OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was born and breed on RC.....and I can't remember why....probably because it was what the LFS was pushing at the time. I used this for a number of years, collecting many plastic 5 gallon buckets, while I learned about saltwater aquariums, dosing, testing and water parameters. In the mean time, I became discouraged about the deposits in the mixing bucket and the ups and downs of parameters within the tank.

As I became educated, I eventually came to the conclusion that all I want on a water change is ocean water.....ca 400 calcium, 7 dKH, and 1300 magnesium. What was closest to this that was inexpensive and readily available was plain old Instant Ocean. 200 gallon boxes came out and that is what I use now.....no more plastic buckets.

I live next to the ocean, albeit in New Jersey, and a stones throw from NYC, but I've now been kicking around the idea of collecting ocean water for water changes. Just need to figure out current levels and the logistics of collecting this water.
Good comparison. I know quite a few people are using IO and just maintaining the dosing. So far I think the biggest factor most of us are looking for in any salt is consistency. We can adjust for most other things, but inconsistency means changing other routines to accommodate. My only concern with using ocean water off of most any of our coasts is going to be pollution. I would think it would need to be collected from pretty far out or at least tested for uncommon parameters to avoid things like toxins and heavy metals.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started out using Reef Crystals but changed due to the deposits in the mixing container and the fact that it would precipitate if I left it too long with the power head running. I went to HW Marine Reefer . I loved the way it mixed....very clean and dissolved very fast. I ended up changing because the alkalinity was much higher than what I maintained my tank and I would get a small alkalinity spike with every water change.

I looked around and realized plain old Instant Ocean most closely matched my tank parameters. The only thing it's off on is Magnesium which just requires a dosing with each water change. My tank has done well after the change.

radar_17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through several "salt" threads over the years, and one that never seems to get mentioned is Seachem's Reef salt. I've used it for years (simply because I've had such good luck with their products in general), and am happy with it. I've never measured the parameters on a newly mixed bucket of it, but never really saw the need to as it never caused any problems during water changes or caused any abnormal readings in my tank after a water change. I'd take parameters on a fresh batch of it for this thread, except I don't have any at the moment! I'm using Reef Crystals for now (got a great deal on them or wouldn't have switched) which seem to be working fine as well. Will probably go back to Seachem once this batch is gone though. Would be curious as to any other peoples' experiences with Seachem Reef Salt. Thanks.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read through several "salt" threads over the years, and one that never seems to get mentioned is Seachem's Reef salt. I've used it for years (simply because I've had such good luck with their products in general), and am happy with it. I've never measured the parameters on a newly mixed bucket of it, but never really saw the need to as it never caused any problems during water changes or caused any abnormal readings in my tank after a water change. I'd take parameters on a fresh batch of it for this thread, except I don't have any at the moment! I'm using Reef Crystals for now (got a great deal on them or wouldn't have switched) which seem to be working fine as well. Will probably go back to Seachem once this batch is gone though. Would be curious as to any other peoples' experiences with Seachem Reef Salt. Thanks.
I love Seachem as a company too.
I've came very close to trying their "Reef Salt" but never pulled the trigger.
I did have a lot of success using their "Salinity Salt" but I want to premix and store. If you don't use "Salinity" quickly after mixing the alk drops. (Seachem even states this)

One of my friends in Cali. was on the AF thread that I posted earlier. He has gave me great feedback on the Fritz RPM and after the "RPM thread on R2R" with all the other users backing up what he's been telling me.

Well, RPM will be my next salt mix purchase and hope it will be my long term salt mix.

I'm with mdbannister, I want a long term consistent Reef Salt parameter salt mix :)

Rob Lion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi @mcarroll , great questions and more than happy to answer.

RSCP salt is 12.2 dkH , but their core care programme (that I WAS following) stated 12.6dkH for max coral growth so I dosed Alk to achieve this.
rcp.PNG

whenever you have alk and Ca you get precipitation, Ca and CO3 love eachother, its only the chaperone Mg that gets in their way, add a little heat..... Mg not in as high proportion as the CO3 and Ca, add and little soft light and music ... they soon get together :)

My RODI water is always ready for me, at room temp... about 21 oC in a fairly well sealed clean still container, so little gas exchange. I've never measured my freshly made salt mix pH, but it would rise once within the tank due to aeration from movement and skimmer. My ph is always 8.35 day (max at 7pm) and 8.26 at Night (low at 7pm).

Precipitation was mainly on heater and pump internals, and at the water line of the tank. I had some white dust power within my substrate that I would syphon out, not sure if that was precipitation or general detritus.

I've never had mass-precipitation, where the water is cloudy.

In following the RSRCP, as well as using their salt, and parts A, B and C (Ca, Alk, Mg) dosing, I dosed NOPOX (carbon) and their Reef energy A and B. All of this allowed me to get a stable system, Nitrates 0.2, Phosphates 0.015. I found over time, that as my tank progressed, I could do away with the NOPOX as nutrient exess was taken up by weekly 6% water changes, chaeto in refugium, coral growth.

As stated above I use 3 part, never tried a Ca reactor, with only a 250L DT the additives needed are relatively small. My tank consumes 10ppm Ca a day and 0.7 dkH a day.

