Bio filter or no bio filter in qt

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been searching threads and haven't found a discussion on bio filter in QT. I've come across some YouTube videos only using water changes to reduce ammonia. Do I need a bio filter in the QT? Why or why not?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great question. Actually there is this article by @Brew12 in the stickies right here in this part of the forum.
Ammonia Control in a Hospital Tank

The short answer is yes, you need a biofilter in a QT that will be up for longer than a few days. One isn't typically used in a TTM tank because the fish are only in it for 3 days. Any longer than that, or with a bigger bio load, a filter is a must.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your adding life, you need a bio filter.
Grab a media bag and fill it with rock rubble, matrix, marine pure or something like that. Put it in your DT or sump for a few weeks to let all the good bacteria colonise the media, then use that in your QT. If you don't medicate the QT and you don't have disease/parasites you can reuse the media. If you did use medication or have other issues, it's best not to reuse it though. You never know what may be introduced to your DT! Also, testing daily or getting an ammonia alert badge is a good idea.

Relying purely on water changes to keep ammonia under control is wasteful and time consuming. I wouldn't recommend it :p

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a media bag and fill it with rock rubble, matrix, marine pure or something like that. Put it in your DT or sump for a few weeks to let all the good bacteria colonise the media, then use that in your QT. If you don't medicate the QT and you don't have disease/parasites you can reuse the media. If you did use medication or have other issues, it's best not to reuse it though. You never know what may be introduced to your DT! Also, testing daily or getting an ammonia alert badge is a good idea.

Relying purely on water changes to keep ammonia under control is wasteful and time consuming. I wouldn't recommend it :p

This, I haven't done a water change in 2wks. Ammonia still showing 0 and I'm running copper.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This, I haven't done a water change in 2wks. Ammonia still showing 0 and I'm running copper.
Your lucky you must be QTing small fish or one fish? I tried using a small bag of matrix and it sucked my copper up like a sponge. I pulled it out of my hob and opened the media bag and my matrix was blue from copper absorption replaced it with a small seeded sponge and my copper levels equalized

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, I've been searching threads and haven't found a discussion on bio filter in QT. I've come across some YouTube videos only using water changes to reduce ammonia. Do I need a bio filter in the QT? Why or why not?
If your not using the ttm I would definitely use a bio filter and a Seachem ammonia alert just in case copper is needed.

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is one reference for no bio filter.

I think Vivid Aquariums is a good source for info.
Great question. Actually there is this article by @Brew12 in the stickies right here in this part of the forum.
Ammonia Control in a Hospital Tank

The short answer is yes, you need a biofilter in a QT that will be up for longer than a few days. One isn't typically used in a TTM tank because the fish are only in it for 3 days. Any longer than that, or with a bigger bio load, a filter is a must.
The main reason for my quandary is during medication. Won't the medication have an affect on the bio filter?

OP
OP
imustbenuts

imustbenuts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If I use a sponge and add meds, will the sponge be forever contaminated? Will I need to replace the sponge after each QT session?

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I use a sponge and add meds, will the sponge be forever contaminated? Will I need to replace the sponge after each QT session?

I wouldn't say "forever contaminated" meaning it's 100% impossible to get rid of all the nasties. But it may take a very long time for the meds to leach out of the sponge to levels that are considered reef safe. Copper can linger in a tank for a very long time.

It's not worth risking 100's or 1000's of dollars worth of livestock for the sake of reusing a 50c sponge. I would without a doubt replace it after each use :)

Reefltx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your lucky you must be QTing small fish or one fish? I tried using a small bag of matrix and it sucked my copper up like a sponge. I pulled it out of my hob and opened the media bag and my matrix was blue from copper absorption replaced it with a small seeded sponge and my copper levels equalized

3" purple tang and 4 lyretail in a 20g long.
I dosed it with seachem seed prior to and during copper.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to using a QT bio-filter to help control ammonia. Otherwise you'll always be doing water changes; and it's only a matter of time before you are late with one and your fish get exposed to ammonia. :eek:

No to maintaining a long-term QT because eventually a biofilm will form and start breaking down medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

Nitrifying bacteria in your bio-filter are not present in sufficient numbers to biodegrade medications. And you should always have biomedia (like a sponge) going down in your DT's sump, so you don't have to recycle your QT after breaking it down to sterilize: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-sterilize-a-quarantine-tank.201/

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes to using a QT bio-filter to help control ammonia. Otherwise you'll always be doing water changes; and it's only a matter of time before you are late with one and your fish get exposed to ammonia. :eek:

No to maintaining a long-term QT because eventually a biofilm will form and start breaking down medications: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/qt-and-biofilm.292878/

Nitrifying bacteria in your bio-filter are not present in sufficient numbers to biodegrade medications. And you should always have biomedia (like a sponge) going down in your DT's sump, so you don't have to recycle your QT after breaking it down to sterilize: https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/video-how-to-sterilize-a-quarantine-tank.201/

I just clicked on the second thread to give it a quick look through and to save for later reference. It redirected to this page [emoji23]
3ccef3128b3b3b19c3da78c57efd7ac5.jpg

chomoney

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

How long is "too long" regarding leaving you QT up and running?

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tyler1503 Are you sure?! I just double checked my links and they both appear to be going to the correct URLs. :confused:

How long is "too long" regarding leaving you QT up and running?

Roughly, no longer than 2-3 months.

tyler1503

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@tyler1503 Are you sure?! I just double checked my links and they both appear to be going to the correct URLs. :confused:

Roughly, no longer than 2-3 months.

Perhaps it's a bug in the iPhone app?
It's still going to that zoa thread. The first link works properly.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 30 18.3%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 110 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.0%
Back