BioCube 29 DIY Top

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so i made this change back in January 2009 but i figured it could be some help.

I was getting tired with the ceiling crate thing and realize that without it i could get some extra light and a nicer look!! So i grabbed some plexi glass, 1/4 inch thick, and went to town with my dremel. Make sure to measure it a little bigger then the space it will go so that you can sand it down smaller without making it too small. After some cutting, sanding and hole drilling i think i have a pretty nice looking top. I made 7 holes, 1 for my handle and 6 for ventilation.....which i may need a few more but for now pretty good. Enjoy the pics and tell me what you think!!

So far i have noticed a 2-3 degree increase in temp but since my temps were down to 75-76 i think that i am okay...Plus i am having less evaporation.

NOTE: I have had this for 2 years and the only thing i would change is going with Lexan instead of Plexi glass since it does bow a little over time and i just flip it over. Other than that i have since removed the handle and replaced with a plastic wing nut and bolt.

Before!
0120095.jpg

0120092.jpg

Stupid fingerprints lol
0120096.jpg

0120098.jpg

01200910.jpg

lemonyx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using the "netting" in the middle of the lid to keep the fish in and the heat out, just an idea. That 1/4" clear netting .

Good job on that lid, btw

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about using the "netting" in the middle of the lid to keep the fish in and the heat out, just an idea. That 1/4" clear netting .

Good job on that lid, btw

So far the heat hasnt been too much of an issue except for the south florida summer months when even if i had no top it wouldnt help LOL. Plus more opening equals more evaporation....so far i feel i have balanced the two decently. Only thing i would truely change would be the material - Lexan instead of Plexi!

Thanks for the compliment!!

OP
OP
fsu1dolfan

fsu1dolfan

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it's not bowing yet??? great job on the lid for sure i made a few for my local boys out of 3/8" and they bowed after a couple days...:(

It bows a little but it is very slow over a month or so. I basically just take out the bolt and wing nut and flip it over. Stick the bolt back in and wing nut attached. Bows back in place and eventually bows too much...and flip back over. If the handle is reversable then no worries...otherwise if i did it over, i would do it in Lexan. Thanks Troy!!

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 26 22.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 84 72.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.4%
Back