I've never seen a salt mix that wasn't intensely hygroscopic.

Doesn't the salt clump like crazy in those paper bags? If not how do you keep the humidity out?

The salt is in paper bags for that reason, to absorb any moisture... but more importantly I place the bags back in the original salt bucket and close the lid, to its really at the same conditions as when I buy it. I have never found it to clump etc whatsoever..... to use the salt, i just tear off a small corner of the paper bag so the salt flows into my water mixing container, directly onto the 1000L / hour pumps I have running in their (along with a 50watt heater). The salt mixes completely and is at temp in an hour... its only 15L so not much to mix. I know its ready when the SG is 1.026.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was born and breed on RC.....and I can't remember why....probably because it was what the LFS was pushing at the time. I used this for a number of years, collecting many plastic 5 gallon buckets, while I learned about saltwater aquariums, dosing, testing and water parameters. In the mean time, I became discouraged about the deposits in the mixing bucket and the ups and downs of parameters within the tank.

As I became educated, I eventually came to the conclusion that all I want on a water change is ocean water.....ca 400 calcium, 7 dKH, and 1300 magnesium. What was closest to this that was inexpensive and readily available was plain old Instant Ocean. 200 gallon boxes came out and that is what I use now.....no more plastic buckets.

I live next to the ocean, albeit in New Jersey, and a stones throw from NYC, but I've now been kicking around the idea of collecting ocean water for water changes. Just need to figure out current levels and the logistics of collecting this water.
LOL
Years ago, I saw a reefer complaing about that build up and posted picture's like that to RH-F.
Randy's reply back to the poster: Better in your brute mixing container than in your display tank :)

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL
Years ago, I saw a reefer complaing about that build up and posted picture's like that to RH-F.
Randy's reply back to the poster: Better in your brute mixing container than in your display tank :)

And the thing is that if you didn't clean your mixing container frequently enough, it would start to flake, and you'd get a snow-globe effect of these flakes spinning about in the container.

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And the thing is that if you didn't clean your mixing container frequently enough, it would start to flake, and you'd get a snow-globe effect of these flakes spinning about in the container.

Yay snowglobes!!!

Rick.45cal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They put that stuff in a bottle and sell it now!

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have used a few salts over the years.

Started with Oceanic back in 2006 and had good* success. *Brand new tank and brand new reefer. Easy corals and everything lived. Couldn't ask for more.
Then at the advice of a LFS I switched to Reef Crystals. What a mess! Never again will I touch that crap. Both my tanks fought cyano and hair algae. It took me months to find that cause. I never thought it was the salt. So I switched to H2Ocean salt and my tanks cleaned up in less than a month. Both thrived with that salt. Not sure why I switched but I went to ESV's salt mix. Super clean mixing. Super consistent parameters as well. Tanks always seemed to like it. Then I got out of the hobby.

Now that I am building another system, I have decided to use RPM. Bucket is sitting here waiting to be used!

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I used to use instant ocean reef crystals. Till I read a few reefers found metal pieces in the tub. Ever since switching over to Fritz rpm . My corals have been enjoying the change. Seems to mix better than IO. Cost wise pretty close
I'm curious about the cost comparison statement. RPM seems to be quite a bit more costly than IO or RC. I'm seeing 200g boxes of IO for around $40-$45, RC for $50-$55, and RPM (205g box) at $87. I'm understanding the quality is possibly (probably) worth the extra, but it doesn't seem cost would be considered to be close (at least in the way I would compare costs). Is RPM available at a lower price than I'm finding? The price I'm quoting is from amazon.

johntdaballa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When PetSmart had a huge price mistake or sale on reef crystals I stocked up with 10 buckets. I'm down to 1 now after selling it. I bought a bucket for $20 each. My Asian side comes out when I see a awesome deal and start hording. But anywho Fritz rpm at the LFS are selling a box for $50. Maybe the prices a lower with it being produced in Dallas.

OP
OP
Daniel@R2R

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
When PetSmart had a huge price mistake or sale on reef crystals I stocked up with 10 buckets. I'm down to 1 now after selling it. I bought a bucket for $20 each. My Asian side comes out when I see a awesome deal and start hording. But anywho Fritz rpm at the LFS are selling a box for $50. Maybe the prices a lower with it being produced in Dallas.
Man, I hope I can find a similar deal!

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious about the cost comparison statement. RPM seems to be quite a bit more costly than IO or RC. I'm seeing 200g boxes of IO for around $40-$45, RC for $50-$55, and RPM (205g box) at $87. I'm understanding the quality is possibly (probably) worth the extra, but it doesn't seem cost would be considered to be close (at least in the way I would compare costs). Is RPM available at a lower price than I'm finding? The price I'm quoting is from amazon.
LOL, I've been hunting too.
Premium Aquatics. Buy 2 boxes and get free shipping :)
https://premiumaquatics.com/products/fritzpro-rpm-salt-mix-205-gallon-box.html

Last edited:

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started off using Reef Crystals because that's what the LFS told me that I HAD to use for a reef. IO won't cut it, he said.

Then I found Randy Holmes-Farley, and he said that he used IO on his reef. I figured if IO was good enough for the reef chemistry god, then it's good enough for me. I made the switch and haven't looked back.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 39.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back