Black Ich

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang that has a couple spots of black ich. The black ich cause bacterial splotches sometimes. I feel that it is not regular ich because a white splotches look too big. Blue tang eats 2 to 3 algae sheets a day. Lrs herbivore mixed with garlic, second, vita-chem. I have also done metro and focus together in food. Blue tang eats and graze all day. So I feel if I did a dip prazipro, maybe this would help with the black ich hanging around on the fish. I run uv and I know this is not 100% effective but I think it helps. How should go about doing a dip. He has handled freshwater dips fine. What should be my next step or should I just leave it be since he is eating so well and getting fat?

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you can check this thread by Humblefish: https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/black-ich-turbellarians.259912/
If the black spots look similar to the photos then you can treat with prazipro or formalin bath.
Bacterial infections will arise due to worms eating the flesh of the fish and creating injuries and wounds, so metro is good option.
I would definitely treat it as these worms are eating the fish, you don't want that.

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a blue tang that has a couple spots of black ich. The black ich cause bacterial splotches sometimes. I feel that it is not regular ich because a white splotches look too big. Blue tang eats 2 to 3 algae sheets a day. Lrs herbivore mixed with garlic, second, vita-chem. I have also done metro and focus together in food. Blue tang eats and graze all day. So I feel if I did a dip prazipro, maybe this would help with the black ich hanging around on the fish. I run uv and I know this is not 100% effective but I think it helps. How should go about doing a dip. He has handled freshwater dips fine. What should be my next step or should I just leave it be since he is eating so well and getting fat?
Here's here's a link to identify https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/f...utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=January_23_2017
And yes prazipro should do the trick however a bath or dip is only a band aid the tank will need to be treated also a pic could help out and do you have coral is it possible it's a sting

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have coral, I know a dip might only be a band aid but I feel that if I use prazipro in The Who system it would kill pod population for mandarin.
I am currently trying to trap the fish so we will see.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can take a picture it will definitely help to confirm if its black ich or coral stings. Dosing prazipro in the reef is safe for all inverts and pods, although it might affect feather dusters, bristle worms or other ornamental worms, thats why its not recommended.

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you think my sps corals and cleaner shrimp would be ok to do prazipro in whole system?

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PraziPro
The World’s First Ready-To-Use, Liquid Concentrate Praziquantel Treatment!
Liquid PraziPro is a ready-to-use, liquid concentrate that was developed to offer the hobbyist an effective way to control unwanted parasites in their pond, freshwater or marine aquarium. Extremely safe and super effective this revolutionary product offer you rapid control yet will not negatively impact your biological filtration. Send those unwanted pond visitors on their way, try Liquid PraziPro today!
Key Benefits
  • Treats Flukes
  • Treats Tapeworm
  • Treats Flatworms
  • Treats Turbellarians
  • Highly Effective
  • Extremely Safe
  • Won't Negatively Impact Biological Filtration
  • Can Be Used As A Preventative
  • Excellent When Used before Ich-X (as a separate treatment)
  • Non-toxic To Commonly Kept Aquarium Animals Or Plants
Available Sizes

Aquarium Solutions
1 oz. (treats 120 gallons) Item #73251
4 oz. (treats 480 gallons) Item #73254
16 oz. (treats 1,920 gallons) Item #73256

Pond Solutions
16 oz. (treats 3,200 gallons) Item #73356
32 oz. (treats 6,400 gallons) Item #73357
Gallon (treats 25,600 gallons) Item #73358

Directions For Use
For treatment of praziquantel-susceptible disease conditions in pond, freshwater and marine aquariums and ornamental pond fishes. AS A BATH: Start treatment with as large a water change as practical or start with new water. Any water used should first be conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines. Do not stop filtration, but remove activated carbon and stop foam-fractionation (protein skimming) and UV sterilization. SHAKE VIGOROUSLY before use. Measure Aquarium Solutions Liquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 20 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 120 gallons) Measure Pond SolutionsLiquid PraziPro at the rate of one (1) teaspoon per 32 gallons of water to be treated. (one (1) fl. oz. per 200 gallons) This produces a concentration of 2.5 mg/L. Distribute the proper amount around the edge of the aquarium or pond or directly in to the filter box to achieve the best overall distribution. A single treatment lasting 5-7 days is normally sufficient. Repeat as necessary, but no more than once every 3 to 5 days. May be used as a preventative, at the standard dosage, when disease is likely. Do not use with other drugs or disease treatments. May cause temporary foaming.

