

CONCLUSION

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 66 45.8%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 46 31.9%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 21 14.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 9 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.4%
Back