Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was wondering if anyone has used bio pellets in a reactor in the chamber after their skimmer.

I have an AIO tank (DIY) and have a spare chamber that I am looking at putting a biopellet reactor in. However, this chamber is after my skimmer and before my return pump chamber.

I have read a few articles that say the reactor should be before the skimmer so that the skimmer can pull out the reactor effluent.

I guess my question is will the reactor effluent affect my tank if the skimmer wasn’t after it? Surely the skimmer will pull the effluent out eventually right?

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine sits next to the return pump two chambers away from my skimmer but... pretty sure all bio pellet reactors have an output. I used a section of PVC pipe with a 45 degree downturn that dumps the output of the reactor literally at the pump input for the skimmer. It would pretty much defeat the purpose of the reactor if the bacterial byproduct of the reactor is not skimmed and you end up with bio film all over the tank.

OP
OP
Jim8o

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well mine sits next to the return pump two chambers away from my skimmer but... pretty sure all bio pellet reactors have an output. I used a section of PVC pipe with a 45 degree downturn that dumps the output of the reactor literally at the pump input for the skimmer. It would pretty much defeat the purpose of the reactor if the bacterial byproduct of the reactor is not skimmed and you end up with bio film all over the tank.
Thanks for your help. That makes sense to me.

I’m looking at the Aqua Medic Multi Reactor S. I’m not sure however what the output is like on it.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 32 51.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 19.4%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 13 21.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 8.1%
Back