BigHildy53 New 180g Mixed Reef Build

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm starting a new 180 gallon mixed reef (reef and fish) tank. I have a 75 gallon live plant freshwater tank with discus and rainbow fish. I also have a 37 gallon goldfish tank; but I'll have to find a new owner for the goldfish as this tank will be taken down.

I haven't gotten far yet. The main equipment is listed below. I'm an anal geek for my day job. So I've also attached my project schedule for the task. The timing is estimated and adjusted for work and vacations. I'd like to hear opinions and especially if there are major steps missing.

I'm also contemplating having a new stand built. The stand that came with the tank is fine; but it is so light I just wonder about it's longevity. Plus I'd like the top to be solid instead of open.

Main Equipment:
All-Glass 180 Gallon w/ Stand
HW-Marinemix Reefer Salt Mix 160 Gallons - HW Wiegandt
BRS Pukani Dry Live Rock (Sold by the pound)
Emerald Sump 39 - Trigger Systems
Apex Controller System - Neptune Systems
Vectra L1 DC - Ecotech Marine
MaxSpect Gyre XF150
Kessil A360W-E Tuna Blue LED Aquarium Light - Wide Angle
A-Series Mounting Arm - Kessil
20 lb. Special Grade Arag-Alive! Reef Sand
800 Watt TH Titanium Heating Element - Finnex
H380 Halo II LED Algae Grow Light - Kessil
Korallin BioDenitrator Nitrate Filter S-1502 w/ Eheim 1048 Pump
OSMOLATOR UNIVERSAL 3155 AUTO TOP OFF - TUNZE
EMERALD ATO 10 GALLON RESERVOIR - TRIGGER SYSTEMS
REEF OCTOPUS 10" REGAL 250EXT RECIRCULATING PROTEIN SKIMMER
SYNCRA SILENT 5.0 PUMP (1321 GPH) - SICCE
KESSIL A360W-E TUNA BLUE LED AQUARIUM LIGHT - WIDE ANGLE
A-SERIES MOUNTING ARM - KESSIL
BRS GFO & Carbon Reactor - Deluxe with MJ1200 Pump
Synergy Reef Overflow - 16 Inch - Synergy Reef Systems
AUTOMATIC ROLLER MAT - THEILING
BRS GFO & CARBON REACTOR - JUMBO
Maxspect Gyre XF150 Generator Flow Pump
Reef Octopus VarioS-4 Controllable DC Circulation Pump

Attachments

• Saltwater Setup.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 123

lou dog420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you have it covered. That's some nice equipment.

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My work on the new build has proceeded slower than planned; but I'm fine with that. No rush in finishing before vacation. I have painted the back blacked and completed all of the main plumbing. I am using a Synergy Reef overflow with a bean animal (if I did it correctly). The main overflow is plumbed to the Theiling roller mat then into the sump input. The secondary overflow is plumbed directly into the sump input. The emergency overflow is plumbed into the protein skimmer section of the sump so it would make a loud splashing noise if ever invoked; as a warning. The emergency overflow from the Theiling roller mat is plumbed into the protein skimmer section also so it would make a loud splashing noise if invoked; as a warning. The return is plumbed as a manifold so that other equipment can be setup. I have a single return to the tank as an overhang. I'll use some loc-line pieces to flare the return out towards the top of the water. I am use a Georg Fischer Wye Check Valve on the return piping. This will be in addition to keeping the return at the top of the tank. The wye check valve is easy to clean. Some won't agree but it's what I decided to do.

The wall I will be putting the tank against is a bump out; so I have room for equipment behind the tank without pushing the tank out from the wall; any further than I have to already due to the bump out. I am looking for a drip pan, or something similar, to put under the equipment behind the tank in case of leaks. The external protein skimmer will go back there also because it's too tall for the tank stand. I'll have to build a wall of kinds to hid the equipment from view; and the dog.

I may have a custom stand build. I'm having it specked out. The stand which came with the All-Glass 180 gallon tank will probably work. I just don't like certain things about it. The person will be keeping the same specs so everything will fit the same.

The pictures are below. And yes I color coordinated the piping. I wanted blue for the overflow, red for the return and grey for the manifold.

Let me know what you think.

20160724_095814.jpg
20160724_100043.jpg
20160724_100107.jpg
20160724_100129.jpg
20160724_100158.jpg
20160724_100151.jpg
20160724_100211.jpg

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Great job so far!

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been slow on the new build. Basically because I decided to have someone build a custom stand. The stand that came with the tank is fine. However, considering the investment I wanted more than fine. The stand will be ready in about a week so I wanted to start work on the aquascape. This is my first attempt. I thought it looked better "in person" than the picture does. I have additional rocks to scatter around and finish out the two main groups. In general I'm going for a minimalist approach; to leave plenty of room for fish; but there will be corals also.

20160813_165608.jpg

OP
OP
BigHildy53

BigHildy53

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With my custom stand delivered I've started the build. This is my "report" from the first day. The first day went a bit slower than anticipated; but only minor hiccups. I am very happy with the custom stand. He's coming back later to put the doors on. The tank includes a side door for the sump. The stand has a solid top and feels must better suited to handle the weight of the tank.

The stand has a raised floor. Meant that my dry runs on the plumbing had to be altered. The reduced space has created challanges; but flexible PVC to the rescue.

I regret not going with a rimless tank. No major reasons, but being such a large presence in the family room a rimless tank would have looked better. Plus there would be no cross bars to cast shadows.

If I planned things better I would have thought about placement of the lights when installing the Synergy Reef overflow. But again a minor issue; I just moved the arm mounts slightly to the outside and swung the lights inward.

How does one hide the power cords from the MaxSpec Gyre's?

As you can see in the pictures I installed a manifold. However I didn't plan it well. With the union ball valves the manifold "exits" stick rather far. It's created slight issues hooking up the Avast Vibe and BRS jump reactor in terms of routing the tubing without kinks.

Learning the ins and outs of the Neptune Apex might be more challenging than I thought. I haven't quite figured out the settings for the Kessil lights yet.

SW 180 2016-09-04 (1 of 5).jpg
SW 180 2016-09-04 (4 of 5).jpg
SW 180 2016-09-04 (5 of 5).jpg
SW 180 2016-09-04 (2 of 5).jpg

SW 180 2016-09-04 (3 of 5).jpg

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 12 8.8%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 27.7%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 66 48.2%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.2%
Back