Biopellet question

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How low below the recommended amount of biopellets can one go while still being effective. My work is planning on using a biopellet reactor for our 700-800g fish system. The problem is that we would need about 2500ml of biopellets for the recommended amount. Given that a typical reactor such as the BRS one only holds 350ml, we would ned a LOT of reactors. I don't want 0 nitrate so I was already wanting to run less than recommended, but I am curious how effective something like 1/4 of the recommended amount would work on this system.

Montiman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is hard to say.

I use a Lifegard Turbo XL which I have put 2000L of pellets in. Currently with about 1000L of pellets it keeps my heavily stocked 200 gallon tank at 20ppm Nitrate. I bet if you have a heavily stocked 800 you will likely need all 2500ml. I would look at the Lifegard Turbo XL. I have been very happy with mine and they are very reasonably prided as well as readily available. Lifegard rates them for aquariums up to 800 gallons.

flampton

Ecological Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the BRS is a really small one. There are others out there that can hold way more like the above, Avast marine Spyglass large, reef octopus br-3000ss etc...

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%

Back