BIG Powerheads???

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been looking for a powerhead that puts out around 13k-15k gph. I found the panta rhei ECM63, but the price is hard to swallow at $2k ea (I need 2). Any options out there for powerheads in this flow range at a lower price point?

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could get four of these puppies:

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You could get four of these puppies:

I know, but I'm building a peninsula, and I only want powerheads on the side with the overflow. I want something that will punch through 6ft of length with capacity to spare. It's 6x4 ft footprint SPS only.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
MP60 puts out 7,500 ... so you’d only need two LOL. It’s a broad flow pump though, so carrying 6’ is a push. Hydro wizard is the only one I know ... and it’s stupid $$$ as you have noted. Have you considered a closed loop?

slojim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Tunze stream3 i like and while it's less flow than you are looking for i think you'll get results over 6 feet with the correct head.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
MP60 puts out 7,500 ... so you’d only need two LOL. It’s a broad flow pump though, so carrying 6’ is a push. Hydro wizard is the only one I know ... and it’s stupid $$$ as you have noted. Have you considered a closed loop?

No I want 2 x 15k gph so 30k total. I also know the 6255 might be ok, but just barely.... I want to be able to overkill. Yes I'm also looking at closed loop, but I don't want pipes over the side, 15 returns... And I'd like to keep it to two pumps max.

I was considering 2 x Vectras on penductors, but I couldn't get jda's approval lol. With these considerations, what closed loop pumps would you use?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The MP heads are extremely wide angle and I dont think that's what the OP wants. They dissipate water movement very fast

Classic powerheads are much narrower and have more pressure behind their stream. Also why they consume more power. Like comparing a house fan vs a blow dryer.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I could do 4x mp60 but even if I could rationalize having pumps on 2 sides of the tank (I'd utilize gyre flow) I'd be at $2800.... Another grand and I'm back at the Panta Rheis... Which i would cough up to keep from taking up a viewing panel with pumps....

I really like the closed loop idea. My target would be 2 pumps, 2 suctions, 2 returns.... I'm just afraid of what the heat addition and my electric bill would look like. I'm already going to be running 4 x 400 watters over the display.... :)

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The MP heads are extremely wide angle and I dont think that's what the OP wants. They dissipate water movement very fast

Classic powerheads are much narrower and have more pressure behind their stream. Also why they consume more power. Like comparing a house fan vs a blow dryer.

Correct. I love the wide flow, but I need it to push the full 6 ft length of the tank. They just can't do it.

FangsAndGames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gyre model pumps do better job pushing water over long distances.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was considering 2 x Vectras on penductors, but I couldn't get jda's approval lol. With these considerations, what closed loop pumps would you use?

CL would probably need to complement something like MP60. Even a pair of Vectra L1 is only going to get you 2,500 GPH per return.

I've a 450 currently, but have been conceptualizing a REALLY big tank, and flow is perhaps the most significant challenge. There just aren't any large flow pumps that don't cost a small fortune. ECM75 isn't far short of $5K .... and it's physically huge.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a reeflo hammerhead on my loop they would absolutely pump the 6' distance maybe do a mix using something like that for a constant flow and toss on a flow randomizer then add a smaller powerhead to give you some surging etc if you like that kind of stuff you could definitely land in a decent budget that way. One hammerhead could also run two lines, i have one pump split 16ways pumping distance front to back is only about two feet but with only two 6' would be doable.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I took a look at the tank you're putting them in and honestly with that size, I think you'd be better off with 4 pumps anyways. One pump, even at 13-15k GPH will only push a stream maybe 6" in diameter. If you think about the fluid dynamics of your situation, taking that 13-15K and spreading it out over two pumps individually (I'm thinking four pumps synced into a gyre as you mentioned, so two run at a time) That flow would then be spread out over double the area. Meaning more overall water movement. I personally think that four of the Tunze 6155 would be a better option and have a more useable flow patter for you and your tank. Watching a few of the BRS videos on flow and especially the one they have coming up (was supposed to be yesterday's video but they said it will be out next week) where they actually went out and bought a super high end flow meter, will help explain my point better. The Tunze 6255 is more powerful but with a much wider neck, I don't know that it would reach a full 6' but I'm sure the 6155 would reach the 6' mark for you.

Another idea would be to run two 6155's of 6255's for general flow and two large gyre pumps to push water to the far end of the tank.

R.Weller

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, but I'm building a peninsula, and I only want powerheads on the side with the overflow. I want something that will punch through 6ft of length with capacity to spare. It's 6x4 ft footprint SPS only.

Our 300 gallon is 72" x 36" x 24". We are using two IceCap 4k gyre's & one alone is able to reach across the 6' at 80% capacity. They are also very quite. You should be able to stack two on one side of the tank & get the right flow.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
CL would probably need to complement something like MP60. Even a pair of Vectra L1 is only going to get you 2,500 GPH per return.

I've a 450 currently, but have been conceptualizing a REALLY big tank, and flow is perhaps the most significant challenge. There just aren't any large flow pumps that don't cost a small fortune. ECM75 isn't far short of $5K .... and it's physically huge.

I considered a dual pump/eductor combo, but the pumps I'd need will just added too much heat to the water I'm afraid. Maybe if I ran all LED, but that's not a consideration.... A mix of CL and powerheads would give me the worst of both worlds... I'm back to the drawing board I guess....

I am even searching for cheap Chinese alternatives, and looking through aquaculture and pond websites. There really is nothing in that 10k-20k gph range that I can find. I will likely go with a few Jebaos until I can save enough for the Panta Rheis... plus the extra $600 I'll cough up for the fish guard. And then pray that they'll last. I can find any longterm user feedback on them.

OP
OP
naterealbig

naterealbig

pea brain
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run a reeflo hammerhead on my loop they would absolutely pump the 6' distance maybe do a mix using something like that for a constant flow and toss on a flow randomizer then add a smaller powerhead to give you some surging etc if you like that kind of stuff you could definitely land in a decent budget that way. One hammerhead could also run two lines, i have one pump split 16ways pumping distance front to back is only about two feet but with only two 6' would be doable.

Hey there. How big is your aquarium? How is the heat addition from the hammerhead? Heat is a concern as I will be running 1600 watts of halides and will not be running a chiller.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dt is 155 true gal about 170 without all the rocks completely full etc. My full system is about 300 true gal. The hammerhead runs really cool compaired to others ive tried, apex cor, little giant, and random chinese were all warmer. Its about comparable to my jebao dcp-15000 which is saying something since the jebao is a dc pump, id also recommend those if your looking for dc. Quite honestly the only down side ive had with the reeflo pumps is the size, they are about double the size of most similarly gph sized pumps so they stay cooler and quieter. I liked my hammerhead loop pump so much that when my return pumps in the basement died i decided to get two snappers to replace them. Now i do run leds not mh but i can honestly say ive never noticed a difference in temp if i turn the hammerhead on or off my heater seems to run the same etc bc i will turn it off for maintenance etc on occasion.

DSEKULA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Btw my snappers also run a 12' head loss from the basement and still manage a mild return flow through the entire dt. Its not like a blast of flow but at 12' i was seriously impressed at what they still push.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 50.8%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 14 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 7.9%
Back