RECOMMENDATIONS:Use Liquid PraziPro any time unwanted parasites are noticed or introduction is probable.

CAUTION: In case of contact with eyes, rinse immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes. In case of skin contact, wash with soap and plenty of water. If swallowed, rinse mouth with water (if person is conscious). Obtain medical advice.

CONTRAINDICATIONS:There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro except for use in marine (saltwater) systems where flatworms of the Polycladida order are being cultured. Because We Care: PraziPro has been developed to offer assistance to aquarium or pond keepers who are encountering problems with unwanted worms or parasites and for ease of use by the user.

KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN
FOR AQUARIUM USE ONLY
NOT FOR HUMAN OR VETERINARY MEDICAL USE
NOT FOR USE ON FOOD FISHES

CONTENTS: oxybispropanol (as an inert solubilizing agent) and <5% praziquantel by weight.

ALSO DO NOT ADD STRESS REDUCING AGENTS OR WATER CONDITIONERS LIKE PRIME TO YOUR TANK WHEN DOSING PRAZIPRO

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ALSO DO NOT ADD STRESS REDUCING AGENTS OR WATER CONDITIONERS LIKE PRIME TO YOUR TANK WHEN DOSING PRAZIPRO

You can add prime to the tank, you mentioned it in the page you quoted and I also tried it several times.
"conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines."
"There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro"

Anyways, if you can move the fish to QT tank its much better to treat than in reef. But if you are willing to dose in reef make sure to follow exact directions on bottle, make sure no carbon, uv, or skimmer running.

Also prazipro might suppress the appetite of the fish, and they might stop eating, so observe your fish and ensure its eating and healthy.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black ich looks like little black dots typically. The fact we have white splotches makes me wonder about stress spots or infection.

Can you post photos of the ailment(s)?

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can add prime to the tank, you mentioned it in the page you quoted and I also tried it several times.
"conditioned with ULTIMATE or a combination of Liquid Buffered ClorAm-X and Stress-X to remove ammonia, chlorine and chloramines."
"There are no known contraindications to the use of Liquid PraziPro"

Anyways, if you can move the fish to QT tank its much better to treat than in reef. But if you are willing to dose in reef make sure to follow exact directions on bottle, make sure no carbon, uv, or skimmer running.

Also prazipro might suppress the appetite of the fish, and they might stop eating, so observe your fish and ensure its eating and

Good to know however cloram-x isn't a binding agent in removes the ammonia and chlorine from the water , prime Is a binding agent along with other water conditioners and stress guards so we're the problem comes from is O2 levels can be affected with these binding agents. Prime is usually over dosed and when this happens the fish can suffocate so as a general guideline imo do not use binding agents use another product like cloram-x or be extremely careful when dosing

OP
OP
Dmb092182

Dmb092182

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya the only think I'm aware of that might be affected would be feather dusters and worms.
Black ich looks like little black dots typically. The fact we have white splotches makes me wonder about stress spots or infection.

Can you post photos of the ailment(s)?[/QUOT
I will post a pic when I get home. He has swam in and out of my trap yesterday so he is used to it so I plan on giving him a dip today hopefully. Still eating like a horse so I know is doing well but would like to get rid of the 1 to spots of black ich that have been on him and moving.

aykwm

Research Addict!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well overdosing medications or chemicals will most likely have bad results in tank. Overdosing a lot of prime in aquarium free of any medication will yield same results, but probably fish under medication are stressed and will have severe reaction, especially that some fish are sensitive to prazipro. Anyway dosing prime to the manufacturer recommendation should be fine and no negative effects should be seen.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well overdosing medications or chemicals will most likely have bad results in tank. Overdosing a lot of prime in aquarium free of any medication will yield same results, but probably fish under medication are stressed and will have severe reaction, especially that some fish are sensitive to prazipro. Anyway dosing prime to the manufacturer recommendation should be fine and no negative effects should be seen.

+1 Overdosing can cause ill effects to the fish, underdosing can fail to eradicate the pathogen. So, it's important to dose accurately.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 114 74.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 10 6.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 4 2.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back