Biota regal angel, yes or no?

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little grazing monster is doing well and gets fed twice a day with everyone else. :)

DSC_0003 (1024x698).jpg

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since you chose not to answer my question, I guess the answer to my question is “no”. Thanks. BTW. Raising a wild-caught juvenile Regal is much easier than most people believe. You Just have to know what and how to feed them.
The debate is still up on whether these are yellow belly or grey belly as well. These are bred from F1 offspring where the F0 were collected from Sumatra which has overlap of both the yellow and grey bellies. So it's likely they have grey genes in the offspring. The real important aspect here is historically regal angelfish have been a nightmare to try to keep alive from the wild and these regals do incredibly well in aquariums.

- that does answer your question. They just told you where the breeding stock comes from

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The debate is still up on whether these are yellow belly or grey belly as well. These are bred from F1 offspring where the F0 were collected from Sumatra which has overlap of both the yellow and grey bellies. So it's likely they have grey genes in the offspring. The real important aspect here is historically regal angelfish have been a nightmare to try to keep alive from the wild and these regals do incredibly well in aquariums.

- that does answer your question. They just told you where the breeding stock comes from

This is the part that is often overlooked. The older thread over on RC most of the change of information was always on source / collection location due to a higher chance of success in home aquaria. Conscientious aquarist cared more about the source of origin with a higher success rate rather than color. That was secondary. It was a good thread.

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Apologies if this was already addressed earlier -- has anyone tried pairs or trios? Should we expect better luck forming pairs with access to juvenile fish as young as these? I am planning my next tank and had thought I would try for a venustus pair and single regal. Now, wondering if I should just plan on a bigger tank for pairs of both. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses: :smiling-face-with-halo:

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people talking about poor planning of mixing the colors and what not.

These were bred by BALI not BIOTA. They just import other captives to sell here in the states (thank you for that) so I would think it is Bali who is mixing them all together and fingers are being pointed at the wrong people.

Fishfreak2009

Follow Your Passions!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see people talking about poor planning of mixing the colors and what not.

These were bred by BALI not BIOTA. They just import other captives to sell here in the states (thank you for that) so I would think it is Bali who is mixing them all together and fingers are being pointed at the wrong people.
I'd also like to point out that Blue/grey bellied regals are just as gorgeous IMO, and that having captive bred regal angels is an amazing feat. I've kept grey and yellow bellieds in the past at various points, and my grey bellies were also more sociable and personable fwiw.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s what I was trying to ascertain when I asked the Biota representative if that was their future plans. He chose to ignore me. In any case, you can buy a gray belly 2 1/2 to 3 inch Regal at bluezooaquatics with a 7-day guarantee for $199.99. That same size fish in a yellow belly Regal will cost you $349.99. To some people that $150 difference may not mean anything. To most people, I would venture to say that it does. It certainly does to me.

They are not bred by biota. They just import them for us (yay mode that!). They are bred by Bali Aquarich. So you need to ask that company :)

reeftwincities

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s interesting. I don’t mind slightly aberrant or misbarred patterns but just like with Clownfish I much prefer nice, well-developed bars as intended lol.

Agreed -- I hope they don't prioritize misbar over the regular pattern when/if breeding efforts continue. The real deal is beautiful enough.

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So since you chose not to answer my question, I guess the answer to my question is “no”. Thanks. BTW. Raising a wild-caught juvenile Regal is much easier than most people believe. You Just have to know what and how to feed them.
Apologies, I semi addressed it in the next response but due to the genetics of the original parents having overlap of yellow and grey bellies it's highly likely that offspring can vary. Meaning the only way to be 100% sure and separate gold and grey bellies is to grow them out for a few months which wouldn't be economical for the breeder, us, or the hobbyists purchasing them. Unfortunately, it's not as simple as clownfish where phenotypic traits are displayed just after settlement and we've learned even future selected breeding of F1 and F2 generations don't always yield the results in the offspring (Sunrise Coral Beauty, Orange Mandarins, White yellow tang).

Biota_Marine

Jake At Biota
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Captive breeding is likely necessary for the continuation of this hobby on a long enough time line.

If people complain and won’t buy fish then there won’t be those willing to breed them.

Luckily there does seem to be demand for these fish… more than supply even.

Like if biota successfully breeds their potters angels and starts selling juvis… won’t people be happy as we don’t have access to the wild ones anymore? Will people complain about that?

If regals were no longer able to be imported. Wouldn’t you be happy they are available captive?

People spend way more on coral with stupid names that is easily grown or chopped up. Fish are arguably way more difficult.

My tank simply isn’t big enough for a regal so I will just enjoy others photos. Now a multibar would fit If they would only come in stock!
The absolute worst thing to me is that so many hobbyists will complain about the price tag of a captive bred tang or angelfish (scientific milestones) while their tank has a $200 designer clownfish that could be bred in a bucket by anyone

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome little fish! how fast has it been growing? I've heard variable things about their growth rate
I've had two of the captive bred regals for about 6 weeks now. One thing I can say is that their growth rate is variable. One of mine is very bold and hangs out with my rabbit fish all day pecking at the rocks he's added about 50% to his size and is about 1.5" now. The other one is very shy and while it eats well doesn't like to be out in the open much and doesn't spend as much time eating, she appears to be about the same size but has gotten much darker in coloration and has filled in nicely.

Here is the bold one with his rabbit fish buddy.
20220415_102214.jpg

Its hard to get a picture of the shy one here is the best recent one I have.

20220415_102223.jpg

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you also own the Goldenlined rabbit fish. If so, how do you like it?

I purchased mine from Biota and have to say I love it. Placed it in my refugium for a bit because my larger sapphire (also from Biota) harassed it a bit since the rabbit hung out around its spawning location. After a month it grew in size and pretty much cleared out all of the macro algae in the fuge (Caulerpa lentillifera). I have since moved it into the display and it is pretty neat. Hangs out with my Scopus tang. I am getting a bit worried about its final size and starting to think my 210 display may be too small.

Edit: pretty regals btw

Oredigger77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you also own the Goldenlined rabbit fish. If so, how do you like it?

I purchased mine from Biota and have to say I love it. Placed it in my refugium for a bit because my larger sapphire (also from Biota) harassed it a bit since the rabbit hung out around its spawning location. After a month it grew in size and pretty much cleared out all of the macro algae in the fuge (Caulerpa lentillifera). I have since moved it into the display and it is pretty neat. Hangs out with my Scopus tang. I am getting a bit worried about its final size and starting to think my 210 display may be too small.

Edit: pretty regals btw
I really like it. It eats everything and is much prettier than I would have expected. I'm concerned about how big it will grow but I guess that'll be a reason to upgrade my tank in a couple of years.

20220404_172516.jpg

FeliciaM

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there any plans in the works for you folks to segregate the various subspecies of Regal Angels? Specifically, the Red Sea subspecies, the Indian Ocean subspecies, and the Pacific Ocean subspecies. I’m sure you’re aware that each individual subspecies commands a different price point. It might be beneficial for your top and bottom lines to do so.
Hi, Bruno3047, These Regal Angelfish are bred by Biota's friends at Bali Aquarich. The answer to "Are these yellow or grey variety" isn't quite clear since the parents could have genes from both varieties considering the geographic origin of the broodstock, but Matthew Pedersen and Thomas Roewer are predicting that most will be yellow chested. You can read more about the different subspecies debate here in the comments section of this article: https://www.reef2rainforest.com/2022/01/21/domestication-of-the-regal-angelfish/

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 31 79.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back