Biopellet reactor away from skimmer

Patrick Fulton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all,
I’ve been looking into adding a bio pellet reactor to my 90 gallon tank. I feel it’s necessary at this point.
My main concern is my inability to run the reactor outlet into my skimmer intake. I have a hang in back skimmer that has been working extremely well for a while and I don’t want to buy a new skimmer. The problem with it being HOB is its difficult to run a biopellet reactor outflow into the skimmer.
Can I get away with running the bio pellets in my sump, away from the skimmer or it is critical to have it flowing into my skimmer?

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different, so I feel it's not a simple answer.....what I'm saying is it might work, or might not work. When I was running bio pellets with the outtake next to the skimmer, I was getting a bunch of slime on the skimmer....had to pull the entire skimmer weekly to clean it off. So if you try this, look for potential slime around the tank and sump.

Why not liquid carbon dosing....vodka, vinegar, or NOPOX? I'm currently doing a DIY version of NOPOX....love it. Doesn't matter where the skimmer is located.

mtraylor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran bio pellets years ago. It was best for me if I ran the biopellet effluent in the skimmer chamber, otherwise I ran into all kinds of algae issues. That being said it was just a matter of time before the green slime stuff from the biopellets became a nuisance for me and I stopped running them. Took a couple years.

OP
OP
Patrick Fulton

Patrick Fulton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank is different, so I feel it's not a simple answer.....what I'm saying is it might work, or might not work. When I was running bio pellets with the outtake next to the skimmer, I was getting a bunch of slime on the skimmer....had to pull the entire skimmer weekly to clean it off. So if you try this, look for potential slime around the tank and sump.

Why not liquid carbon dosing....vodka, vinegar, or NOPOX? I'm currently doing a DIY version of NOPOX....love it. Doesn't matter where the skimmer is located.

I’m going to have to look into NOPOX. I appreciate the feedback. Very helpful.

OP
OP
Patrick Fulton

Patrick Fulton

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I ran bio pellets years ago. It was best for me if I ran the biopellet effluent in the skimmer chamber, otherwise I ran into all kinds of algae issues. That being said it was just a matter of time before the green slime stuff from the biopellets became a nuisance for me and I stopped running them. Took a couple years.
I see. Hmm these suggestions are deterring me from getting bio pellets now. I’m going to have to look deeper. Thanks for the feedback.

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you're interested in DIY NOPOX, here's the recipe. Based on an NMR of NOPOX, a diy mix of 500 mls vinegar (5%), 375 mls vodka (80 proof), and 125 mls RO/DI matches the ratios. Dose per NOPOX instructions.

Measured Level (ppm) ....................Daily Dose ml/100 L (25 gal)
NO3 above 10 ---------------------------------------3
NO3 above 2.5, but less than 10 ------------------2
NO3 above 1 but less than 2.5 ---------------------1

Philt56

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the lifeguard reactor model which just sends it’s output thru holes on the top cap and the water just runs down the outside of the reactor body. The other model has an output elbow that you can redirect I figure it’s so close to my skimmer that most goes in it but I guess the return pump can grab it too.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 47 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 81 46.8%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 21 12.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.7%
Back